• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Improve Flying Dutchman Battle

So, what I'd like to see there/what I think would improve difficulty/the FD's power is just give her the supernatural cannons, since I originally made them just for her^^ She'll then do approx. ~ doubled damage, which definitly hurts, but still doable (We have to talk here about DamagePerSecond).
Going back to that space wargame, my super-ship did indeed have a cannon capable of seriously damaging one of the other ships with one shot and finishing it off with a second. The problem is that when the others fire back, the number of hits scored has a reasonable chance of knocking out that gun. And that's what's likely to happen to the Flying Dutchman. It will knock more of the Sovereign of the Seas' HP's off than at present, then the Sovereign of the Seas fires back, and a few salvoes later the Flying Dutchman is about as dangerous as a tartane. If the Flying Dutchman has enough firepower to seriously hurt the Sovereign of the Seas before that happens then any lesser ship won't be able to run away due to being sunk before it gets the chance. (Ever tried taking on a fort with, say, an Aurora class frigate? How long did you survive? :D)

Unless ofcourse you got a Jar of Dirt :p we should have that somewhere ingame :p.
:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

But I agree with Levis here, the Dutchman can still be damaged on the sails and then you can still run away quite easy. If you really intend to fight the evliest and powerfullest ship in the caribbean you should have to get problems, even with the Sovereign (I don't say that it shouldn't be doable).. Srsly the FD with the 32 LBS standard carronades is just a slightly improved galleon which just has insane HP, but if you got enough ammo, there's no problem for you.. but if the FD gets cannons, where you actually see your HP decreasing even on the Sovereign.. you might get nervous :D And I think the cannons I made for you have a Damage of 9.0 , which is 1 or 2 points more than the 68LBS Carronade.. so.. Like I said.. a Fort hurts maybe still more

@Pillat feel free to upload a file with the updated stats here.

The wiki says the FD is unbeatable and you should run away :p. so if people do want to take it on lets give them a challenge right ;).
I think the emerging should be possible and that wouldn't take to much of a problem.
Big deal, that just means the battle starts at short range, which probably won't bother most people and will make anyone with carronades very happy.
I was thinking about adding a timer then, and after a X amount of minutes you get a message the crew of the dutchman began to summon the kraken, that's your last warning then, if you still are stupid enough to fight on the kraken will join the battle after a few more minutes. Unless ofcourse you got a Jar of Dirt :p we should have that somewhere ingame :p.
Near enough to what I asked for. ;) Make the Flying Dutchman as near invincible as in the film, and have some film-related way to strip it of that invincibility.
I was also thinking about screwing people even more and when the FD is almost out of health making it submerge and then emerge again fully restored. There would be a small window where you can shoot it, there should be a timer to this also so you can sink her, but it would be a lot more difficult and nearly impossible unless you attack her with the souvereign and the dauntless together or something like that.
Sounds like reason enough to avoid the "Elizabeth Shaw" and "Jack Sparrow" quests. :( Challenges which are tough but beatable are fun. Just being screwed over is not...

As for the Kraken. We know from "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" that electricity will kill, or at least drive away, a giant squid. Lightning is electricity. And I've thought of another use for that fancy maquahuitl. ;)

Nah :D Better not :D Then this quest is really undoable :D The cannons of my FD have a damage of 47 per shot :D But I could maybe test a higher and still balanced damage for the FD ;)

So no recovery for the dutchman by submerging? maybe just once then? So you think you almost have her and then she comes back again. This will scare a lot of people, but the second time you can take her.

Considering that the only moment in the game where you encounter the Dutchman is one where you are supposed to RUN, I don't think there is much purpose in making the battle extremely fancy.
It would certainly be cool, but you're not supposed to even get IN that battle in the first place.

The Jack Sparrow storyline would be a different story though.

If she does it only 1 time? Would be okay, I guess..

Now there's an idea.. what if when you beat the FD the 2nd time, she submerges (or you let her sink) and then the uncursed FD emerges (can we do that even if the ship doesn't have the ability?) so you can maybe overtake her or so?

Considering that the only moment in the game where you encounter the Dutchman is one where you are supposed to RUN, I don't think there is much purpose in making the battle extremely fancy.
It would certainly be cool, but you're not supposed to even get IN that battle in the first place.

The Jack Sparrow storyline would be a different story though.

