• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Howdy - an introduction

Conner

Landlubber
Just wanted to drop by, and say howdy, and I am glad to have found this site, and the NEW "old" games.

To get one thing done right off the bat, a big shout out to Armada for his assistance. I was having difficulties registering, because the confirmation emails were not getting through on Yahoo mail for some reason, and I did not want to start trying to change email addresses, at least without someone here knowing I was not a spammer, or someone else with nefarious intent. So I contacted a couple of people here, and Armada came through, thanks Armada.

The general info. I am a 56 year old, and have been married 35 years come November. I am father to 5 daughters and 1 son, and also grand-father to .... 7, 8, 9, ,,,,, Awww, who the hell can keep up.

I have spent a little less than half of my life serving my country, my first 14 as an Army brat, and then 12 in the USA.

Pertinent to here, I did quite a bit of sailing as a youth and into my teens. Almost entirely on smaller craft, less than 20 feet, and primarily on a 16' Hobie Cat, and I spent many many days on blue summer waters (fresh water) sailing. But that was MANY years ago. I do still know the difference between a jib, a spinnaker, etc ...

I have had PotC sitting on the shelf for years, never really got into it. Then the other day, I finished Assassin's Creed 3, and realized that the naval battles were my favorite part of the game. I am not buying AC4 yet, too high priced for me, will wait till it goes on a big sale somewhere, anyway, I started looking for something that would give me the naval gaming experiences I am now craving.

Then I remembered that I had a couple of older sailing games, and wondered if there were any updates, then I found this site ....... and I am impressed with all that you modders have done with PotC, not to mention the new games in the mix.

So here I am, able and willing to do what I can to assist around here. I am computer literate, been dual booting Windows and Linux since the mid90s, back when you had to configure and MAKE the XWindows desktop.

I am not a programmer, but have some experience with scripting. And am willing to learn. Oh, and I have tons of time on my hands, as I am retired, so if I can help, let me know, even if I have to learn again how to do something ,,,

well this is long enough, glad to meet all of you, and I am sure you will be seeing me around .....

Ahoy @Conner! Welcome to the forum. :doff

I hear you tried to send me a message as well, but apparently that never got through.
Glad to hear @Armada managed to sort you out. :cheers

You're always welcome to join in the PotC modding effort.
We're currently working hard on getting Build 14 Beta 4 ready for a public release.
See here: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!
If you like, you can start out by testing and if there is something in the game or on the forum that tickles your fancy, you can join the modding too.

And of course Hearts of Oak can always use support as well.
You can get the latest public Demo from here: Downloads - Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas
And feedback is welcome here: Feedback | PiratesAhoy!

:ahoymate! Welcome aboard.

If you enjoy sailing then this is the place for you. The graphics of these old games aren't the best but the sailing is.
Beta 3 2015-03-16 08-56-00-55.jpg Beta3 2014-10-04 18-12-06-19.jpg Beta3 2014-11-08 22-40-46-67.jpg

Thanks for the Welcomes Pieter and Hylie.

@Pieter, yeah, I sent an email, to the address listed in your profile page, (not going to post it openly on the forums) but for some reason it did not get to you. I do not know why, but after I did not get an RE: , I knew there was no need in sending a 2nd, so starting looking for someone else (staff) here on the forums, with an email listed. I did not have much access without my account activation.

BTW, an uncle of mine told me what the word "Navy" breaks down to, he said it was the first thing that his boot-camp instructor said to his group of recruits. Never Again Volunteer Yourself. So for now, I won't volunteer for any specific chore, but let me say that if you have something tedious and mundane, something eating up your time, that you could invest in something more important, let me know ..... I can do tedious and mundane. ; )

@Hylie, yeah, while an old game, I am REALLY Impressed with what I see as far as game play goes. To be honest, I am still setting up and familiarizing myself with the keyboard controls. That is a chore in and of itself. But I am going to start a campaign tonight. Probably the one with the tutorial, but I really am wanting to get into a tacking and manuvering battle on the high seas.

Signing off for now,
Conner

Ahoy Conner, welcome aboard mate!

Your help would be most welcome! Don't worry about not having any particular knowledge about modding or programming, I am sure you will find something around here you will be interested in! Hell, I been here 12 years and really have no modding skills at all, the only real programming knowledge I have is with Basic! I have been running Linux for quite a while myself also, I remember Xwindows, loads of compiling fun there!

I have noticed that there is some wideness with Yahoo email addresses, I use Yahoo myself and occasionally have issues with forum emails. It may be something with Xenforo or one of the spam addons. Glad you made it here in any case! :onya

Don't take that "not volunteering" advise too seriously.
If nobody would volunteer for anything around here, there would be no mod.
Volunteering is what we pretty much rely on here. ;)

Back