• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Improve Installer

Yep, it's working!

See attached installation script to see what it does and doesn't do now.
I'm keeping it simple for now with one brand new archive with everything in it and no backwards compatibility.
Still have to enable the CRC check when we've got the release version and add the "make sure the archive was installed from the installer" check.

If anyone has any further comments, questions or suggestions, I'm all ears.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• b14_beta3_installerV2.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 156
I guess (before downloading the script) this installation only holds a unique file and all build 14 and beta 3.5 files are combined to a new big archive, right?
If this the case, it must be for the build 14 full release. right?

Indeed it is one 2.5 GB 7-Zip file plus a 4 MB installer EXE.
I'm intending it for the next public release, which we should probably call Beta 4. Hopefully we can get things ironed out and that released by the end of the month or so.
We aren't ready to make it the final one yet. Not for a while, at least. I'm hoping for the end of the year with that one.

By the way, I made a new map. Just Photoshoped and merged the two maps. Perhaps it was in a hurry coz im traveling. but it must do the job for now :)
take a look:

Indeed it is one 2.5 GB 7-Zip file plus a 4 MB installer EXE.
I'm intending it for the next public release, which we should probably call Beta 4. Hopefully we can get things ironed out and that released by the end of the month or so.
We aren't ready to make it the final one yet. Not for a while, at least. I'm hoping for the end of the year with that one.
Oh! I suggest not using this system for beta releases. Unless you'll want to have for example some more beta releases, say beta 7 for example! But don't do it just for beta 4! every one should download the big file again :)
And I had another idea that I forgot lol. I think and come back to you :)

By the way, I made a new map. Just Photoshoped and merged the two maps. Perhaps it was in a hurry coz im traveling. but it must do the job for now :)
take a look:
How do you download that file from that site? Can you attach it to a forum post instead? That would probably save a lot of clicking through ads. :oops:

Oh! I suggest not using this system for beta releases. Unless you'll want to have for example some more beta releases, say beta 7 for example! But don't do it just for beta 4! every one should download the big file again :)
Re-downloading the big file is indeed unfortunate. But since the current process is being a bit unreliable, apparently, it might solve installation problems for people, no?
I can also make the final internal installer in such a way that it is compatible with future versions based on the new, large archive.
But after that, we can just move to the new system and be done with it. Better do away with stuff that doesn't work so well, isn't it?

How do you download that file from that site? Can you attach it to a forum post instead? That would probably save a lot of clicking through ads. :oops:
Forum only allows me to insert a link. I cant upload it here. Is there a way?
Previously I uploaded to one of our free direct link servers which doesnt allow files bigger than 1.5Mb
4shared is fine just click the download button under picture preview and wait some seconds :)

Re-downloading the big file is indeed unfortunate. But since the current process is being a bit unreliable, apparently, it might solve installation problems for people, no?
I can also make the final internal installer in such a way that it is compatible with future versions based on the new, large archive.
But after that, we can just move to the new system and be done with it. Better do away with stuff that doesn't work so well, isn't it?
Anyway that was my opinion, do as you wish :) you could ask other members for their opinion

Plus that you can still make it compatible with old archive. Just needs a little more scripting. I'll look into it if you wanted. but right now i'm busy...

Forum only allows me to insert a link. I cant upload it here. Is there a way?
Previously I uploaded to one of our free direct link servers which doesnt allow files bigger than 1.5Mb
4shared is fine just click the download button under picture preview and wait some seconds :)
There should be a button at the bottom of this page:
upload_2015-8-13_0-2-1.png

Anyway that was my opinion, do as you wish :) you could ask other members for their opinion
I'll continue to make this installer work completely and post it for testing. At least people can try to break this new process then.
And I'll probably post a poll then too to see what is considered best.

I have downloaded the most recent installer today. Put in the main game folder with the .dat file and when I run it I get the main game files not found error message and the installation aborts.

What file name is the installer asking for? Just make sure to have it with that name in the same folder.
You are letting it install the Main Files, right?

What file name is the installer asking for? Just make sure to have it with that name in the same folder.
You are letting it install the Main Files, right?

I am not sure what files it is asking for the error I get is main game files not found be sure and install... first. The installer, the .dat file and the Aug 13 version of the game are in the same folder games/POTC and I am letting it install to the POTC folder.

Sorry I couldn't get them under 2.5MB compressing them in WinRAR.

Here is the exact text of the error I am getting "Original game not found. Make sure you install the 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean game by Akella frist!

That means you are pointing the installer to a folder that does not contain the Unmodded game.
It checks for the presence of engine.exe and readme.txt which are both stock game files.

I got this fixed by deleting the engine exe file and replacing it with one from another version of the game I had. Earlier I had(stupidly) renamed the engine exe file. I changed it back, but apparently the installer didn't see it.

Indeed the installer specifically looks for engine.EXE . It isn't clever enough to detect that you renamed it.
Glad to hear you figured it out.

OHH. :facepalm That is why I had to do a complete reinstall every time as I had renamed the engine.exe.

Back