• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How finished are the various storylines!

It depends on whether somebody takes up work on it.
At the moment, nobody is working on it and it looks like nobody will.
So at the moment, it would appear like it will never be made.
But theoretically, it could be made.
If you would work on it, for example, we'll help you as much as we can. :yes

Pieter, is Captain Magee's opening post to this thread up to date? Also, maybe I could volunteer to this quest writing thing and typos correction too, if it does not require programming skills.

I've finished off "The Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower". If you make wrong choices during the game then, as stated there, you can end up hanged for mutiny or stuck in a French prison. If you get things right then you marry Maria, optionally go on a further quest to hunt down some traitors, then switch to Free Play.

"Bartolomeu of Portugues" and "Assassin" are being worked on by @Bartolomeu o Portugues.

"Escapades of a Chevalier" is no longer a separate storyline. It's one of many starting scenarios for Free Play, while the "Vogelstruijs" quest is now a side quest which can be played from any storyline or from Free Play. Start Free Play as a Rogue or Gambler, or more specifically as Jean de la Croix.

"Master and Commander" is also no longer a separate storyline, but a Free Play starting scenario. Start as Naval Officer, British, specifically Jack Aubrey.

Not mentioned in the opening post is "Ardent", which is my storyline and is still being worked on. It didn't exist until the beginning of this year, which is why it's not listed in a post dated 2009. xD

That leaves "Devlin Opera", listed in the opening post as "Blaze & Beatrice Devlin". That one is open for someone to finish. Ideally whoever works on it should have played "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales" because it's based on what passes for a storyline in that game. But nobody has cared enough about "Devlin Opera" to do anything with it until now, so if you want to take it in some other direction, it's unlikely anyone will object - if they do, tell them they should have done the job themselves. :D

Quest writing certainly does require programming skills. Typo correction does not, as the "dialog.h" files, logbook files and questbook files are plain text.

I've finished off "The Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower". If you make wrong choices during the game then, as stated there, you can end up hanged for mutiny or stuck in a French prison. If you get things right then you marry Maria, optionally go on a further quest to hunt down some traitors, then switch to Free Play.

Do you mean marrying Maria is the "real" ending and you can keep playing on after?

"Master and Commander" is also no longer a separate storyline, but a Free Play starting scenario. Start as Naval Officer, British, specifically Jack Aubrey.

Would people agree on turning the "Master and Commander" a true storyline faithful to the movie, since "Escapades of a Chevalier" is already a Free Play scenario?

Not mentioned in the opening post is "Ardent", which is my storyline and is still being worked on. It didn't exist until the beginning of this year, which is why it's not listed in a post dated 2009. xD

:p

That leaves "Devlin Opera", listed in the opening post as "Blaze & Beatrice Devlin". That one is open for someone to finish. Ideally whoever works on it should have played "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales" because it's based on what passes for a storyline in that game. But nobody has cared enough about "Devlin Opera" to do anything with it until now, so if you want to take it in some other direction, it's unlikely anyone will object - if they do, tell them they should have done the job themselves. :D

:rofl you are :cool:, I don't have AoPCT, but if I decide to get into this project I might either buy the game on GOG, or watch a let's play on You Tube if I don't feel like it. Maybe I could finish the main quest and adding some cool brand new side quests.

Quest writing certainly does require programming skills. Typo correction does not, as the "dialog.h" files, logbook files and questbook files are plain text.

Then I might get Typo correction going on first while I learn what's needed for quest writing. Is it all that complicated?

What about the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, only the first one has been reproduced in-game?

Before I forget, do people here in PiratesAhoy! like the movie "Cutthroat Island"? It has been ages since last time I watched it, but I remember I loved it back then. If I really get into this and learn how do to it I might make this new storyline as well.

With the latest update, the Hornblower storyline extends a bit after the marriage and eventually turns to free play.

The Free Play storyline features a lot of different starting characters. The Tales of a Chevalier and Master & Commander ones are only the tip of the iceberg there.
Anyway, a proper Jack Aubrey storyline would always be welcome.
But since we have Hornblower already, I wouldn't consider it a huge priority.

There are several people here who do quest writing. When it comes to coding, quest writing is still relatively straightforward and can be a good thing to start with.

We've had plenty plans for adding more PotC film story content, but nobody ever made it happen.

If you know where to look, there is quite some Cutthroat Island influence in the game already.
At least four stock game character models are based directly on that film.

You may also have noticed that the main menu music in our mod isn't the PotC film theme, which may be considered a bit weird.
Reason is that I am in charge of modpack compilation and since the Cutthroat Island music is so much better than that for PotC, I just had to add that instead.

So yes, you can say I quite like that film.
Definitely the most straightforward pirate film I've ever seen and I've seen rather a lot. :cheeky

It may take time, bit knowing you, you WILL finish it.
You have more resilience with quest writing than anyone else I know! :onya

Do you mean marrying Maria is the "real" ending and you can keep playing on after?

In as much as you only get there if you haven't fallen into one of the trap endings, sort of. After marrying Maria (which now has a proper church ceremony), you're summoned to Naval HQ, where you're given your orders that effectively turn the game into Free Play. But there are hints for one final, optional quest to tie up a couple of loose ends from the main story.

Would people agree on turning the "Master and Commander" a true storyline faithful to the movie, since "Escapades of a Chevalier" is already a Free Play scenario?
I shouldn't think anyone would object to a "Master and Commander" full storyline being written. However, if you're thinking of doing that...

:rofl you are :cool:, I don't have AoPCT, but if I decide to get into this project I might either buy the game on GOG, or watch a let's play on You Tube if I don't feel like it. Maybe I could finish the main quest and adding some cool brand new side quests.
... and this...
Before I forget, do people here in PiratesAhoy! like the movie "Cutthroat Island"? It has been ages since last time I watched it, but I remember I loved it back then. If I really get into this and learn how do to it I might make this new storyline as well.
... and this as well, you're going to have some serious work! I suggest you pick whichever one of these storylines you like best and concentrate on it. ;)

I'm probably the only person here who preferred "Cutthroat Island" to "Pirates of the Caribbean". :p Not being much of a fan of supernatural silliness, I'm more interested in a good old pirate romp with a treasure hunt and live characters than in zombie part-time skeletons and cursed coins.

I like Cutthroat Island and PotC both, for different reasons.
PotC is vastly entertaining and the first film is quite clever and well done.
But nothing beats Cutthroat Island on all out pirateyness and it also has the best music by far.
And a final sea battle that is quite cool, rather than silly. :woot

Back