• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide How to get a very good start

HellSailor

Privateer
Storm Modder
This was an accidental discover in which I get totally rewarded. Important: I did it with Tales of a Sea Hawk right at the beginning, without getting out of Speighstown.

To begin with, you must start a new campaign of Tales of a Sea Hawk with your personal flag. Then you will meet Malcom Hatcher, who can teach you about the game. Follow his instructions, and when you are going to practice fight, you have to do this: In the part when Malcom can attack you, you have to practice a lot with him in order to get a 10 melee skill. To do this, you have to constantly say to him that you want to practice more, until you reach 10 melee skill. You can also improve your accuracy by shooting him with your pistol, although it’s very slowly. But now have to be warned, it can happen two things if you continue with the combat training:
  • Your sword brakes, so you can’t continue with the combat training and have to continue the storyline; or:

• Malcom’s sword gets broken, so you can practice more with him without taking serious damage (here is where I practice a lot with my pistol in order to increase my accuracy skill)
In order to have better efficiency of your character, you should do this: spend the points of abilities you have earned with the combat training in “gunman” and professional gunman”, and also “toughness”, which is a very important ability to have at the beginning of the game (and for the next things I will tell). Finally, you get a high level of ten more or less, and your health is around the 100 HP. Here is an example of it:
POTC2.jpg

This is the first post; i will continue in another post here.

After finishing Malcom’s traning, in order to have more XP, items, and some gold, you should go to Speightstown dungeon, right here:

POTC3.jpg

There, you have to fight against the bandits in the dungeon. Difficult, but with toughness, if you are very wounded, you can take a breath when there’s nobody and let your health recovers. With this place, after looting dead corpses, you will get a great stuff of blades and guns, but with not a high quality or variety. In this place, I went off and enter in the dungeon twice, in order to get more weapons. When you think you have enough with the dungeon, you can try to go to this place, inside the dungeon: The abbey of the maltese order.

POTC4.jpg

Next part of the guide in another post.

Not an easy place; the maltese monks are very dangerous and strong, but after killing them “twice”, you can get theirs swords (an average maltese knight sword) and some gold. By the way, here is a bug when I load this game in order to have the screenshots: Some skeletons were standing there and you couldn’t talk to them, but you could kill them and not taking any penalty on your reputation. Of course, those corpses could be looted.

POTC5 copiar.jpg

Finding the way out of the abbey is very hard, but once you find it (which is the same map as the port royale’s dungeon) you will find yourself next to the “false” church of Bridgetown in the new part of this city (yes, it is Bridgetown, not Speighstown), which is now the abbey of the maltese order. Here are my stats after that:

POTC6.jpg

After this, you can try going to the main entrance of that abbey, and you will find something like this:

POTC7.jpg

After killing all of them, you get more gold, XP, and maltese swords, which you can sell to the item traders, or street merchants. Now use the “fast travel” and go back to your ship’s deck, then go to the Speighstown’s port, and here is the glorious moment when you can get an excellent beginning right at the start of the game. It will be in another post.

Now when you are in Speighstown’s port, you should find between the citizens a normal item trader who is walking around if it’s possible. Furthermore, you have to notice and find a special guy here: His name is Gregor Samsa, and he’s also an excellent item trader with high quality items and weapons. He looks like Barbossa but in dark. Here is Gregor Samsa so you can recognize him:

POTC8.jpg

Then, you talk to the workshop, next to the sea:

POTC9.jpg

Talk to him several times until it says to you that there’s an ambush. Accept it, and then go fight against some of the bandits. But don’t kill all of them!! Here’s the trick: Let the bandits kill the citizens (including gregor samsa and other item traders walking around).

POTC10.jpg

And when you see that they are dead, kill the rest of the bandits. Then, loop their corpses, including gregor samsa and other item traders, and then you get your reward:

POTC13.jpg

But most important: You don’t get any penalty from letting them killed by the bandits, so you can get all their extraordinary items and his money… for free! These are my last stats with this ambush (damn, I’m really rich :p ), after looting a item trader walking around and gregor samsa:

POTC11.jpg

Between the items of gregor samsa, you can find the most powerful spyglass in the game/mod (which is now nearly impossible to find it): The Masterwork Spyglass.

POTC12.jpg

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how to get rich in Tales of a Sea Hawk, with high level, lots of items and weapons, and abilities and skills, right at the start of the game, without sailing out of speighstown port. I didn’t use any cheats here, that’s for sure. Free of cheats!

