• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

I mean the Playabel Charakters.
Techncially, EVERY character model in the game is playable.

PotC isn't like CoAS where the playable starting characters are also random hireable officers.
It is also not easy to change that, because, unlike in CoAS, they're completely independent systems.

Good thing too! We wouldn't want Horatio Hornblower to suddenly walk around random taverns in the Early Explorers period. ;)
If such a feature is to be added, it would become VERY complicated VERY quickly.
Not worth the effort.

It is extremely easy to work around it though, since you can assign whatever character model and name you want to any of your officers.
So you buy the outfit of the "starting character" you want, assign that model to a random officer and rename that officer to what you want.

If you cannot find the outfit you are looking for, then Console is your friend. See here point #4:
Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!
With this, you can create pretty much any companion officer you could possibly want.

You want Davy Jones commanding the Flying Dutchman as part of your fleet? Or Barbossa with the Black Pearl?
There is example code to do that already in PROGRAM\console.c! If you want something that isn't already in there, that is easy enough to tweak.

So if I understand correctly what you want, this is something you can do right now.
No new feature needed to allow that at all. :woot

I Think it would be cool (But is no must, it is only a Idea Request from me.)
for Exampel:

Monkey D. Ruff meet on the Sea Davy Jones !

:( I need someone for me Katana Sword Projekt...

Monkey D. Ruff meet on the Sea Davy Jones !
What you can do right now: Elizabeth Shaw’s Disappearance | PiratesAhoy!

Plus there is this abandoned mod: WIP - Unique Ship/Captain Encounters | PiratesAhoy!

I need someone for me Katana Sword Projekt...
So you keep saying. The different modders here are generally very busy with their own projects though.
Or they might not currently be around to do it.

The standard answer is: You want it done, so the best way to make it happen is by doing it.
If you don't know how, we can help you figure it out. But you should really be prepared to do the doable bits yourself.
It is certainly possible; I know exactly how to do it and it isn't very hard. But I have absolutely NO time whatsoever to do any of it.

Ok! Good, see all done!

Ok for the Sword. Is anything Importen that i need to no.
Is anywhere a Tutorial for adding new Weopons, i only found for Items.

Wow!

So it's a Xebec hull with different rigging?
That might be easy to make without any modelling programs.
All you need is the TOOL.

Swap out the mast files and modify the locators so the rigging matches with the different hull.
I was thinking about taking a break from translating to maybe give this a try. Is there a tutorial somewhere for this specific thing?

Also, I've realized looking at ships.init that all Xebecs spawn only as Pirates. Maybe one or two could be added to Spain aswell, as it was the country that made more use of them historically (France had some but not nearly as many). If I go through with this project, I may be able to create a red-and-black Spanish military texture* for the Xebec hull that could be used for both the Xebec-frigate and a regular Xebec.

*Well, historically the red and black was not by any stretch a standarized paint in the Spanish navy; yellow and black was the most common. That I know, only the Santisima Trinidad had red and black and that was precisely to make her stand out (as if a 140-gun ship didn't stand out enough as it was :p), but I understand it's better for the game's porpuse to have a standarized pattern.

Last edited:
Also, I've realized looking at ships.init that all Xebecs spawn only as Pirates. Maybe one or two could be added to Spain aswell, as it was the country that made more use of them historically (France had some but not nearly as many). If I go through with this project, I may be able to create a red-and-black Spanish military texture* for the Xebec hull that could be used for both the Xebec-frigate and a regular Xebec.
I don't mind them being unlocked for other nations. @Grey Roger, @Armada and/or @Hylie Pistof might have some input on that though.

*Well, historically the red and black was not by any stretch a standarized paint in the Spanish navy; yellow and black was the most common. That I know, only the Santisima Trinidad had red and black and that was precisely to make her stand out (as if a 140-gun ship didn't stand out enough as it was :p), but I understand it's better for the game's porpuse to have a standarized pattern.
The national colour schemes are inspired somewhat on real history, but their primary purpose is gameplay rather than historical accuracy.

Historically, xebecs operated in the Mediterranean. So anything you do with them in a game centred on the Caribbean is probably not realistic anyway.

The Wikipedia article on xebecs doesn't just confirm that France and Spain used xebecs, it lists some of the more notable xebecs of both nations. So by all means, create both French and Spanish versions, and make the French version rarer than the Spanish one.

