• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Improve Flying Dutchman Battle

Those Navarone Cannons should be installed in the FD by default?^^ And those Cannons you have are balanced.. I made annother unbalanced tweak for myself :D You don't want to see that :D

Those Navarone Cannons should be installed in the FD by default?^^
Nononononono.....
That would be a bit overkill for those players who have to face off against her. :shock

They're hidden at Vanderdecken's for player use only.

I reckon the encounter is difficult enough. She's a tough ship even like this with a lot of HP and reasonably heavy guns too.
So you can hardly turn and fight. Unless you're @Grey Roger, of course! :razz

be glad the seaAI isn't that good that the dutchman knows about emerging and submerging and summoning the kraken.
Altough speaking of that I think it would be fun the make the dutchman use the submerge function if it's about to lose :p so it can get away.

LOL! :rofl

That would deprive people like Grey Roger from their satisfaction, though.
But how about having the Dutchman generated as submerged and emerging from the depths next to the player?
At least that would look cool. :cheeky

I agree that would be cool, and not that hard right ... emerging the dutchman is just a function which has to be called so you can just have a quest delay of a few seconds after the generation to have it emerge.
Only thing I can think of is that it might not register as a fight before that, but I believe I wrote the dutchman submerge things in a way the advantages only work if the main player has it submerged.

Should indeed not be too hard. It's just one more thing for our ever-growing to-do list. :facepalm

be glad the seaAI isn't that good that the dutchman knows about emerging and submerging and summoning the kraken.
Altough speaking of that I think it would be fun the make the dutchman use the submerge function if it's about to lose :p so it can get away.
It did submerge. It just won't be surfacing again. :p

But how about having the Dutchman generated as submerged and emerging from the depths next to the player?
At least that would look cool. :cheeky
Yes, especially since if I know I'm going up against supernatural silliness, I'll have to get some of my own. Dutchman emerges, Sovereign fires a broadside of Navarone cannons, Dutchman submerges, permanently. xD As for the kraken, "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" indicates that giant squid don't like electricity very much. I think I've just found a use for that fancy maquahuitl. :rofl

Yes, especially since if I know I'm going up against supernatural silliness, I'll have to get some of my own. Dutchman emerges, Sovereign fires a broadside of Navarone cannons, Dutchman submerges, permanently. xD As for the kraken, "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" indicates that giant squid don't like electricity very much. I think I've just found a use for that fancy maquahuitl. :rofl

So you like a challenge right :p?
Got a savegame prior to the dutchman attack so I know where in the code it is?
Maybe I can make it a bit more challenging for you ;).

AHA! Thats why you defeat the FD that easy :p OMG.. well the balanced Navarone Carronade has about 9-10 Dmg .. my unbalanced version has.. like 45? :D Imagine that on the Sovereign :D You'd blow the FD away with 1 or 2 salvos :D

I'd like to see Grey Roger battling against the FD equipped with the Navarone Carronades :D :p

I did not have Navarone cannon, or any other supernatural silliness, when I defeated the Flying Dutchman. The problem is similar to one I've seen in a completely different game, one involving miniature starships, dice, and a live opponent in the same room. Ironically, the last time we played, I had a super-ship against his fleet of four more normal ships. And the problem, which also afflicts the Flying Dutchman, is that it doesn't matter if you have a massive amount of HP's. If the other ship(s) hit the super-ship enough, they knock out guns and damage its engines - or, in the Dutchman's case, sails and masts. The super-ship becomes little more than a semi-mobile target, and the only question remaining is which will run out first, the Dutchman's HP's or the Sovereign's ammo.

It might be an idea to shift this part of the discussion over to the "Feature Request" area because I'm about to make one. ;) This thread can then return to what it was originally about, which is everyone's favourite play style.

So, the feature request:
Make the Flying Dutchman invincible and give it the Kraken. But first, knock up a quest in which you need to find the chest containing Davy Jones' heart (and possibly also the key to unlock it). If you have this (or these) when you meet the Flying Dutchman, it is no longer invulnerable and the Kraken is no longer available. Basically, if you're going to make the Flying Dutchman behave more like the one in the film, make it vulnerable the same way as the one in the film too.

