• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How many quests are in Build 14?

rogueranger1993

Landlubber
I have a friend who's interested in the game, but he wants to know the exact number of main and side quests in the game before getting it - can anybody give me this number? I don't know how to go about getting it myself, unfortunately. Thanks!

See here for full details: New Horizons Quests | PiratesAhoy!
That list is technically out of date, because @Grey Roger recently added another brand new side quest.

So:
8 full, unique and extensive main quests
1 unfinished main quest
1 free play storyline where you are limited mainly by your imagination
35 specific side quests
8 types of repeatable random side quests "to keep you busy"

These are guaranteed to keep you busy for quite a long while! :cheeky

I have a friend who's interested in the game, but he wants to know the exact number of main and side quests in the game before getting it - can anybody give me this number? I don't know how to go about getting it myself, unfortunately. Thanks!
I thought you had already downloaded and played the mod. ;) So you should be able to get a quick overview of the various main storylines.

I'm gonna guess his 'friend' was asking on another forum.

upload_2017-9-5_7-58-52.png

His account over there.
upload_2017-9-5_8-4-52.png

I'm gonna guess his 'friend' was asking on another forum.
I've got to admit, because of the specific timing and subject of this question, I am surprised in exactly zero ways.
Doesn't matter though; the number of quests in PotC:NH is no secret whatsoever.
It is documented right here on our Wiki: New Horizons Quests | PiratesAhoy!
Plus this page: New Horizons Side Quest List | PiratesAhoy!
That's where I got the numbers from in my own post. Took virtually no time whatsoever.

Of course technically the length of the quests might also play a role, if you really want to compare. Plus the complexity, replayability and their individual uniqueness.
I wish the developers on Eras the best of luck in adding an equal amount of that as we have done over the years.
If they manage to actually do that, I'll gladly congratulate them on completing a gargantuan task! I'll be truly impressed.

I have no desire for PotC:NH to be "better than Eras" and honestly couldn't care less about the need to compare.
New Horizons is what it is. If people like it, good for them! If people don't, I hope they have fun enjoying something else.

I haven't a clue why they're talking about the source code in relation to quests anyway.
We've never had the luxury of the source code, yet we've added a substantial number of quests all the same.
In other words: They never needed it and anyone on their team could add quests whenever they want to.

If such comparisons are being made, I'd be interested to know whether the "three times the number of quests or more" for CoAS are full storylines or short, partial stories? "Tales of a Sea Hawk", for example, consists of several sections and may very well be the equivalent of several CoAS quests.

And that's as far as I'm going with comparisons. If anyone wants to talk about PoTC:NH quests, I'm happy to join in. If someone wants to turn it into a oneupmanship contest against another game, I'm going to get bored and fall sleep. :D

If such comparisons are being made, I'd be interested to know whether the "three times the number of quests or more" for CoAS are full storylines or short, partial stories?
According to the touchy Poll - What Version Are You Playing And Why thread:
French National Questline
Dutch National Questline
Spanish National Questline
English National Questline
Pirate Questline
Peter Blood
Kill the Beggars
Austin Quest
Hunting the "Blue Bird"
The Double-Barreled Musket
Tenochtitlan
The Enchanted City
City of Abandoned Ships
Ascold Quest
The Ship of Souls
La bella Isabella
As far as I know, virtually all the above are technically side* quests, but they are far longer than most sidequests in PotC and PotC:NH.
The exception is Peter Blood, which is a relatively short main quest that provides a custom opening before switching to free play.
I have absolutely no clue how they compare in length to the main quests (=storylines) in NH.

Either way, this is comparing stock CoAS (no mods) with modded PotC (New Horizons), so it is apples and oranges really.
Based on everything I know, none of this should have any relation to Eras one way or another.

* = I consider a "side" quest to be a quest that relates in no way to the player character. It is therefore available to any and all player characters.
A "main" quest (or "storyline") does relate to the player character and would make no sense for any other character.
For example, "Strange Things Going on in the Caribbean" is a long quest in PotC, but it doesn't relate to the main character and is therefore a sidequest.
Devlin Opera, on the other hand, is unfinished (and therefore excluded from the default mod install), very short, but does relate to the main character and is therefore a main quest.
Similarly, it would make no sense to play through the "Horatio Hornblower" storyline as "Jack Sparrow" and therefore this is not normally possible in PotC:NH.

Back