• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How to make a dialog work

Killerjoy96

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Provisional
I have a question i'm trying to make an own storyline and I create a model on a place but i can't talk to him. So if someone could post a little guide on that would be most appreciated

Could you post what you have already done? You made a character init file entry? What dialog file do you have assigned for him?

I made a character standing in the Douwesen townhall. I made a dialog file and also i´m looking into the quest file to try to connect it to him. But latest chance i couldn´t have a try on that one cause my game starts going very slow when I create something new for the game. Do I need to use F12 than? Cause I haven´t tried that yet

Pieter here are the files that I already have. Can you tell me what i should adjust don't look at the quests reaction etc. Cause I just copied the file from Hornblower and changed it from Captain Keene into Piet Hein. Need to change the name still but just for trying it out I used it. So can you tell me what i need to change?

Attachments

• Story.c
    978 bytes · Views: 208
  • Piet Hein_dialog.c
    2.6 KB · Views: 197
  • quests_reaction.c
    766 KB · Views: 234
I've downloaded your files and will look at them when I've got time. Maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky.

One thing that occurred to me: Do you have an accompanying "Piet Hein_dialog.h" file in your \English subfolder?

When you try to talk to your character, what actually happens?

I do have a .h file but it's impossible to upload here.
When i try to talk to my character nothing happens really nothing. No crash but also no dialog

You can upload any files if you put them in a ZIP.

Have you tried to enable error logging as per the FAQ? See link in my signature.
Error.log may provide a hint on what is wrong.

will post .h dialog file and error.log later today right now i'm on my laptop and not on my computer so can't access the files

Here's the files I just packed everything from the dialog and character even when i allready gave it to you but I thought it was handier in one zip file. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Dialog.zip
    75.2 KB · Views: 172
Thanks Armada; might as well. :doff

I downloaded your files and will look in a bit.

Iv managed to create a dialog but Im having a few problams:

How am I creating the man I am talking to?
How can I set his spawn place?
How can I set my spawn place at the start of my story?

Characters go in your [Storyline]\Characters\init files. That's where you'll define his location too.

Storyline start location is in your [Storyline]\StartStoryline.c .

Thank you for the fast reply mate.

Got couple more questions :)

Is there away to find all the ships names? In order to make the charachter start with a spesific ship.
How can I make a bot run towards me and start the dialog?

Thanks.

All ships models are in RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships and defined in PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c .

For the NPC walking towards you and starting dialog, that is what happens at the beginning of the Assassin storyline. This is the code that makes it happen:
Code:
            sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, "Sailor15", "goto", "goto6");
            LAi_SetHP(sld, 80.0, 80.0);
            sld.dialog.filename = "Divers_dialog.c";
            sld.dialog.currentnode = "begin_1";            
            sld.id = "ETLINGCREW";
            LAi_SetActorType(characterfromID("ETLINGCREW"));                        
            LAi_ActorDialog(characterfromID("ETLINGCREW"), pchar, "", 6.0, 1.0);
You can find that at the top of PROGRAM\Storyline\Assassin\quests\quests_reaction.c .

The best way to do storyline coding is to think of instances already in the game that do the same that you want, then searching for the code that makes it happen.
Then you can copy that and adapt it as needed.

Back