• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

Like Armada said, night lights are currently not supported. There is only one ship that I know of that even comes close to having a lit up cabin, and it is the xebecAS. :luv

First one would need to HAVE a cabin and most ships do not.

Hmm. Random thought. If a ship had a cabin, could the reverse lighting bug be introduced to it to make it light up at night? :nerbz The reverse lighting bug really doesn't show much during the day, but is quite noticeable at night. Then the Black Pearl might work.

I once started on trying attached a "light" particle to a stern lantern, but that wouldn't actually EMIT light and is more trouble than it's worth as well. :facepalm

Hahaha Miklkit caught me. I mostly just wanna see the cabin of the Pearl lit up. lol :p

I have another idea. :p

Would it be possible to get some more impressive sounds for the cannons? The little "pop" sound that the cannons currently have isn't all that impressive or exciting. Would it be possible to import or record a cannon blast and use it for the sounds of the cannons in the game?

As always I'd be happy to help. I do a lot of sound mixing and music editing.

I'd love to hear some really loud booming cannon blasts for the ships in the game like in real life.

Just another idea I thought I'd toss out there. :)

As always thank you for your attention.

Of course it's possible. However, what's the biggest ship you've sailed...?
The sound that cannons make depends on the calibre, and that gets bigger with the ship size.
Try firing a Lugger's guns, and compare the result to something like the Victory... :shock
Unless, even the bigger guns are too quiet for you? I'm sure someone can point you to the sound files if you want to remix them a little.

Hmm... what would be REALLY impressive is if the guns recoiled backwards when firing... but I'm not even gonna GO there... :wacko:

The biggest ship I've sailed and used the cannons on so far, is the Pearl.

Could someone please show to the sound so I can mess with it a bit? :p

I didn't know the sound varied on the cannon size. Didn't know it was THAT realistic. Cool. :)

I think I still wanna amp up the sound though hahah ;) When I fire a cannon, I want my room to rattle. :p

I don't know where the sound files are. The cannon sounds do get bigger with the caliber. The 4 pounders are only good for scaring birds, while the 32 pounders have a nice rumble to them. They are too quiet? You could try playing with the sound volume levels in your "options" folder. I wear headphones and they are plenty loud. Hehe. I recently installed PotC in another computer that uses speakers and got yelled at by people in the other room who complained that they couldn't hear their tv show when I got into a battle. :piratesahoy!

Which is more powerful? Neither one. The long guns have more range and take longer to load, while the carronades load faster but have much shorter range. Carronades are a good way to give the smaller ships more hitting power. :boom

Idea: It would be good if we could launch the Lifeboat from the sailing menu.

Why: I usually use small, fast ships for pirating, most of 'em has one or two masts. If I get crippled (and it happens more often than I like :eek:ops2 ),
then I have to sit there waiting for get sunk, or the enemy to accidentally come into boarding distance. This way I could abandon the ship, jump into the tartane and board the enemy / escape.

Another idea: A shipyard upgrade would be cool which would make the Lifeboat an armed tartane.

So basically this would be giving the order to 'Abandon ship'? That could have potential. :yes
I'm thinking it might work best when you're close to an island, so you can try to escape to dry land, or even towards a fort for cover fire.
If you tried it out in open water, chances are you would be captured before you could escape.

This would be great as another 'escape' option for the player, alongside my idea of 'surrendering' with the intent of ambushing the enemy. :ixi

On a related note, I wonder if we could actually replace the tartane lifeboat with a real lifeboat, like the one you see moored at port.
I reckon I know a way to make the boat seaworthy for the player's use, so it might be worth considering.
And about your upgrade idea, maybe the boat could be replaced by the gunboat with the upgrade?

well, i think the tartane was used as lifeboat for the sake of giving it a use. otherwise the player never actually gets to use the thing and there's no real point in having it. i do appreciate the idea of being able to abandon ship though. i'd prefer using the regular lifeboat mechanic myself, with the possibility of upgrading. abandoning ship and then ending up in the battle might be a little difficult i'd imagine, though it might be possible to use the ship transfer screen instead. that way you could also decide how much cargo you'd take with you onto the lifeboat. how to spawn it in battle without having to end the battle through reloading the area though? such updates are currently not possible for as far as i know.

I tried once using the dinghy as lifeboat instead but didn't manage at the time.

