• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Implementing Dutch Officers

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
@Jason Maffettone made some texture for Dutch officer models since those were not yet in the game.
Would anyone be willing to look into actually working them into the game?
This requires adding them to initModels.c and making some portrait texture files.
Not actually very difficult, but it would save me some time if I didn't have to do it....

implementing in initModels.c ,yes, portrait textures better someone else, otherwise it will just an ingame screenshot or a dutch flag^^

Last edited:
What do other navy officers have? Do they get the generic flag or a specific screenshot?
Can't remember now...

Anyway, portraits are usually made from screenshots.
There are some Borders to be applied which I can upload.
How are you with image editing software? Can you overlay an image?
If not, I could take care of that part of you make the shots themselves.

Well some have only a flag, some have screenshots. But do I understand that right - this are models for Nathaniel as dutch officer (For dutch promotions)? Or just a npc dutch officer?
If it's just an npc-model, just a flag would be enough I think.

Well I hope it isnt too difficult with those borders, I should be able to do that.

@Pillat as far as I see a lot of face portraits are just ingame screenshots also :p

I just checked and the other navy officers use screenshots for their portraits too. So that would do nicely here. :woot

Alright, so my task is to initialize the new models in initmodels.c , copy the model files in the right resource folder and make a screenshot of those models?

How can I let one of those models spawn or appear in my inventory?

check the code for the tailor which gives you the model. copy that to console.c and change it to the right model then execute the console (F12) to get the model(s)

How do we stand on this? I'd like to have this done as soon as possible.
I can assist if necessary.

didnt had much time for that, but will give it a look today and tomorrow.

You could indeed help me: I dont know what to do with most of those code lines, so if you can make an example or description of it, that would be nice :)

Code:
    model.description =  "A typical dutch officer.";
    model.id       =  "bocman8"; <- the model name in the ressources?
    model.FaceId    = 1; <- I guess the portrait picture? How do I know which number to choose?
    model.nation      =  HOLLAND; <- well thats clear
    model.price       =  250; <- I also get that^^
    model.assigned    =  true; <- ? probably if it is 'turned on' in the game?
    AssignModelType(isstart, model, "Sailors", 1.0); 
    AssignModelType(isstart, model, OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN, 1.0);
    AssignModelType(isstart, model, OFFIC_TYPE_QMASTER, 1.0); <- code for what this model is used?
    AddCharacterModel(model);

do I have to do anything else in the initmodels.c?

You pretty much have that all right.
For the portrait numbers, check resource\textures\interfaces\portraits and find some numbers that aren't used yet.
There are a whole bunch of number gaps you can use.

Assigned is always true.

The extra lines at the bottom can be copied from other nation navy officers.

The main things I would need are some textual descriptions and especially the screenshots to use for their portraits.

Code:
    model.description =  "A typical dutch admiral.";
    model.id       =  "holadm1_18";
    model.FaceId    = 1;
    model.nation      =  HOLLAND;
    model.price       =  10250;
    model.assigned    =  true;
    AssignModelTypeNation(isstart, model, "navy", 1.0, HOLLAND);
    AddCharacterModel(model);

Does this look ok? (I ignored the FaceID for now)

Fine by me. Indeed the FaceID's can be sorted once the portrait files are done.
If you could take care of making the screenshots, I could do that part as well if you like. :doff

If I understand it right, it's just making a screenshot and add the borders as a layer over it and then save it as .tga and convert it to .tgx? Should be no problem, except that I dont have a tgx-converter anymore^^

Can I comment out those FaceID's for playing?

Uhm, when I want to give me the model by executing the console, I get invisible and can't move anymore.

Error.log shows this:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: models\models.c; line: 133
Using reference variable without initializing
null ap
no rAP data

EDIT:
And system.log shows this:

resource\models\characters\error.gm: can't open geometry file
Character model 'characters\error' not loaded
Can't load texture resource\textures\.tx

Is the code in initModels.c correct? If you use a savegame, did you press F11 to reinitialize?

Back