• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved How do I apply the bonuses that books and objects bring?

Is there a message that shows objects and books that combines on the forum or someone can make all the list on that subject. It's hard to guess which object goes with which book to get a bonus
Items are items, whether they're objects or books. As long as they show any "+Luck", then they'll combine.

So are all the objects marked with their bonuses now? The version I'm playing has hidden bonuses for many items (not books or equipment) but you only need one of them, or a couple in combination.

Hook

So are all the objects marked with their bonuses now? The version I'm playing has hidden bonuses for many items (not books or equipment) but you only need one of them, or a couple in combination.
That depends on the realism mode. Higher realism modes tend to hide item skill contributions.

"Seadog" mode, which I play, shows skill contributions from books and items, but not from crystals and minerals. Those can be set to give or not give bonuses by the "ITEM_REALISM" toggle in "InternalSettings.h"; the default setting is 0, i.e. that these objects are not disabled so do provide bonuses, but don't display them.

How many items you need to provide a +1 bonus is, I believe, dependent on difficulty level. At "Seadog" level objects provide 1/3 of a bonus point.

"Seadog" mode, which I play, shows skill contributions from books and items
"Seadog" is a difficulty level, but the showing or not of skill contributions does NOT depend on difficulty. It is linked to the Realism Mode instead.
While I realise that higher realism generally also adds some extra difficulty to the gameplay, Realism Modes and Difficulty Levels are two completely independent things.
There seems to have been some confusion on that this past week....

How many items you need to provide a +1 bonus is, I believe, dependent on difficulty level. At "Seadog" level objects provide 1/3 of a bonus point.
Correct for the Experimental version of the Beta 4.1 WIP. :yes

Well, yes. In non-experimental versions, items provide a full +1 point bonus, not a fraction.

I play "Seadog" difficulty, "Realistic" mode. The same comments about which skill contributions I can see still apply. ;)

I play "Seadog" difficulty, "Realistic" mode. The same comments about which skill contributions I can see still apply. ;)
Very true. I just wanted to clarify that wasn't because of the Difficulty Level, but because of your Realism Mode setting.
Somebody else was confused on the difference between "Difficulty" and "Realism" earlier this week, so I just wanted to avoid any confusion here. :doff

Sorry but I am still confused about the last posts, so I have to ask for some more clarification: As far as I understood in realistic game mode under standard settings in internalsettings.h skill contribution of items and books should be active and visible, while skill contribution by minerals etc. are active but invisible?, I guess this is right so far.

In addition there is no dependency on the difficulty on what is shown or not if I understand the following quote correctly:
Pieter Boelen said:
"Seadog" is a difficulty level, but the showing or not of skill contributions does NOT depend on difficulty.

Now the confusing part: In contrast to the stock 28th July version and the experimental 7th october version, in the non experimental version with the fixes update included no contributions of items or books are shown at all for me. Tried different settings in internalsettings.h, There I can enable that the effects of minerals are shown, skill contribution of items and books are either completely disabled or just not shown. Going back to any of the other versions is solving this issue.

So my guess is, something about skill contribution activity or displaying is going wrong in that version or is handled differently.

As far as I understood in realistic game mode under standard settings in internalsettings.h skill contribution of items and books should be active and visible, while skill contribution by minerals etc. are active but invisible?
If I remember correctly, then you are indeed right.

In addition there is no dependency on the difficulty on what is shown or not if I understand the following quote correctly:
Absolutely true. :yes

Now the confusing part: In contrast to the stock 28th July version and the experimental 7th october version, in the non experimental version with the fixes update included no contributions of items or books are shown at all for me. Tried different settings in internalsettings.h, There I can enable that the effects of minerals are shown, skill contribution of items and books are either completely disabled or just not shown. Going back to any of the other versions is solving this issue.
Those type of item skill contributions (and their showing) are set when you start a New Game (for the duration of that game).
This is because it is part of the "initialization" process that is normally run only at the start of a game.
However, you can force this to refresh using the F11 button.

So if you switch realism modes in mid-game, this will not change.
But when you press F11, that should update it to match with the new Realism Mode.

Those type of item skill contributions (and their showing) are set when you start a New Game (for the duration of that game).
This is because it is part of the "initialization" process that is normally run only at the start of a game.
However, you can force this to refresh using the F11 button.

So if you switch realism modes in mid-game, this will not change.
But when you press F11, that should update it to match with the new Realism Mode.

I tried with F11, but as I wasn´t sure if this particular thing is included in the reinitialization I also started several new games with different settings (but always in realistic game mode) and the skill contributions by items and books were never shown (or maybe not even active) in that particular version (28th July with the fixes); in all other recent versions (so stock 28th July, or levis 7th october version) everything works as you described above.

Is anyone using the same version at the moment, than maybe this person could have a look if the skill contributions are shown correctly.

@Pieter Boelen: do you happen to know which file produces the display of skill contributions in inventory and stores? Presumably that file was changed as part of one of the fixes and was broken rather than fixed...

@Pieter Boelen: do you happen to know which file produces the display of skill contributions in inventory and stores? Presumably that file was changed as part of one of the fixes and was broken rather than fixed...
As far as I'm aware, that is all handled through the "hidden" attribute in initItems.c, so it seems quite doubtful to me that got changed.

The actual interface files would be PROGRAM\INTERFACES\items.c for the Inventory screen and itemsbox.c and itemstrade.c for the other related ones.
But it seems unlikely to me that anything was changed in there since 28 July 2016 that you included in your "fixes only" archive. :confused:

I did a complete reinstall now and downloaded the post 28th july fixes again, any of this seems to solve the problem. Still confused what caused the problem but seems as it was a problem of my own installation and nothing with the provided files; sry for causing trouble here...

I did a complete reinstall now and downloaded the post 28th july fixes again, any of this seems to solve the problem. Still confused what caused the problem but seems as it was a problem of my own installation and nothing with the provided files; sry for causing trouble here...
Glad to hear you managed to sort it out! :cheers

Back