• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

i sent a message to Bethesda and Disney

Red Back Dude

HoO Team Member
Promotion
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
so far this ,Disney has not responded so far but its only been 10 hours Xd

""
Response By Email (Joshua) (08/31/2014 06:12 PM)
Hello there, Drew!
It's no worries at all, man. I could totally understand your concern behind the game's scarcity especially given the modding community that's built up around it. As it turns out, we here at technical support have no information on upcoming releases or updates. Please keep posted to http://www.bethsoft.com for information on future releases and/or updates.
You could also try to get in touch with the developers, Akella. They developed the game with the license that Disney gave them and they may be able to help out more. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. Please let me know if there's any other questions or concerns, and I'll do my best to answer them! Take care and have an awesome day.
Warm Regards,
Agent Joshua
Tech. Support
Bethesda Softworks Team
""

Not exactly promising but there is a little hope i guess Bethesda Published the game and dont seem to concerned so that leaves Akella and Disney is Akella still operating ?

Ick. That guy poured syrup on his sugar. You might get a response from Akella but I doubt you will get anything from Disney.

He sure did better than the last guy who thought i was talking about the mmo pirates of the carribean for some reason Xd but its all good at least they did respond. I will have a go with Akella if they are still around but will allso keep poking Disney where i can i have a felling that Disney is probably why the game is not being sold at least digitally somewhere.

might even look Disney up on the stock exchange and see what i can find there :treasure:

Edit: allso haveing looked their website up its kind of sad in a way the only thing they are doing is yet another zombie game :/ their press page hasent been updated in years and on their own history page they only refer to the game as "sea dogs 2" neglecting to note the name change but saying that they won show awards with it a sore point maybe ?

Last edited:
Good luck. You have probably heard about all you will ever hear from Bethesda about it. I have tried many, many times over the past decade to communicate with Disney. I did actually get a response I believe at one point, but if I recall correctly, their response had very little to do with my questions.

Akella will most likely not respond either, as they moved on to other things long ago. Our best hope of ever actually getting the games re-released is through GOG, you can read about it in THIS thread!

Yeah i Voted on that GOG poll a long time ago :)

I have just sent an email to the localization Manager of akkela he should hopefully speak English and yeah i will just cross my fingers like i said though except for doing outsourced work for other devs they dont seem to be on good times.

Disney is one of the most evil corporations on earth. Trust me, I live in Florida and worked for them once. What are you trying to do, get fresh disks? Won't happen from Disney. They recover and destroy product once they decide to take something out of circulation.

Well i figured it couldn't hurt the situation to at least try , when i worked for the ADF i allways found that if you wanted to get sompthing done you had to go down the warrens and dig about a bit to get in touch with the right person who has a yea or nay on the matter some times the answer is still no but at least you tried.

Hi Everybody,

if I understand correctly, this thread is about trying to get the stock PotC game back into distribution. Thus allowing more people to play the game. This would of course allow more people to also play the Build Mod.

From what I read and the replies (not replying) I would say PotC is abandonware. This does not mean it is legal to just download or distribute it, but it is unlikely, if you do that anybody will do something about it.

My copy of PotC is downloaded from the internet for free. I tried to find a copy I could buy, but I could not. I watched a Let's Play and wanted the game, could not find a legal version... So what could I have done?

I have the same problem with AoP, but I cannot even find an illegal copy.

For the Port Royale games it was better, because at least PR2 and PR3 are being sold. I bought both after watching some Let's Plays, because I was able to buy them. (Both are great games, but PotC NH is better)

Long story short, has anyone ever tried to contact a company like Steam or similar and have them contact the owners of PotC and AoP? Maybe a company "promissing" some money would motivate the owners of the rights a bit more. And they could even distribute the NH Build Mod, which might help funding HoO. It is well worth paying for.

This is the wrong place to write this, but it fits to my thoughts right now. I find it both great and unbelievable that you develop HoO for free. I think this is just not right. You guys spent coutless hours and a lot of money to make a game that will be great and then you get no reward at all, maybe somebody will thank you, but mostly you will be bothered by complaints and asked for support.

