• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Improve the Crewmembers on Shore Mod

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Another example of glorious game play. Stuck on the stairs because of an ambush in a tavern.
POTC4 2015-11-09 14-47-19-76.jpg

Another example of glorious game play. Stuck on the stairs because of an ambush in a tavern.
View attachment 23782
This is the moment you grab your gun and start shooting at people right?
This is a problem which was there in the stock game already and I don't think we can really fix this...

It seems a fair few people have been making use of the Crewmembers on Shore mod lately.
This is a mod that was done by @Screwface many, MANY years ago and basically hasn't been touched since.
I know @Hylie Pistof and @Jason have both been running into some unexpected stuff from this.

Once you get crewmembers to follow you ashore, that also unlocks a whole bunch of extra encounters.
Soldier patrols ashore, random ambushes, tavern brawls and more.
The idea was that you've got more weapons along with you and are drawing more attention to yourself,
so there should be some more encounters and enemies as well to prevent this being a cheat.
Effectively this functions as an ingame toggle on extra encounters.

Since none of this is in any way new, I don't consider this a huge priority,
but it would be nice to tweak this once Beta 4 has been released.
There is some definite room for improvement, after all:
- Enemy ships at sea triggered through this to be generated with pirate flag to avoid adverse effects on nation relations
- The dialogs are really bad on spelling and their coding isn't particularly clean either
- Should perhaps some of these encounters be ALWAYS enabled (though toned down)?
@Levis already made a start on that when he re-purposed some of them for his Extra Atmosphere mod.

Those are just some of my own initial thoughts. But what do you guys think?
How would you like to see this work? And what would you prefer to see changed?

It would be nice to know haw to make it all stop as I normally do not take crew ashore.

It would be nice to know haw to make it all stop as I normally do not take crew ashore.

It is continuing because you had in the past crew onshore ( but they all got killed - so you were not able to send them back to the ship ) - to make it stop take some more crew ashore - then talk to one of them and choose the dialog option to send them all back to the ship. That should stop all the extra people from appearing ( may also have to go back to your ship then back to land yourself to make it happen ).

:drunk

I already told you twice the past week, including the exact dialog option you need to use.
Don't know what else to do for you. :shrug

:facepalm I did not it know at that time or afterwards until I posted about it here. You are doing nothing for me.

Now that some people do get an adverse game experience due to some old issues with this mod,
I think we should make some slight tweaks and include them in Beta 4 before the public release.

For starters, I intend to add an option to the crewmembers on deck to recall all your crewmembers ashore because "you are drawing too much attention to yourself".
That will disable all these extra encounters without first having to ask a crewmember who is already ashore with you (and whom you might not have because they all died :shock ).

Also, rather than having the sea captains generated through this mod always be Pirate,
it may make more sense (and is easier to code) to just exempt them from the whole "nations relations" mod altogether.
Which means that if they're French and you're friendly to France, you can still sink or capture them without losing points with France.

I'd also appreciate the spelling in related dialogs to be improved, but I won't have time to do that myself any time soon.
Maybe @jack sparring would be willing to assist there?

Are there any other points that really need to be improved here on short notice because they're wrong and/or hurt the game?

maybe turn down the chance of getting the encounters a little bit. From what I understood they happen very often. I don't know how the chance is calculated.

Don't know either. Should be easy enough to find.
I seem to remember changing that code before to make it take into account vcskip.

These are the ones:
Or if you're up for some more straight-forward spelling correcting, I know some other files which are ATROCIOUS!

They are the ones in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH named "random_*_dialog.h" .

These are mainly for the Crewmembers on Shore encounters.
:doff

At least the following points need to be addressed prior to the Beta 4 public release:
Now that some people do get an adverse game experience due to some old issues with this mod,
I think we should make some slight tweaks and include them in Beta 4 before the public release.

For starters, I intend to add an option to the crewmembers on deck to recall all your crewmembers ashore because "you are drawing too much attention to yourself".
That will disable all these extra encounters without first having to ask a crewmember who is already ashore with you (and whom you might not have because they all died :shock ).

Also, rather than having the sea captains generated through this mod always be Pirate,
it may make more sense (and is easier to code) to just exempt them from the whole "nations relations" mod altogether.
Which means that if they're French and you're friendly to France, you can still sink or capture them without losing points with France.

I think the problem is that if all the crewmembers ashore are killed - players can forget that they have asked them to come ashore and wonder why all these additional encounters are happening the next time they go ashore since they have no crewmembers with them. ( players can forget during the time it takes to sail from one island to another that they have activated this mod)

Would it be possible - if all the crewmembers ashore are killed - then the next time the player goes ashore they are replaced by another group - so that the players knows that they still have these guys with them and will have the extra encounters until they tell these guys to get lost ( either ashore or on ship).

:duel:

Back