• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Improve officer importance

It was not me who talked about changing the officer recruitment system. I don't repeatedly go in and out of taverns looking for officers as all I need is a gunner and a navigator. Those show up sooner or later.

What does bother me is the whole 3.4 officer perk system as it is still a complete mystery to me. I can't tell what perks belong to whom.

What does bother me is the whole 3.4 officer perk system as it is still a complete mystery to me. I can't tell what perks belong to whom.
I'll try to explain, but probably @Levis could do so better.

Different officer types contribute different perks as defined in PROGRAM\Officers.c .
This should have been the case before as well, but as player you never knew because the game didn't tell you in any way.

In Beta 3.4, when you go to F2>Character>Abilities, officers show ONLY those perks that they contribute based on their officer type.
This is changed for Beta 3.5 so that non-contributing perks do show again (and can be assigned),
but they show at the bottom of the list and have a note that they do not contribute for that officer type.

As a bonus, tick marks are added in that interface for the player and any companion ship captains.
These indicate that some officer already contributes that perk, so you know you don't have to prioritize on that one.
I can't remember now if this applies only to captains or also the other officers though.

Anyway, does that explain something? If not, please let me know what is still confusing.
Better we get it all clarified, eh? :wp

In 3.4 all the officers have a long list of perks. Some are ticked and some are not. They are supposed to be different colors to show which the officer is contributing and which belong to someone else. I can't see any difference.

When the other list is clicked on a much shorter list shows what that officer is good for. Most officers are pretty useless and are only good for soaking up lots of money. So I am still trying to figure out which officer type would make a good companion Captain and which ones would compliment him in his command. It also doesn't help that I have not been playing 3.4 and have forgotten most of this stuff.

The colours are the same as they always were: Coloured = Officer has that ability, Grey = Officer doesn't have it.
The extra thing are the Tick Marks.

If you use the filter, you get to see the list of abilities you can assign to that officer based on the amount of free ability points.
So if that officer has very few points or some abilities are locked by other ones, indeed that list could be *very* short or even completely empty.
It is the main list that shows which abilities are contributed though.

And of course by all means try and find more Hornblower loopholes! The more you find, the more we can close them up. :cheeky
Did you get the latest update yet? Any luck with hiring any officers now?
I've now installed the update (only to find that there's now an even newer one!) and it is indeed now impossible to hire officers in the tavern. I've yet to try bringing crew ashore and promoting them to officers.

I've yet to try bringing crew ashore and promoting them to officers.
I disabled every way I could think of, including that one.
Only exception might be sidequest characters, but the Hornblower storyline doesn't have any sidequests. Yet.

Is hiring officers re-enabled when the story ends and the game should switch to free play?

Is hiring officers re-enabled when the story ends and the game should switch to free play?
Should be, yes. Basically everything that is disabled while the storyline is still in progress should be reset at the very end.

Which reminds me.... Please make a savegame just before the very end so I can test it.
I'll see about adding a slight extension to it to at leat formally put you in command of a ship of your own; right now the code does do that, but nobody in the game actually tells you.

Also, if there are any "loose ends" that you notice, please make a list so that when I make the extension, I might as well close those things too.

Back