YO-HO YO-HO A Pirate’s life for me! :bird:

Oh, i forgot something important: When gregor samsa is dead, you will never see him again in the port, so it's bad because you can't be more rich :(

Hehe. We don't advertise that aspect too much and only say to practice with Malcolm a lot. :duel: I am usually satisfied with a melee skill of 4.

Going into the dungeon is also a good idea, but you went into the Maltese Abbey too? :8q Those monks just standing there is strange and might be because of your low level. They all attack me when I go down there.

You are good enough to survive the ambush? They always kill me so I never found out about all the loot.

That's because i must have always 10 melee skill, with that you can kill enemies more easy. And toughness will also help you to recover your health faster. That's why i make this guide in that order, because the higher level you have, the more success you will have.

Well... about that bug in the Maltese abbey is not all explain. This is the situation: You go down there, you fight against the monks "twice" and then you can loot their corpses. When you do that, does the monk talk to you? With the conversation you can get directly their gold and sword, or listening to the story. Unfortunately, not all the corpses can be looted as expected, and some get "buged". The bug is that the corpse of the monk which is supossed to talk to you appear, but it doesn't talk to you. Even if i try to talk to him, nothing happens. This may happen because if you try to loot so fast the corpses you will get some buged skeletons. In order to get their things, you have to kill them, but it decreases very fast your reputation (because of hurting "unarmed" civilians, or in this case, skeletons without weapons). So... imagine i have left some of this buged skeletons, and i die. When i load a new game, this buged skeletons stay there, but when you attack them and kill them, you don't receive any penalty on your reputation: it remains the same. (This last part is explained on the photo of the bug). You can loot their corpses exactly the same as talking to the monk and get the reward.

And yes, as you see, my health is 140 before the ambush, so it's enough to take some beats of your enemys. That's why i choose also toughness and have a 10 skill on melee. But remember: you have to let them split into two forces: the first, small, which attacks you, and the second to atack the citizens. The citizens with swords can beat them without many difficulties, but mostly of them will die. Between them gregor samsa will also die, so here you can get the "reward". Don't go directly to them; only defend yourself against those they attack you.

But please, read all the description, i think it's all explained very well. If you think it doesn't offer you all the information, please tell me, and i will change if it's neccesary.

No, you explained it very well. The bug in the Maltese Abbey dungeon has not been mentioned that I know of, and I only vaguely remember that happening.

It will take a coder to look into this but there are no coders in POTC right now. :shrug

Ah, there's one more thing also i haven't mentioned of that bug: It often happens that the console fails a lot and it gets "frozen", so some times i can't find where is the place to loot a corpse. Only in the maltese abbey.

Damn, how do you even Get Out of the Crypt?! Alive?! I even faced one of them who has FOUR lives! :facepalm

Last edited:
Hehehe.... i forgot to say that in that part game crashes a lot... and i have to load many times, because i got killed a lot.... So yes, it's not easy to survive there... if you have good level and melee skills and toughness, it should be more easier. But of course, that's the emotion of going down there; there's a risk to get the treasure, not? :doff

Of course, if you don't like to be there, you can skip that part and go directly to speighstown's port in order to get free money :woot

By the way, in the abbey i wasn't very interested of searching that treasure. I was only going down there to get more XP, credits, and swords, and not searching the treasure (if in that place there's one). Maybe when i get more levels and i get stronger, i will check out that treasure :D

EDIT: Yes, DavyJack... as you have said.... i had to fight against a skeleton which had FOUR lives... not long ago.

Last edited:
Yeah, my game crashed a lot when I got there. I wonder if there's an ULTIMATE PRIZE after beating all those monks or a MAP to a TREASURE w/in the Abbey.
Well, I say there should be, with all those monks patrolling the place. And also in the false church as you say it. I say you need many companions if you want to stand a chance with them monks.

Well, down there, i shouldn't take companions or officers there, unless is danielle on god mode :aar

I usually go there without help, because the AI of the officers is not so good, and you can lose them easily. They also sometimes could get "frozen", so that's why i don't get help from them.

I think the maltese abbey should be rewied and fix some weird things. I know nobody can help us now with POTC, but these bugs are for the list of improvements for the next version, i hope ;)

I would like to ask Pieter if there are any treasures on that part of the maltese abbey, just from the place i visited.

Nah, don't risk officers when you're going to places like that, just bring up regular sailors.

Just talk to one of your sailors at the ship deck.

There's even an option for 20 men that will come with you.

If you go all the way down there you will eventually come to a place where you need to dig. I dug up something that had over 1,000 HP and decided I had done enough down there. :wp

Never been back.

Back