• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

Another idea for the ship is when it is night there are lanterns on the back and or front of the ship like sea dogs teho

Going back to the idea of towns changing hands: I had a thought there. There was an old Mac space game called Escape Velocity back in the 90's (I think some folks might still actually be playing it) that I made a large overhaul mod for. I wanted this effect but there was no mechanic in the game to make the factions attack and capture systems though they COULD be automatically changed with a trigger. Since the base game does this with the starting island we might use a similar cheat to make it look as though this was happening "off camera" as it were.

You have some random, innocuous event with player input--could be anything, even just talking to a random person--that triggers a change on another island, well away from wherever the island the trigger event is caused. The target island is now under new management and you can then have people talk about it. "Did you hear! X was just conquered by Y!"

Not ideal but, used sparingly, it could give a dynamic feel to the environment. You could then have missions appear (if you serve the power that lost the colony) to recapture it for them.

There is a function that can be called to change town ownership. At the moment that never happens at random though.
It is certainly something that would make sense to add though.
And there is already a "random town events" system too. So this is definitely possible.

What logic apply though so this doesn't become excessively annoying?
And who is going to make it a reality?
I can point you in the right direction if you want. :yes

How rare can you make an event? Are they set in stone from game start or can they be randomly included in a controlled way. For example, using the technique I mention above. Would you have to have this trigger person, with the triggering dialogue, walking around through the whole game or could it be something that MIGHT happen in a controlled way?

I think you can set it up pretty much any way you want.
Simplest for starters would be to work it in with the Random Nation Relation Changes; those have a chance of about 1% each day.

Characters can be generated where you want and their dialog can set an attribute that triggers the event.
Would require a bit more coding, but still totally possible.

This would need to be limited to Free Play. It's liable to foul up any storyline which requires specific towns to be owned by their original nations. ("Tales of a Sea Hawk", for example, is completely stuffed if either Port Royale or Bridgetown change hands. This is also why capture of several critical colonies is disabled until the storyline ends.)

So tying it to Random Nation Relation Changes makes sense, as that also should only really happen in Free Play for similar reason.

Missions from governors to capture a town for your served nation need not be limited to the town having already been captured. If you're high enough rank, or if the governor notices that you have a powerful enough ship, then you could get a town capture mission anyway. ("Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales" did this. If you were high enough rank then you could be ordered to capture an enemy colony. Perhaps the code to generate such missions could be adapted from there.)

It's liable to foul up any storyline which requires specific towns to be owned by their original nations. ("Tales of a Sea Hawk", for example, is completely stuffed if either Port Royale or Bridgetown change hands. This is also why capture of several critical colonies is disabled until the storyline ends.)
Ideally it should just look at that "capturable" state instead. Then once a colony is "unlocked" at the end of the Standard Storyline, then it could be enabled.

So tying it to Random Nation Relation Changes makes sense, as that also should only really happen in Free Play for similar reason.
Random thought that would NOT be simple: What if we could "lock" specific nation relations so they don't change?
Would that allow Random Nation Relation Changes to be enabled in all storylines too?

Missions from governors to capture a town for your served nation need not be limited to the town having already been captured. If you're high enough rank, or if the governor notices that you have a powerful enough ship, then you could get a town capture mission anyway.
Definitely! :onya

Ideally it should just look at that "capturable" state instead. Then once a colony is "unlocked" at the end of the Standard Storyline, then it could be enabled.
Or enable changing relations in the same part of the code that unlocks the colonies, so that once the story is done, you get the whole dynamic free-play set-up, the same way you do at the end of "Hornblower".

