• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide I got a monk on board my ship

Nelsonliang

Master Mariner
I was in Santa Domingo under the Dutch flag and wandering around the vendor when a monk ask to get on my ship, i agreed. Until the monk on board my ship, i couldn't get in any building. The monk said he will leave if i ever hoist the Jolly Roger flag (pirate flag). Has anyone encounter this before? Is that monk a prerequisite for a quest?

Is that monk a prerequisite for a quest?

Nope. He appears in a random city in the beginning of the game. This monk - something like officer. While he is on board - the team morale is constantly increasing. This allows you to swim with the full team on board.

About "Until the monk on board my ship, i couldn't get in any building". I first heard about it. On the Community Support nobody reported this bug. The licensed version of the game, all works correctly.

I don't know his function whether increasing the crew morale or my officer morale. I also don't know if he has wage like normal officer or not, though he keep on leveling up. But one of my good guy officer protests and leaves when i keep on raiding Spanish and pirate ships for loots and slaves to sell and captains to ransom. And my navigator (the guy i got out from jail) wanted to leave twice, i managed to convince him by giving him a large sum of money for the fist time, the second i threaten him and he stayed though it's against his own will.

I was hoping he can be used as an officer or somehow involves in an interesting quest, that's the only reason i keep him.

"I don't know his function whether increasing the crew morale or my officer morale"

increasing the crew morale this is his only function. while he on the ship the crew morale will be maximum. NOT officer moral, only crew.

"I also don't know if he has wage like normal officer or not".

Not. And a monthly salary , he also does not require.

"I was hoping he can be used as an officer or somehow involves in an interesting quest".

There are no quests related to monk.

"that's the only reason i keep him".

Why? As for me this is one of the most useful characters. He does not ask salary. He does not take an officer position ( has no effect on the officers limit). And he allows you to swim with a maximum crew of the ship (Without him, the crew morale will steadily decline due to the congestion of residential ship compartments). The only thing he asks not hoist the Jolly Roger flag.

Last edited:
Too bad i can't assign a post for him, i would have raise him as a purser, doctor and ship repair. I guess it's fine if it's about the crew morale since it's free of charge. Thanks for clearing things up with the monk.

I have another question regarding the monk. I was playing the "Slave Trade" quest when i got to attack a French ship in habour (the very port that i got the mission). I successfully boarded it, it turned out to be an ambush. I proceeded to kill the captain, looted and sunk the ship and sped out of there before i got sunk by the fort. Then i landed on a pirate port on the same island. After i went to the tavern to recruit some sailor, the mink left me. So here are the two questions that i need answers.
1/ Is it because i landed on a pirate hide out that he left? My reputation is unknown honest captain since i also do governor quest.
2/ Will i get him on board or gain or he is gone for good?

Back