If I understand correctly, this mod would basically be an "instant suicide at sea" option.
Should be quite possible, but how should it be triggered? An instant death keyboard button sounds like asking for trouble. :facepalm

Actually allowing you to lower a boat, then sail around with that and return to your original ship gets a LOT more complicated...

well, i think the tartane was used as lifeboat for the sake of giving it a use. otherwise the player never actually gets to use the thing and there's no real point in having it.
As far as I know, tartanes were only meant to be fishing boats used in the Mediterranean, so they are pretty useless to the player.
However, it just doesn't seem right to use them for the sake of using them, I reckon, seeing as they look nothing like the boats on most of the ships. :shrug

abandoning ship and then ending up in the battle might be a little difficult i'd imagine, though it might be possible to use the ship transfer screen instead. that way you could also decide how much cargo you'd take with you onto the lifeboat. how to spawn it in battle without having to end the battle through reloading the area though? such updates are currently not possible for as far as i know.
Using the ship transfer screen sounds good to me. That way at least you can save what matters, whether it be cargo or crew.
As for the updates, I think such things happen after boardings, don't they? So surely it should be possible to do the same here. :?

I tried once using the dinghy as lifeboat instead but didn't manage at the time.
What exactly was the problem?

Should be quite possible, but how should it be triggered? An instant death keyboard button sounds like asking for trouble. :facepalm
I'd say it should be triggered like abilities are, using the Battle interface. That way you can't accidentally sink yourself by pressing the wrong key...
It might even be an ability itself, unless that's too complicated to do.

the lifeboat would be a previously nonexistant ship for that battle. and in order to load a new ship, the game needs to reload the ocean, and it can't do that without removing the battle unless there is some way of preserving it, which there currently isn't. the way boarding works now is that both ships used in the ship transfer screen need to already exist.

Ah, yes I see your point now. So spawning it might be a problem. :facepalm
In that case, we might not be able to use the ship transfer screen, but instead simply an 'instant death' option like Pieter suggested.
That would just sink your ship and reload you with the lifeboat as usual.

yes. it would at least be moderately useful, and the effects to the suicide ability would be the same as when you'd wait for the pirates to board and plunder your ship, as could be realistically expected. which they don't in this game, but that's beside the point.

What exactly was the problem?
I don't quite remember. Try changing it in PROGRAM\seadogs.c:
Code:
//ccc survival ->
void GameOverE()
{
ref mc = GetMainCharacter();
if(rand(100) + (sti(mc.skill.Sneak)*3) > DEATHRATE)	// BF mar05
{	//ccc new survival section
// KK
if (HasSubStr(mc.ship.type, "Tartane") == true || mc.ship.type == "Gunboat") {
GameOverOrg("sea");
DeleteSeaEnvironment();
return;
}
// <-- KK
Event("DoInfoShower","sl","MainMenuLaunch",true);	//TIH - black out the screen to hide uglyjunk
LAi_SetCurHPMax(mc);
mc.ship.type = "Tartane1";
Ship_CreateForCharacter(mc, mc.Ship.Type, "Lifeboat");	// ccc apr03 // KK
I'd say it should be triggered like abilities are, using the Battle interface. That way you can't accidentally sink yourself by pressing the wrong key...
It might even be an ability itself, unless that's too complicated to do.
That'd be ideal, but I don't know how to code that.

The only reason for the suicide button is if you want to continue play,
but your ship is beat up, you can't do anything anymore and are waiting to be sunk/boarded.

I admit, the most use of this function would be if the lifeboat would spawn in the battle. I thought about two things, but I dunno if they could work (probably not):

first: how about a "phantom lifeboat" spawning every time when loading happens? An invisible tartane with white flag, no crew, and using the suicide ability would open up the ship transfer screen with it. I reckon even if it would be possible, the lifeboat could be miles away depending on how far did we sail. But when entering a ship battle, it would be about right. Also there's the problem how to make the invisible boat visible.

second: I just found out the mine button (and succesfully sank one of my own ships with it :facepalm ). Can this function be used to spawn a tartane or similar?

i considered the first idea, but it seemed a bit too error-prone to me. odds are something will have squished it before you can make use of it.

the second idea, however, seems intriguing. i'm not sure if the mines and ships count as the same kind of object though. mines belong to the same category as cargo, crew and dismated vessels. they may have a certain degree of collision, but no AI. you can spawn objects, but no ships. unless the gap between the two could somehow be bridged.

As one of the main issues with this is that you would effectively be put to see in the equivelant of a bathtub, in the midst of battle etc; what about making it function like a real escape option, and just spawn the player in their bathtub near the nearest land to the point of abandoning the ship? Not too far out either as then they run the higher risk of pirates ships noticing them etc. This way you don't have to deal with threat levels immediately etc and transfering that from the ship to your lifeboat etc.

Back