• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Inconsistency in gambler start dialogue

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
The gambler start begins with a standard "I am making you captain of this ship we captured, because I am retiring" scene, and then after you choose to venture out in the storm, you are on a beech where your dualing opponent says you won the ship from him.

Of course the ship shouldn't have two origins--perhaps change one or the other, so that the ship either is given by your previous captain, or it was won in the card game?

good catch. This probalby is because we merged some things together. maybe @Grey Roger or @Pieter Boelen has an idea on what we want with this.

Please look at the Robert Fletcher dialog file. The gambler start should have a different dialog at the start in the cabin, not the default one.

It might be just not working--when I started as a gambler, the guy had the normal dialogue saying he was giving me the ship, right down to offering me the choice of complaining about not getting his "Poseidon 3rd class"

this is what robert fletcher should tell you:
Code:
case PLAYER_TYPE_GAMBLER:
                    dialog.text = "Captain, while we are happy to serve under you, we have no ill will towards our previous commander. He is just an unlucky man.";
                    link.l1 = "He accused me of cheating! How dare he do such a thing? I'll make him pay for that.";
                    link.l1.go = "stormystart";
                break;

Is that what you get ?

@Tingyun ?

No, it was the standard dialogue, including the distinctive "I was hoping to get your poseidon 3rd class" dialogue option.

I will find time later tonight to test the various issues like this, men at arms, and that sidequest. Will do so and post results about 10 hours from now.

@Levis

Confirmed bug, and I think figured out what is going on. It seems to depend on starting ship selection.

1st batch of Tests: Ran multiple gambler starts under various conditions. If the starting boat was an armed tartane or a tier 6 ship, then there was no bug, I got the dialogue about winning the boat, everything worked.

2nd batch of Tests: Twice with starting boat as a dinghy, the bug occurred, and instead of the gambler dialogue you get the standard tutorial dialogue about the captain giving you the ship and retiring. Then, if you select stormy start, the gambler start picks up on the beech, and you have the inconsistency bug I mentioned.

So, I think this bug might occur when the player's starting ship selection does not have a captain's cabin (I am not sure if ships other than the Dinghy are that small, it might be confined to it), and the normal gambler start bugs out without a proper cabin to put the player in, and the normal tutorial takes over.

Although the bug is there, it probably is not worth it to spend time to fix this bug--I don't think many players choose to have such a small ship on a gambler start. Basically, I was trying to replicate the castaway start with another role, but I went back to castaway anyway.

hmmm...that sounds very weird. I think I'll leave this one for @Pieter Boelen because he knows better how this introduction works....

Will require some investigation.
What exact starting options serve to trigger this issue?

Triggered twice: Golden Age (two different years), two different character models without additional stuff attached to them (from the random character list), sea dog, Dinghy starting craft.

I think the Dinghy starting craft was the source with its lack of cabin, as an armed tartane that had an interior scene did not trigger the bug, and neither did a class 6 ship.

In the Free Play both_reaction.c file find:
Code:
// KK -->
         if (GetCharacterShipCabin(PChar) == "Cabin_none" && CharPlayerType != PLAYER_TYPE_CASTAWAY)
           Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Malcolm Hatcher")].Dialog.CurrentNode = "OnMalcolmShip";
         else
           Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Malcolm Hatcher")].Dialog.CurrentNode = "start";
// <-- KK
Replace with:
Code:
// KK -->
         Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Malcolm Hatcher")].Dialog.CurrentNode = "start";
         switch(CharPlayerType)
         {
           case PLAYER_TYPE_NAVAL_OFFICER:   /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_ROGUE:       /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_GAMBLER:     /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_AGENT:       /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_SMUGGLER:     /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_CURSED:     /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_CORSAIR:     /*nothing*/ break;
           case PLAYER_TYPE_CASTAWAY:     /*nothing*/ break;
           //default:
           Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Malcolm Hatcher")].Dialog.CurrentNode = "OnMalcolmShip";
         }
// <-- KK

Back