You won't find any photos of xebecs, or any other ships, dating back to the 17th, 18th or 19th centuries, for obvious reasons. xD So we're depending on paintings. This one, of El Gamo, depicts her in a dark red/black scheme:
hms-speedy-and-el-gamo.jpg

That's justification enough, at least for me, for giving the xebec-frigate a similar scheme. It was for similar reason that I used a lighter red as the standard hull colour for French ships in later periods - I'd trawled through the Internet looking for pictures of French ships, and several showed an orange-red colour for the hull stripes.

Summary: go for it! :onya

Some Preview Question for maybe next step:

@Grey Roger
Please Correct me if I am wrong!

If I copy one Pirate Charakter i should doe this Work:
Copy all files of
Rename the GM and Haeds GM File and the Texture Files
Change the Texture Name in the GM File

I will only copy the charakter an rename it.

CU

@pirateking: Indeed you need to copy all related model and texture files, as well as copying the related code and modifying the IDs to match.
In addition to that, you also need to HEX-edit the GM files to point to the renamed texture files.

A new character model will need:
  • An entry in "PROGRAM\Models\initModels.c";
  • New model in "RESOURCE\Models\Characters";
  • New head model in "RESOURCE\Models\Heads";
  • New animation in "RESOURCE\animation\Heads";
  • New texture file in "RESOURCE\Textures\Characters";
  • New interface pictures in "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\PORTRAITS\256", "128" and "64"
  • Check "RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACES\pictures.ini. Check that there is an entry for your portrait. Many have been added already in preparation for those filenames to be used, but if you go beyond number 567 - that is, if the portait is "face_568.tga.tx" or higher - you'll need to add a new entry.
The animation file in "RESOURCE\animation\Heads" does not need to be edited, it just needs to exist. Copy it from whichever character you are using as a start point for the new one, then rename it. For example, Monkey D. Luffy is a variant on "fisherman1", so I simply copied "h_fisherman1.ani", renamed it to "H_Monkey_D_Luffy.ani", and did not need to do anything else to the file itself.

Portrait files are technically optional, but preferred of course.
I recommend not adding new ones to pictures.ini if that can be avoided.
There are probably still plenty of unused numbers available.

Try going through the "PORTRAITS" folders some time with "TX Convertor". There is nothing free below "face_300" now - "Jordano", "towngirl1_2" and "Monkey_D_Luffy" took up the last slots in that block. But yes, there are still some slots beyond that.

Hello!

Here some suggestion!

I think you have in Office Role one Postion forgotten:
The ship's cook = Chef

Maybe if it is Possible to add it in the New Build!

I think you have in Office Role one Postion forgotten:
The ship's cook = Chef
Is it possible to add more officer types?
Yes, it is. The original game didn't have any, after all. ;)

Is it easy?
No, it's not. Changes would need to be made in many, MANY files.
The real big issue though is that interface pictures need to be added AND the interface code needs to be updated.
Especially that last one is a royal pain and you really want to avoid that if there's no actual need.

Is it important to have them?
No, it's not. We've got dozens upon dozens of ideas that are far, far more important.

Does it make sense to add a Cook?
Different officer types contribute different skills and the officers we've got already cover the skills we've got.
So what skill would a cook contribute? Not one that currently exists, meaning that we're talking not just to add a new officer type but adding a whole new skill.
That is going to be even more of a pain and definitely risks breaking the whole game if not done correctly.

Did we forget the Cook?
If you spend enough time, you can probably think of dozens of officer types that aren't already in the game and could therefore be considered "forgotten".
But in this case, we definitely didn't "forget". In fact, we went as far as adding an Ability called "Cooking" which covers this already.

Is anyone willing to do the work?
No, there isn't. Unless you're willing to do it yourself.
Which I have to recommend against, because you need to start easy and this is not.

At this point, unless you're willing and capable to do at least 95% of the work yourself, suggesting random ideas is pretty much completely pointless.
That doesn't just apply to you, but to everyone else too. We have no manpower to do implement even our own ideas, let alone any additional ones.
And I can guarantee you that the really important ideas are already somewhere on this forum. And have been for years.
Without being done, due to lack of people and a lack of time.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is true.

Back