So when are you encountering the dutchman again?

Don't know. I've just started a new game with the "Nelson's First Command" storyline. That being free play with all the side quests (at least it should have, that's what I want to test), I can start the "Elizabeth Shaw" quest any time. It may be a while before I've got a man of war similar to the Sovereign of the Seas, though. That ship came from the end of the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" main quest, which won't be happening this time, so either the French or Spanish will have to, er, "donate" one... :napoleon

I mean in which quest does it happen?

Edit: nevermind found it already, will see what I can do later ;).

If someone has a savegame close to the appearance of the dutchman that would be nice.

At the moment there are two appearances of the Dutchman:
- Elizabeth Shaw sidequest that is available in most storylines
- Jack Sparrow storyline equivalent of the same

She is also used once in the Bartolomeu storyline, but I don't think you get to face off against her there.
And you do meet Davy Jones at some (normally earlier) point in the Jack Sparrow storyline, but that is a shore encounter so the Dutchman isn't there.

The Kraken is never ever used in gameplay, with one single exception: As a trap in the Jack Sparrow storyline if you don't do the right thing at some point.
Just search for KrakenAttack in the Jack Sparrow quests_reaction.c file.

Make the Flying Dutchman invincible and give it the Kraken. But first, knock up a quest in which you need to find the chest containing Davy Jones' heart (and possibly also the key to unlock it). If you have this (or these) when you meet the Flying Dutchman, it is no longer invulnerable and the Kraken is no longer available. Basically, if you're going to make the Flying Dutchman behave more like the one in the film, make it vulnerable the same way as the one in the film too.
That sounds like it might belong in the actual Jack Sparrow "Dead Man's Chest" quest extension.
Not sure how or where this should and could be available in any other storylines.

This does remind me that we DO have some resources needed to continue the Jack Sparrow storyline, but it still ends just after CotBP.
There is even a "Jungle Church" location that Jack Rackham made years back that is still 100% unused.
The only way to get there at all is to use an "Enable Cheatmode" storyline jump-start.

So, what I'd like to see there/what I think would improve difficulty/the FD's power is just give her the supernatural cannons, since I originally made them just for her^^ She'll then do approx. ~ doubled damage, which definitly hurts, but still doable (We have to talk here about DamagePerSecond). A fort is now stronger than the FD, it has 42LBS and 68LBS cannons, and more of them.. And IMO there should be nothing stronger than the FD:ninja^^

For the feeling, it would be nice if Levis could actually do that with the emerging when the quest starts^^ So when a player plays this quest for the first time he will go 'holy crap, I have to go' :D

The emerging would certainly be cool to see. I wonder if the Kraken could be used as well.
It is possible for sure and there are different "intensities" for the attack so that you might actually be able to survive.
But in the Elizabeth Shaw sidequest the intention is that you DO survive. So as cool as we might make it, it must remain doable.

Why should the Flying Dutchman be the strongest thing in the game? I know we also treat the Black Pearl as a close-to-normal ship.

The wiki says the FD is unbeatable and you should run away :p. so if people do want to take it on lets give them a challenge right ;).
I think the emerging should be possible and that wouldn't take to much of a problem.
I was thinking about adding a timer then, and after a X amount of minutes you get a message the crew of the dutchman began to summon the kraken, that's your last warning then, if you still are stupid enough to fight on the kraken will join the battle after a few more minutes. Unless ofcourse you got a Jar of Dirt :p we should have that somewhere ingame :p.

I do think the FD should be quite strong. I mean look at the movies, it takes on a fleet of its ship alone without suffering much damage.

I was also thinking about screwing people even more and when the FD is almost out of health making it submerge and then emerge again fully restored. There would be a small window where you can shoot it, there should be a timer to this also so you can sink her, but it would be a lot more difficult and nearly impossible unless you attack her with the souvereign and the dauntless together or something like that.

Back