• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to deal with those pesky rats

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
One of the most annoying aspects of COAS i find are the damn rats. They eat everything, mess up trader missions, eat food, (and possibly spread disease.)

One common way to deal with that problem would be to have...a cat or 2 on board. Not only were they good mousers but were also seen as 'good luck'
By no means am i trying to turn COAS into a fluffly cute game, but this would be a great way of dealing with our rat problem without having to use some idol or some other hogwash.

the cats would have to be pretty expensive mind you, as the rat problem would be too easy to deal with if you only needed to buy one cat and the problem was solved. I think that the number of cats required on board would be need to relative to the size of the ship. Also the number of rats on board would have to decrease gradually. As time went along, the amount of disease on board, and the amount of medince needed to treat illnesses could go down as well.
( http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/animals.html )

A very nice idea and the Luck can be implemented by giving colors to the cat .. black cat -10 luck, white cat +5 luck or something like that .. and yha pretty expensive .. and they should be able to be acquired at a ship capture to heh :)
Maybe buy them from a tavern !? Or just catch them in town/port lol

We have a cat for CMv3. Only one color :razz. It has the same effects as the rat totem but easier to find and cheaper. Although when I say easier to find, don't expect every store in the Caribbean to have one, it's easier to find compared to the rat totem, but in itself it's still hard to find.

Your colors idea and giving the cats luck properties is interesting, I haven't thought of that.

One of the most annoying aspects of COAS i find are the damn rats. They eat everything, mess up trader missions, eat food, (and possibly spread disease.)

One common way to deal with that problem would be to have...a cat or 2 on board. Not only were they good mousers but were also seen as 'good luck'
By no means am i trying to turn COAS into a fluffly cute game, but this would be a great way of dealing with our rat problem without having to use some idol or some other hogwash.

the cats would have to be pretty expensive mind you, as the rat problem would be too easy to deal with if you only needed to buy one cat and the problem was solved. I think that the number of cats required on board would be need to relative to the size of the ship. Also the number of rats on board would have to decrease gradually. As time went along, the amount of disease on board, and the amount of medince needed to treat illnesses could go down as well.

Try this, it works fine for me:

Go to :\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\scripts , look for the "food" C -Data File und change it like on my screenshot. No more rats and no problems.

Try this, it works fine for me:

Go to :\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\scripts , look for the "food" C -Data File und change it like on my screenshot. No more rats and no problems.

thanks for that, but i was so desperate i did it earlier...lol

We have a cat for CMv3. Only one color :razz. It has the same effects as the rat totem but easier to find and cheaper. Although when I say easier to find, don't expect every store in the Caribbean to have one, it's easier to find compared to the rat totem, but in itself it's still hard to find.

Your colors idea and giving the cats luck properties is interesting, I haven't thought of that.

Glad to hear that its been done...great minds think alike...It just seems i'm a bit late...lol

Back