Maybe I'd like to add more encounters with the FD so having some AI to controll the FD would then be nice right? Also I think if I do it right these things would even work if you have the FD and give it to an officer :p, altough we should then disable the healing :p, but we can make it submerge then to run away so your officer doesn't get the FD shot to pieces.

Uhm.. didnt you say I am supposed to run? :D seadogs2_0071.jpg

Anyway, my unbalanced cannons seem to be a better choice.. I have a 5th Rate and one broadside from the Dutchman left me with 45% Hull.. So I think I'll slightly decrease the damage and then it's fine.. then you really have to run from her (unless you knock out the entire crew :D then she runs away) :D

Maybe I'd like to add more encounters with the FD so having some AI to controll the FD would then be nice right? Also I think if I do it right these things would even work if you have the FD and give it to an officer :p, altough we should then disable the healing :p, but we can make it submerge then to run away so your officer doesn't get the FD shot to pieces.
Considering that it was pretty much me who added the whole merging/submerging and Kraken Attack code, I wouldn't object to seeing it used in some fun ways. :cheeky

First Officer Halibut: "Sir, the enemy ship does not flee!"
Jones Jones: "She stands and fights? But that means... Oh $#!%, it's him again!"

Yes, it's again that time when, having won a second girl in a dice game, I have to deal with the sore loser. Playing as Nelson, my choice of ship for much of the game has been the Endymion class frigate HMS Aggressor, but although a fine ship, she lacks the firepower to put down the Flying Dutchman. Besides, for a showdown like this there is really only one ship suitable for Horatio Nelson. In this game HMS Victory was donated by the French navy, being formerly a Terrible class ship of the line. She has almost as many guns in a broadside as the Aggressor has in total, and they're 32 pounders, and when that lot cuts loose the cloud of wood flying off the Dutchman is a fine sight. Meanwhile the Aggressor, now under command of a companion officer, was making full use of her speed and agility, and although lacking the brutal firepower of the Victory she was still making her presence felt. Jones didn't know which way to turn; if he ran away from the Aggressor, he came closer to the Victory.

The Dutchman fired one decent salvo at the start of the game, but later on all she fired was a single gun, which is odd as there were definitely more guns on the side facing me because I was still getting reports of them being knocked out. Perhaps the fact that she only had about 5 crew left was the reason.

Eventually the inevitable happened. But the observant among you will have noticed the mistake at the beginning of this report. It's not my mistake, though. Jones was evidently badly affected by losing his ship, to the extent that he forgot his own name. So instead of another shot of the Sinking Dutchman, you get to see this:
jonesjones.jpg

Uhm... What about this post is Included In Build?
I just noticed the forum this is on and the thread prefix.

I just searched for my previous reports of action against the Flying Dutchman and added another one. I didn't notice the thread had been moved. There seems to be a lot of that these days, posts being moved without warning from one thread or area to another, and on at least one occasion then being moved back again...

But the entire Elizabeth Shaw quest is indeed included in the build. ;)

Yup, we're playing some wonderful digital ping-pong on the forum! :cheeky

Levis sometimes moves threads and I do too. It becomes funny when we move each other's threads back and forth.
That has happened at least once. :rofl

But anyway, the purpose of doing that is to keep the Bug Tracker and Build Beta & Brainstorming forums clean and free of clutter.
That makes it much easier to use those as "To-Do Lists" of sorts.

Anyway, we had a discussion before to improve the Flying Dutchman battle and make use of submerging and/or the Kraken.
So I moved this thread out of the Archive as "Planned Feature" to serve as a reminder of that.

Time to copy part of that report to Bug Tracker, then. The Flying Dutchman ought to be able to fire with more than one gun when, judging by how many guns I knock out on my next salvo, it has more than one gun pointing at me. And Jones really ought to know his own name. xD

I think the "one cannon" thing is very likely because of the "only 3 crew" and therefore is not a bug.

The "Jones Jones" thing IS though. Especially weird, since I also loaded a savegame by Red Back Dude with his character renamed to "Hawk Hawk".
I always thought such name errors occurred upon promotion AND that it was fixed a long time ago.
But it looks like it is still there and, worse, apparently applies to non-player characters too! :whipa

My main question is: How and when does that happen? Because right now, I have no clue where to look for the cause. :facepalm

Back