You have probably discussed this for month on end, but I think, if HoO is free inside the comunity that would be enough. Anybody from the outside could be asked for a few bucks. Just my opinion, but I am always happy to pay, if I get something in return. Sometimes I even pay in advance, if I believe in something.

Captain Dixi

PS If anybody has a legal copy of PotC or AoP, I would gladly by them.

Found some legal copy's on ebay just last week (edit am not saying its easy to find PoTC at all i mean that i saw it just the other week like a rare bird), ultimately at this point i believe its full sail ahead with hearts of oak because that is something they do have control over.

Last edited:
I happened to say it in a private conversation a few days back as well,
but if HoO goes commercial, I lose interest and will leave.
For one thing, commercial is no fun and too much of a headache.
For another, this project would turn into 'just another game' instead of being potentially something truly special.

Hi Everybody,

if I understand correctly, this thread is about trying to get the stock PotC game back into distribution. Thus allowing more people to play the game. This would of course allow more people to also play the Build Mod.

Yes.

From what I read and the replies (not replying) I would say PotC is abandonware. This does not mean it is legal to just download or distribute it, but it is unlikely, if you do that anybody will do something about it.

My copy of PotC is downloaded from the internet for free. I tried to find a copy I could buy, but I could not. I watched a Let's Play and wanted the game, could not find a legal version... So what could I have done?

I have the same problem with AoP, but I cannot even find an illegal copy.

For the Port Royale games it was better, because at least PR2 and PR3 are being sold. I bought both after watching some Let's Plays, because I was able to buy them. (Both are great games, but PotC NH is better)

The problem with downloading things through torrents or abandonware sites is a lot of the time you do not know who you are getting the copies of the game from. Some copies of the games that are available have been modified from the original game files. These make working with our Mods much more troublesome and it is a lot tougher to track problems down. Some copies even include viruses and spyware, or worse. While you can not buy the games in most retail outlets anymore, you can usually find a copy available on Ebay and sometimes even on Amazon. It is still possible to find a retail version of the game.

Age Of Pirate on Ebay

AoP 2 CoAS on Ebay

POTC on Ebay

Long story short, has anyone ever tried to contact a company like Steam or similar and have them contact the owners of PotC and AoP? Maybe a company "promissing" some money would motivate the owners of the rights a bit more. And they could even distribute the NH Build Mod, which might help funding HoO. It is well worth paying for.

We tried contacting GOG, which is where the votes that I reference in my post above is taking place, once we get enough votes for those games, GOG will add them. The problem is getting people to actually sign up and vote! Steam forces DRM, GOG is DRM free!

This is the wrong place to write this, but it fits to my thoughts right now. I find it both great and unbelievable that you develop HoO for free. I think this is just not right. You guys spent coutless hours and a lot of money to make a game that will be great and then you get no reward at all, maybe somebody will thank you, but mostly you will be bothered by complaints and asked for support.

You have probably discussed this for month on end, but I think, if HoO is free inside the comunity that would be enough. Anybody from the outside could be asked for a few bucks. Just my opinion, but I am always happy to pay, if I get something in return. Sometimes I even pay in advance, if I believe in something.

Captain Dixi

PS If anybody has a legal copy of PotC or AoP, I would gladly by them.

To understand why we do what we do here at PA, you need to understand why we started modding games here over a decade ago. We are not here to make money, this is a hobby and it will remain so here at PA. It has never been, and will never be our intention to make money off of Hearts of Oak, or any of our mods. We saw things that were broken with the original games that were released so we fixed them. In some cases the original makers of the games were slow with patches, or outright refused to fix bugs, or were unable to do so because of contract obligations.

That is where we stepped in. We also took over the role of tech support because no one else was willing to help customers(us included) that had bought the games. In fact, the original game makers started pointing their customers to us as their tech support! If your curious about more of the history behind PA, you can have a read through THIS article! I hope that helps clear things up a bit mate.

Back