Random thought that would NOT be simple: What if we could "lock" specific nation relations so they don't change?
Would that allow Random Nation Relation Changes to be enabled in all storylines too?
Not with the current relations system. You could lock France and Britain to permanently be at war in "Tales of a Sea Hawk", but you'd probably need to lock several more as well, otherwise attacking a French ship could put you at odds with, say, Portugal if Portugal randomly allies with France. And some storylines such as "Assassin" and "Hornblower" re-arrange international relations to suit their plot, so they'd need all nations to be unable to change randomly. If I remember correctly, "Bartolomeu" also has its own ideas about international relations. Basically, by the time you've locked down everything that needs to be locked to make sure the plot can't break as a result of random changes, you may as well just leave them locked for storylines and perhaps add a bit when the story is complete so that random relations are enabled. Except that I believe "Assassin" and "Bartolomeu" are due for extensions, so where the stories end now may not be where they end by this time next year...

Or enable changing relations in the same part of the code that unlocks the colonies, so that once the story is done, you get the whole dynamic free-play set-up, the same way you do at the end of "Hornblower".
That would make sense. :yes

Not with the current relations system. You could lock France and Britain to permanently be at war in "Tales of a Sea Hawk", but you'd probably need to lock several more as well, otherwise attacking a French ship could put you at odds with, say, Portugal if Portugal randomly allies with France. And some storylines such as "Assassin" and "Hornblower" re-arrange international relations to suit their plot, so they'd need all nations to be unable to change randomly. If I remember correctly, "Bartolomeu" also has its own ideas about international relations. Basically, by the time you've locked down everything that needs to be locked to make sure the plot can't break as a result of random changes, you may as well just leave them locked for storylines and perhaps add a bit when the story is complete so that random relations are enabled. Except that I believe "Assassin" and "Bartolomeu" are due for extensions, so where the stories end now may not be where they end by this time next year...
All true; once all exceptions are in place, there may not be much room left for any random changes.
So does that idea of mine is very much most likely not worth the effort.

An idea for a new ship. A "chambequín" or xebec-frigate. The hull of a xebec with full square rig, So probably sorta kinda easy to make with parts of the existing ships... I guess?
Naval_Figura11.jpg

Other, massive, picture
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Chebec_Mistic-IMG_8860.jpg

The Cacafuego, from the Aubrey & Maturin novels, was one of these, inspired by the real-life 32-gun xebec-frigate Gamo, captured by Cochrane's HMS Speedy

Wow!

So it's a Xebec hull with different rigging?
That might be easy to make without any modelling programs.
All you need is the TOOL.

Swap out the mast files and modify the locators so the rigging matches with the different hull.

Hi I am new here and don't know if the idea has already been done but one of the ships that could be added is the Jolly Roger, here is a link to a model of it that is very well done. I would love to see this in the game, once I get it that is, so far I haven't seen any thing of it.
Jolly Roger pirate model ship

Sort of, they share resemblance but it not the exact same, personally I like the model one better, it looks like a better ship to sail. Also I don't know what that part is of the mouth of the skull in the back, not sure if its a chase gun opening or something else. it would also seem that the movie hook version is the closest to the one I posted, the others from the original movie's and cartoons have a different stern.

Well the description says "This Jolly Roger pirate ship model was constructed based on numeral movie's photos supplied by a gentleman who was a serious collector of pirate ships. " but I don't know what movie, I would think the "hook" movie but they don't look the same. these are the only photos I could find, they share similarities, I am not sure anywhere else it would be from, not sure but if your worried about copyright issues you already make potc stuff should that also be allowed since you have disney stuff, the movie is of the disney property. here are the photos, there are only two of them, lets just say that the roger is a very elusive ship. Hook Jolly Roger Ship Miniature original movie model
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12000000/Hook-hook-12007985-853-480.jpg

No worries here; just curiosity. Plus I thought she looked familiar.

I sincerely doubt anyone will step in to make that model.
But I do admit I like the Hook movie, so wouldn't mind having her in the game as an Easter Egg.

If you want a model into PotC, then sooner or later you'll need to use Maya.
You can use different programs for the modelling itself, but Maya is the only one with the correct plugins to convert a model into the game.
@Armada knows far more about that than I do though.

Back