• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

More randomization. :keith

We currently have three sail options. No sails, battle sails, and full sails. Would it be possible to add a fourth sail option? Storm sails, where just the lower sails are raised, so that the ship looks something like the picture here. So far the big fluyts are the only ones that can come close to looking like that.

One thing I do know about sail states is that all yards marked 'rey_a[x]' are the ones closed when using 'battle sails'.
I've no idea how easy/hard it would be to code in a further sail state, or how we'd change the control scheme to fit one, but I guess it should be possible...
...unless it requires the source code, that is. :mm

Sounds like source code stuff to me, but I have been wrong in the past.
Won't be easy in any case though...

I too feel that we need the bridge to be accesible on Martinique. There should be someone on the bridge you must :ixi in order to get across (as a joke, we could name him little Little John or John Little)

I too feel that we need the bridge to be accesible on Martinique. There should be someone on the bridge you must :ixi in order to get across (as a joke, we could name him little Little John or John Little)

Or you could have an old man (bridgekeeper) that asks you three questions and you have to answer them before you can cross. "What's your quest?" "What's your favorite color?" "What's....." ;)

MK

Even better! And if you get his questions wrong, you have to fight him, but he is invincible and impossible to beat. Each person has there own favorite color (ex. Jack Sparrow will choose red) xD:

I've had another crazy idea recently.
For extreme realism, would it be possible to have damage effects specific to the glass on larger ships' sterns?
In other words, it would be really great to have sound and particle effects for when a stern gets damaged by cannon fire.
Or, thinking about the explosive death of HMS Endeavour, perhaps we could even simulate fatal powder magazine explosions, and have effects to make it look and sound like all the glass smashes at once.

I don't know, maybe it's too ambitious (or too difficult), but it would certainly take the damage effects up a notch. :shock

Avast, mateys! All hands on the comments deck! Me last post wasn't an April fool's joke, you know! :razz

Something like that would be possible, but it would take a coder to make it happen. I see it as being like a broadside of bombs going off. I will post a short movie of this at moddb. :boom

Yes, it would be similar to the current particle and sound effects, but I'm wondering how we could specify such effects to appear only on the stern windows...
You're right, a coder would have to sort it out. I have limited experience with particle effects, from helping with the capsize mod, but this a little more complex, I guess. :wacko:

Videos too? You're on a roll for ModDB content! :woot

It would have to be a bunch of bomb triggers located in the rear windows that only goes off under certain conditions. Could any shots to the rear windows be converted to bombs automatically? :?

I have always felt handcuffed by the very low amount of attachments allowed here. If it was raised to 10gb I'd use it all. There doesn't seem to be a limit at ModDB tho....... :woot

We'd have to define the stern with x,y,z coordinates, which would be dodgy at best (refer to the point where the smoke comes out of the funnels on the steamships).
There ARE powder magazine explosions in the game though; they happen occasionally, but I don't think they're at spectacular as they could be.

Now that would be a pain... but achievable, at least.
How would smashing glass particle effects be simulated? I guess they'd need defining somewhere, too.
And then, how would you tell the game to use them at these coordinates, when struck by cannon fire?

It's sounding complex already. :wacko:

It IS complex. We never even got the smoke emission coordinate code to work entirely correctly.
Note how the poitn of smoke emission seems to move as the ship speeds up. :facepalm

I don't know how possible this would be, but how about you taking command of your ship (like the view of you on land) during sea battles. (IE, no loading screen between boardings, you just do it, cannons and crew hard at work reloading and tending to injured, cannon damage, see ships off on the horizon, etc.) I think it would add a GREAT deal of realism. Is it physically possible, probably not. Is it BA, HECK YES!

Note how the poitn of smoke emission seems to move as the ship speeds up. :facepalm
Ah, but with this kind of damage effect, it would be a simple trigger for the particle effect to occur, so it's done once and over with.
Therefore, there's no need for the point of emission to follow the ship perfectly accurately, I guess. :shrug

I don't know how possible this would be, but how about you taking command of your ship (like the view of you on land) during sea battles. (IE, no loading screen between boardings, you just do it, cannons and crew hard at work reloading and tending to injured, cannon damage, see ships off on the horizon, etc.) I think it would add a GREAT deal of realism.
I actually had that same thought a while ago, but never thought to post it. That would be extremely difficult if it were possible, but you're right, it would look very impressive!
Maybe there's a way to simulate this, on a basic level, though I'm not sure.
However, it would probably be possible with the source code for Storm 2.8, once (well, IF) we port the Build Mod over to it. That's still some time away, so there's a bit of a wait for now... :facepalm

That would be VERY cool and EXTREMELY difficult to accomplish if at all possible. Might require a different engine altogether, which is not going to happen on this modpack.

I had a neat idea that I don't think anyone has touched on. And I don't think it would be all that tough either.

Would there be any way to make the inside of the ship light up at night time? For example, light seen through the cannon ports, any torches or lamps (mainly the big ones on the stern) be lit up, and if nothing else, I would love to see the Captain's cabin lit up, because it always is in the movies. Is that possible. Priority should go to the captain's cabin. I think it would look cool to see the ships lit up at night like they usually would be in real life. ;)

It;s a stretch, but possibly even make the option to "douse the lamps" like Captain Jack did with the Black Peal in "Dead Man's Chest", for stealth. :D

Idk, is any of this even possible? If so, I would love to see it. :)

Just thought I'd toss the idea at you. ;)

Thanks for all your hard work. you guys have done an amazing job. :D I hope the mods never end.

Would there be any way to make the inside of the ship light up at night time?
Unfortunately, that's much easier said than done. We have discussed it, particularly for the stern lanterns, but the coding would be a real challenge to get it to work. :facepalm
Having said that, 'City of Abandoned Ships' does allow ships' lanterns to light up at night. Eventually we'd like to port the Build Mod over to that game's engine, so that would certainly make this possible.
That's still a long wait, though; we need to finish- I mean completely finish- Build 14 first.
However, we haven't really experimented with lighting on ships... at all, so we could have a go sometime.

It;s a stretch, but possibly even make the option to "douse the lamps" like Captain Jack did with the Black Peal in "Dead Man's Chest", for stealth. :D
That would be pretty cool. I can imagine many uses for that in quests, like sneaking into a port unnoticed, for example...
Still, we'd need to overcome the first obstacle of lighting first. :modding

Thanks for all your hard work. you guys have done an amazing job. :D I hope the mods never end.
You're welcome. :onya It certainly is pretty amazing what we've managed to achieve!
It's a pleasure to work on this mod, and I can't see any signs of it ending any time soon...

Back