• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Impressed - Hoping to Contribute

PhoenicianSon

Landlubber
Hello everyone, I had just recently come upon the planned release of Hearts of Oak. I would like to begin my post by first acknowledging your dedication and devotion to the pirate genre gaming fans with the development of your game. I have been playing Pirate games since the inception of the genre leading back to 1986 with Microprose, Sid Meier's Pirates, which also happened to introduce the open world "sandbox" genre as well.

This genre, and particularly the video games that have been released over the last several decades, played a huge role in my decision to graduate college with a history degree. I concentrated those studies in Caribbean history, and graduated with Honors with a double Bachelors's Degree in History and English Writing. Unfortunately, the scope of study in Caribbean history may have been during the age of sail, but lacked any concentration on Piracy and Privateering. I must say that this iteration of that genre you have been working on for some time now has the makings of an unprecedented pirate game, which makes my mouth water in excitement with the thought of biting into the gameplay upon release. I cannot wait until that day arrives when this game is available for download, and I truly hope that I might gain an opportunity to partake in the beta builds as a tester.

I would love nothing more than to assist in this project. However, I have absolutely no skills in development, coding or graphic rendering. Notwithstanding, I may perhaps possess other skills that might benefit your progress currently, and even more so, towards completion. I am a licensed attorney experienced in commercial litigation, transaction, contracts, and I also have extensive experience in e-commerce and IP law. I happen to also be a published author, which I had noticed one of your earlier applicants cited himself as an author as well. Finally, I have a plethora of companies stretching from the north east coast down to Florida and in the mid-west employing in various agency relationships well over 1000 people. I also have a considerable amount of contacts. I apologize if any of you interpret these statements as gloating as that is not my intention, but rather to share an informal resume in hopes that my training might be an asset for any ancillary requisites of your project.

I know that you might not be at a stage of development where you might benefit from my skills, but I know business, I know the law, I am a capable writer, and I maintain a good book of contacts. If any of these attributes peak you interest for my participation. It would truly be an honor to contribute and participate in your development of a passion of mine that has always remained lit, pirate video games. As a matter of fact, I am still playing City of Abandoned Ships with your major Mod installation that has overhauled the game.

I have played every pirate game that has ever been released since Sid Meier' original iteration of Pirates!. This project that you have undertaken is everything that I ever wanted, wished for, and many times had hoped for but left disappointed in those earlier genre releases leading up to the development of Hearts of Oak. I am extraordinarily busy with work, and thus would mislead you if I represented that I had a considerable amount of time to dedicate to assisting everyone with this venture. Nevertheless, I have a NEVER not delivered when others have relied on my performance, and I complete my work as expected.

I apologize for the long winded introduction, but between my passion for pirate games, my exuberance over your project, and the fact that I am an attorney... Verbosity has superseded my ability to remain succinct. Thank you for your time and consideration, I promise to be short moving forward.

I think we could use a legal advisor, although at this point our requests for advice would be very limited. I'm not in charge of writing, so I don't know how the selection process happens there.
@Armada

Welcome to the forum, mate! As long as you want to contribute, you would be most welcome to do so.
Even just posting your opinions and getting word out about our game would help a great deal. :yes

Hi PhoenicianSon, welcome aboard. :ahoy

I'm not sure if the role of 'legal advisor' would fit any of our 'official' development groups, but we could certainly use your advice if the need arises.
Additionally, you'd be welcome to contribute your own thoughts and ideas to our brainstorming discussions.
If writing is what you'd like to do, @Luke McReady is the one to talk to.

It would be my pleasure to offer any legal advice to your project, as it becomes necessary. Rather than posting something like that in the forum, I would suggest that you email that advice directly to, phoenicianson@gmail.com, which is my personal email. If you post any legal question on the forum, you will waive attorney/client privilege. Also, if you require the services of a writer, I may be able to assist in that regard as well pending availability, which I would be able to confirm at the time of request.

I will send a PM to Luke McReady regarding the writing.

Back