• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How To Play On Windows 7?

Mine too! :)

I remember when i first got my PC game disks and through the process of trying to get the build mod to run ok that first time(thanks Pieter and all!), i posted a pic, or the link to the amazon page of the version i had bought and a few people here thought it might be a pirate version!('ubisoft exclusive', 'Focus essentials' 2xCD ROM set), and why i was having some weird issues ;)

It was legit though....and i think i still needed to use the disks in Build Mod 12? But not now(which is good for getting rarer game disks).

The Build mod has contained a no-CD patch for quite some time. :wp

That Ubisoft Exclusive thing is a series of budget-priced titles they sold for a few years which seems to have been discontinued. And, yes, they kinda do look like pirated versions - my copy is from the same series. xD:

I'm not aware of that; the No-CD patch was in there before I ever joined.

:gday

Yes Potc works with Win7. :) But! There are a few things that can cause it to crash. This comes up periodically, but my search didn't bring up a thread where this is already discussed. So... :rolleyes:

The first thing is to not install it into program files. Windoze security will not let it run there. Install it straight to your C: drive.
If PotC still does not run, it might be that a DEP exception must be created. This is not hard. (Data Execution Prevention)
Next would be ffdshow. This one got me. If you have it an exception will also have to be made there.

You have a lap top, so you might have Intel graphics installed. Important! When installing Build14 full you will see a box where you can install ENB and/or Swiftshader. Do not install either one. Get PotC running first. If you have Intel Graphics, then you need Swiftshader installed now.

Let us know of any questions you may have. :cheers

Hello Hylie Pistoff,

I hope you can offer some advice. I've been having a similar problem getting Pirates of the Caribbean to work on my Windows 7 system... I can get the game to the main screen but when I try to start a new game it turns black and I get this error message "ENGINE has stopped working...". I'm okay with computers and tried the two fixes you suggested, first putting the files on the C: Drive rather than in the Program Files and also creating a DEP exception for the engine.exe file. I think that's what I was supposed to do. but I wasn't sure if you what you were referring to when you said to create a DEP exception for the ffdshow.

If you could offer me some advice (in dummy terms) it would be greatly appreciated. I loved playing this game and it's been years since I have, so I'd really enjoy being able to again if possible.

Thank you very much for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated.

KnightOwl

Yes, sometimes you have to create a DEP because of your security settings. I did. Since I posted that I found that a DEP for ffdshow was not enough, and had to delete it. There are no negative side effects and POTC runs much better now.

The most common problem making new installs not run is forgetting to run the rename.bat in the POTC folder. Sometimes even us modders forget to do that. :eek:ops2

What kind of video card are you using? POTC does not like Intel graphics and that could be part of the problem.

What graphics card do you have? Did the game work before installing any mods?

Yes, sometimes you have to create a DEP because of your security settings. I did. Since I posted that I found that a DEP for ffdshow was not enough, and had to delete it. There are no negative side effects and POTC runs much better now.

The most common problem making new installs not run is forgetting to run the rename.bat in the POTC folder. Sometimes even us modders forget to do that. :eek:ops2

What kind of video card are you using? POTC does not like Intel graphics and that could be part of the problem.

Dear Hylie and Pieter,

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I'm pretty sure the graphics card I have is an Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5). This is a newer computer and I only recently bought the games after years of not playing. So I've never had Pirates running on this computer before. If this is an issue of not running the rename.bat or my graphics card, is there a way to work around that to get the game to work?

Once again, thank you so much for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated,

KnightOwl

If you have looked in your POTC folder and there is no .bat files, then you have already run them.

For Intel graphics you want to use Swiftshader. You can get it here. http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads/swiftshader-v20-demo

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/

Don't forget to read through the FAQ, it probably has the answers you are after :keith

so after a few months of trying and failing to get this game working correctly on my laptop I have finely found the solution to getting it working! HOORAY!

At the time I was playing a lot of Minecraft and the game was running but not getting the FPS you would expect on a laptop such as mine. So I looked into the problem and I noticed that everything on my computer (the games that is) was automatically using the Integrated piece of crap, and I was unaware of this. so I play around with my Navidia control panel and see an option to choose which graphics card I want. So I choose to run Minecraft using the Navidia graphics card and im getting a frame rate of about 150 FPS. and from the months of trying to workout why POTC wasn't working on my laptop I found out it was the integrated graphics card that made it unplayable, and I thought "I wonder if I can make POTC run with my Navidia graphics card" I tried it and it worked perfectly!

it was actually a few months ago when I did this and in those past months ive learnt a lot (well.... more than I did) about computers and the solution seems so obvious and im kicking myself for not realising such an obvious solution to the problem. Thanks go out to everyone who helped me getting working. Can't wait for the New Horizons Mod to be completed and be as great as we all know it will be.

Congratulations, mate; good to hear! We'll try to release Beta 2 before the end of the year; that's promising to be pretty darn good already! :woot

Hi,

(Apologies if someone has already suggested this): I had the typical crash after starting a new game on windows 7 and tried every suggestion under the sun. None worked for me until I found a site (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-7-922313) which provides a link to the "Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6" (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7352).

I downloaded the "ApplicationCompatibilityToolkitSetup.exe". This includes a program called "Compatability Administrator (32-bit)" which has a list of what appears to be every game in existence, including - surprisingly - Pirates of the Caribbean by Akella. The tool seemed to install a fix and after playing the game and restarting my computer the game now works.

Thought this might be helpful for anyone who has tried EVERYTHING and still gets the irritating "ENGINE stopped working" crash (of which there appear to be many).

Cheers.

I have the disk edition from a while back as I played the original xbox version of it and decided to buy it on PC. But when ever I try to install it, it gets to 27-28% I get a 'Component Transfer Error' then giving the the error: Data Error (CRC) and the file: data2.cab, anyone know if there is something I need to change or edit to get past this error?

Currently running Win 7 64-Bit

That sounds like a damaged cd. There are ways to repair scratches if they are not too deep.

Back