• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Improvement of the HMS Victory.

Glorious! So all three models are now slightly different, right?
Does this mean we can officially do away with the old Endeavour and her retextures? :woot

Just a quick question: what exactly are the differences between the various ships now?
I do see that the Victory is black-and-yellow, the Endeavour is brown-and-yellow and the Dauntless is dark blue-and-yellow,
but I can't really tell the differences other than that. I don't remember the Endeavour being brown-and-yellow from the films,
though I actually do like it because she's now very clearly NOT the Victory.

As far as I remember all the ships in the film were black yellow. The color combination I have is from a graphic (see above).
The differences are, firstly, the number of guns and the stern is different from the Victory.
The difference between the Dauntless for Endeavour is 102 to 108 guns. But they better you look to you ingame. ;)

Glorious! So all three models are now slightly different, right?
Does this mean we can officially do away with the old Endeavour and her retextures? :woot
I'm on it, cap'n! Well, replacing the Endeavour and Dauntless themselves, anyway.
We can't remove all 90-Gun ships, though, without 90-ish-Gun replacements.
And these beasties are a bit bigger than them! xD:
However, we do have red and white variations of the new Victory to use up...

Just a quick question: what exactly are the differences between the various ships now?
I do see that the Victory is black-and-yellow, the Endeavour is brown-and-yellow and the Dauntless is dark blue-and-yellow,
It looks more black than brown in-game, luckily. And yes, the differences are much clearer when you see the models yourself! :woot
As pgargon said, the stern of the new ships differs from Victory (they have balconies),
and the quarterdeck looks different (e.g. the central stairs where Beckett walks to his death are there). And of course, the gun totals are different.
Another difference not yet realised, though, is that both Dauntless and Endeavour have only a pennant on the mainmast and an ensign on the spanker; no other flags.
But I'm working on that during the porting process. ;)

These three incredible vessels are now fully ported to PotC! :dance
See the following links for screenshots:

HMS Victory
HMS Dauntless
HMS Endeavour

They've each had their interface screenshots updated, too.
I plan to release a bunch of ships, plus an update to the Interface Screenshots Mod, just before Christmas! :xmas

That sounds great, Experienced Captain! Thanks for clarifying.
As for the old Endeavour-based models, I do reckon those are very low-detail and we should try to remove them if we can.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I noticed an error in the Victory's quarterdeck. Her quarterdeck (highlighted in red) as she was in 1900 is totally different from what we have here. Have a look and compare them.

Attachments

• 439px-Victory_Portsmouth_um_19001.jpg
    439px-Victory_Portsmouth_um_19001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 4,328
Two things really:
1) From 1889 'till 1904, Victory was fitted as a Naval School, and looked considerably different to how she looks today.
The difference is especially noticeable if you look and images of her bow from that time.
In her current form, the real ship resembles, as closely as possible, how she looked at Trafalgar, minus all the damage.

2) Our game doesn't extend beyond the 1800's, so even if we did change the model to fit your picture, it would no longer be historically accurate in-game.

Therefore, going by her current appearance, she correctly resembles the real ship in the game's time period. ;)

Now, here's one of victory in 1884. I couldn't outline in red cos of the alpha mapping of the photo. Just trying to add some input, not to destroy this topic =)

Attachments

• 496px-HMS_Victory_18841.jpg
    496px-HMS_Victory_18841.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 552
OK, here's a direct comparison:
a_gosport.jpg
2949262171_13d7ce8752.jpg

You can see just how different she really looked. On the left is Victory around 1900, before she was moved to the dry dock in 1922, where her current incarnation (right) stands permanently.
After Trafalgar, she continued to sail under many admirals, so clearly her appearance also changed with the times, until 1812 when she was moored and used as a depot ship (as seen in the left photo).
I believe she looked like the left photo until just before 2005, when she was restored to how she looked at Trafalgar.

Now, while we could ask pgargon to totally change the appearance of his current Victory model to fit the left image, you tell me which of the two looks better... :rolleyes:
True, we don't have a warship that resembles the left one, but I see no problems with the current Victory model.

