• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug i just captured a ship and lost all sail controls

Mouelhy

Landlubber
well , i was just going around in the ocean , and i found this beautiful frigate , so i decide to capture it , and right after i do the ship kept spinning to the left , and i couldn't change the sails status , not even through the action menu, and i am not about to let it go :D, so , for now i just alt tabbed and i am waiting for you guys to tell me what to do :D

side notes: using the latest version as Pieter Boelen suggested 2 dec 2013 , and started a new game with the sparrow story line.

ok, so after 30 minutes of 3x - 30x speed the other ships finally left me alone and i survived , but still, u should look into that bug

Is you sailing level high enough so you can sail it? And is your leadership high enough?

I remember we had similar issues before because the captain character had the "sink" attribute applied to it.
However, that is now removed from all characters when you go onto the sea, so I don't know how that can still happen.
You couldn't have captured a sinking ship, could you? :shock

I also had this recently but I was because I had a character which was fresh from the start and I captured a tier 1 ship (godmode helped a bit :dance), I assumed it was due to the fact that I had no sailing skills what so ever or leadership. After giving myself IronWill it seemed to work better tough so I assumed it was because of this.

This was the cause last time in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c:
Code:
void Ship_SetSailState(int iCharacterIndex, int iSailState)
{
   if (iCharacterIndex < 0) return; // bugfix here too
   if (iSailState < 0) iSailState = 0;
   if (iSailState > 2) iSailState = 2;
// NK, Amokachi -->
   ref rCharacter = GetCharacter(iCharacterIndex);
   if (CheckAttribute(rCharacter, "Ship.Sink"))       return;
Which is the reason for this code in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\sea.c:
Code:
  for (c = 0; c <= GetCompanionQuantity(rPlayer); c++) {
     rCharacter = GetCharacter(GetCompanionIndex(rPlayer, sti(c)));
     DeleteAttribute(rCharacter, "Ship.Sink");     // PB: To make sure this is gone
   }

no, the ship was in good condition ( 60% or so ) , and even if my sailing wasn't high enough ( which i think it wasn't and i had a leadership of 1 ) :D , why would it keep spinning , it's as if i was turning to the left forever , and even when i press the battle sails or no sails at all , it's as if i had pressed nothing.

also , when i try to turn right it would only slow down the spinning left mode :D.
anyhow , it turned out good, my defense and repair are now at 10 :D, and right after i went to the map mode and then came back to sea, everything was fine and the ship had masts again (they were all knocked down when i was getting hammered with no ammo left :D )
if you'd like to know anything else , just tell me.

Not being able to raise/lower sails was probably related to my post above.
Spinning out of control can happen on 30x time compression. You have to be careful with that one.

Masts are automatically repaired on all location reloads to prevent flag errors.
The raise/lower sails problem should also be fixed on each location reload if it does occur.

The spinning ship bug? Put one of your officers in command of that ship until you make it to port and get it repaired. Then all will be well.

Apologies for raising an old thread, but this same problem is happening to me.

I captured a Tier 4 ship (I started out recently and am Level 9). After I captured it, I could not change her sails up or down. I could however, move left and right, although it was slow, probably due to no sails. I could also fire cannons.

I was able to get away from the battle and enter world map. I saved and reloaded the game. Then I could enter Sea and control sails.

So then I fought another battle, and captured another ship. My ship was pretty beat up-- so I switched to the new ship. Again I could not move sails up or down. No call outs saying my crew acknowledged. I left the Sea. Saved, reloaded the game and could move the sails again.

I am using the following build:
Build Version: Friday 16 May 2014
Build 14 Beta 3.2

Attached is my compile.log, error.log, and system.log.

I had also modified the InternalSettings.h to disable (set to ) DISCOVER_SAIL_TO and DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL. That is the only thing I have changed in any files.

Attachments

• compile.log
    99.7 KB · Views: 137
  • error.log
    895 bytes · Views: 140
  • system.log
    75.7 KB · Views: 145
I do remember that occasionally happening, mainly when taking control of a ship that the game considers to be "sinking".
Then I added a whole bunch of checks to prevent it, but apparently they don't quite always work. Annoying indeed. :modding

Yes that happens and the ship does not have to be damaged either. I get that sometimes when swapping ships in my fleet.

My cure is to raise all sails even when they are already up and then lower them. Remember that there is a 3 second delay before anything happens.

Thanks for the quick reply. When it happened to me, clicking 'W' or 'S' or going into the Quick Action 'Enter' menu and selecting any of the sail settings did nothing. So Hylie Pistof, you must have run into a different bug.

I'll keep an eye out for this bug again and report anything else I can find out about it. Anything else I should try when it happens again? Could I do something to tell you more about what's causing it?

Well, all I could see in your logs are some sea.ai and seadogs errors. Those are stock files. That kinda sounds like a corrupted install.

I've had the same problem, but I associated it with the one on land where you get stuck and can't walk, which is also the "W" and "S" keys getting confused. For me, entering the character menu with F2, then exiting it again always makes the buttons respond, both on land and at sea, even when F12 does nothing.

I once had a ship that always turned one way, but I think it was due to me holding a key during the transfer - I know in other programmes there can be confusion as to when a key is depressed or not if it starts that way, then the assumption is that it's always "on" until the next reload check.

I have a vague memory of that happening to me once - the ship wouldn't respond to any controls and all I could do was sail round in circles until everybody else went away and the battle ended. The fact that I was still sailing around in circles by the time everyone else went away was a bit of a clue that the ship was not sinking. :pirateraft

I'm not sure if the ship responded to the controls to raise or lower sails, but it didn't really matter compared to the inability to control its turn. I felt like the Bismarck after its rudder got torpedoed!

Back