Neither do I see any problem. It's fine to me. But I feel we're doing her a lil' disrespect, if you catch my drift. She was honored at Trafalgar. Once used as a depot ship, her quarterdeck was changed a little but noone made a model of her as a depot ship. It shows that what she is used for actually determines the look of the various models of Victory, if you get my meaning. Still, I'm very impressed with what pgargon has been doing so far. I never thought I that this would even take off :doff . Bravo, pgargon!

I think she wasn't changed specifically for the purpose of being a depot ship, but rather the design change was due to how warships evolved in the early 19th Century.
In truth, it would be nice to have a ship of that design in the game, purely because it better resembles typical US 1st Rates than the current Victory painted white.
Also, it was a clear design change that affected many ships, similar in style to the Constitution.
But of course, we can always marvel at pgargon's excellent work in the meantime. :keith

I wonder why I make it a point to do this but I think I can get the Endeavour to display a blue-yellow colour scheme but yet to be able to distinguish it from the Dauntless. Attached is a link to an image of Endeavour's transom. It it 90% yellow as compared to the Dauntless' 58% yellow and it has NO BALCONY. Also, the blue stripes could be thicker. This also applies to the Dauntless but it defeats the purpose of having the 2 ships different. BUT!! I'm sure pgargon would find a way around this problem. If I have a say in this, maybe the Endeavour could be scripted to display an EITC flag while the Dauntless displays a Royal Navy 'Blue' squadron ensign? I don't know but I think this will change this mod for the better. Sounds biased but, it's my opinion and you guys can add your's too.

Endeavour image

I think the two color are only for a better difference the both ships. Sorry, but the Dauntless and Endeavour has balconys!

Dauntless
dauntless01.jpgdauntless02.jpg

Endeavour

Attachments

• Endeavour01.jpg
    Endeavour01.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 642
  • Endeavour02.jpg
    Endeavour02.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Endeavour03.jpg
    Endeavour03.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 579
the Dauntless and Endeavour has balconys!

I know the Endeavour has balconys but they don't look like they're useable like the ones on the Dauntless. But then again, maybe it's cos of the camera angles =S. Still, even if there are balconys, the transom windows don't sink in like the current version. The windows are as they are and the balcony bulges OUT. Im not being fussy, or a troll I just think it will look better?

Still, pgargon, great work. I'm still using the Dauntless as my flagship, HMS Indefeatable!

PS: Thumbs up for the still of the Endeavour's Transom mid-explosion!

All this business of being picky has got me re-texturing again... :rolleyes:

I was thinking of ways to distinguish the Dauntless/Endeavour's transoms from that of the Victory, since the only current differences are the balconies and colours.
So, using a combination of images for reference, including pgargon's film screens, I've re-textured the Dauntless' transom, and also tweaked the shades of blue and yellow on the hull:

Dauntless_stern_new.jpg

So how does it look?
I've included the nameplate, since it is a unique quest ship, and therefore should be allowed one. (Before Pieter starts complaining again! :razz)
Also, that image (unintentionally) showcases my new version of the 'pure white' sail texture.

Currently, the only problem is that the nameplate also appears on the underside of the balconies, because of the way the texture is mapped, but luckily it's hard to see this in-game. :wp
I'll give the Endeavour the same treatment soon...

As promised, here's the re-textured Endeavour:

Endeavour_re-textured.jpg

The stern is detailed in the same way as the Dauntless, along with the nameplate, and the colours have been tweaked.
I've also made the masts black and darkened the deck texture slightly (as seen in the birds-eye view of Endeavour approaching the Pearl and Dutchman, in pgargon's pictures).
So, what's the verdict? :will

It gives the navy ships a new look, doesn't it? Much more like the films. Glad you like it. :doff
The original idea was Midn. Toni Ryan's, when he commented about the vertical stripes on the sails.
All I did was make them very faint, and tweak the tones here and there, and voilà! New sails!

Anyway... specifically, what do people think of the improved Dauntless and Endeavour textures?

I'm not complaining about the nameplates. Or anything else involved here! :razz

Back