• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Increase rate of cannon skill gain

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
@Grey Roger Suggested Cannons go up too slowly in the course of another discussion: Feature Request - Shared XP Discussion | PiratesAhoy!

@Levis Responded to that by saying: "After hearing your story I guess cannons should be raised a bit and maybe repair should be lowered a bit?"
Feature Request - Shared XP Discussion | PiratesAhoy!

And then we discussed other things and lost track of that suggestion.

Here are the current factors from leveling, perhaps @Grey Roger can suggest the right change to cannons (and clarify whether to reduce repair or leave as is?)

case "Leadership": expMult = 2.5 ; break;
case "Fencing": expMult = 1.75; break;
case "Sailing": expMult = 0.8 ; break;
case "Accuracy": expMult = 1.25; break;
case "Cannons": expMult = 0.4 ; break;
case "Repair": expMult = 50 ; break;
case "Defence": expMult = 1.5 ; break;
case "Sneak": expMult = 1.5 ; break;
case "Grappling": expMult = 3 ; break;
case "Commerce": expMult = 0.50; break;

Since that discussion I've actually raised the cannon XP gain already and lowered the repair. altough it looks like this change was accendelty overwritten somewhere.
Or maybe it was never implemented due to the sharedXP discussion not being over.
I sugest changing cannons to 0.5 which will give it a 20% increase
I also sugest changing repair to 25 which will give it a 50% decrease

Do you think it will be enough to only increase it 20%? I fired my cannons multiple times in a test game, and it seemed like accuracy was going up several times faster than cannons skill was, if that is indeed the case, even 100% increase may not keep pace (assuming we want cannons and accuracy to increase at similar rates--which seems logical--and it isn't by design that accuracy goes up much faster). I don't have a good sense of it, just started a game with a naval brig and fired at some coast raiders watching the two skills go up.

Last edited:
Do you think it will be enough to only increase it 20%? I fired my cannons multiple times in a test game, and it seemed like accuracy was going up several times faster than cannons skill was, if that is indeed the case, even 100% increase may not keep pace (assuming we want cannons and accuracy to increase at similar rates--which seems logical--and it isn't by design that accuracy goes up much faster). I don't have a good sense of it, just started a game with a naval brig and fired at some coast raiders watching the two skills go up.
I don't have enough data so untill I have I prefer to do it in small increments.

I agree that Accuracy goes up significantly faster than Cannons. Maybe change Cannons to 1.25, the same as Accuracy? Or at least to 0.8, which will double it.

I agree that Accuracy goes up significantly faster than Cannons. Maybe change Cannons to 1.25, the same as Accuracy? Or at least to 0.8, which will double it.
To prevent any confusion, those values are massively dependent on the number of times the "give XP" function is called for that skill.
If it only happens once every day, then it must get a higher multiplier than if it happens for each cannonball hit.
That does make it quite hard to balance. :facepalm

Cannons and Accuracy are presumably being used at about the same time, which is when you fire your cannons. That's why I suggest they go up at the same rate. It does make sense that Repair needs a higher factor, though 50 has proven excessive - perhaps 25, as @Levis suggests, would balance better with other skills.

I don't really know where they're used. Isn't Accuracy used ashore for pistol fighting too?

About the multipliers.
Unless I'm going trough all places where XP is given and redefine them it's easier to just use multipliers. The XP gain for different activities of the same skill was balanced in the past already so I don't want to touch this balance. these multipliers just balance the XP gain for all different skills. This was done in the old system as well, but the multipliers used in there can't be used again because they where altered and altered again in mulitple fuctions so it was really hard to determine their real value.

I mostly try to find a balance between the skills here. A allround character who does all kind of stuff should have all his skills level at about the same pace.
So if someone has a savegame of such a character who is progressed quite a bit in the game already (at least level 15/20 or so) I would love to see screenshots of his character screen. from the info on there I can calculate what the multipliers should be.

If you got a character which is playing in an other role but you can say what you expect the skills to be and show a screenshot that would help too. from there we can calculate stuff also

I mostly try to find a balance between the skills here. A allround character who does all kind of stuff should have all his skills level at about the same pace.
So if someone has a savegame of such a character who is progressed quite a bit in the game already (at least level 15/20 or so) I would love to see screenshots of his character screen. from the info on there I can calculate what the multipliers should be.
No screenshots available yet as I'm starting over with new installs. But from what I remember, both my Repair skill and that of the carpenter (and, for that matter, the quartermaster) went up a lot faster than the Cannon or Accuracy skill for the gunner, and he's the one who is supposed to be getting the skills at double my rate. And his Accuracy was noticably higher than his Cannon.
I don't really know where they're used. Isn't Accuracy used ashore for pistol fighting too?
If so, that suggests that the multiplier for Cannons should be higher than the one for Accuracy, not lower. ;)

Indeed it would. :cheeky
if a cannonshot gives the same amount of cannon XP vs accuracy XP ;).
But we can try it. Will try a new distribution in my new zip.
Will try to do some quick testing by shooting show ships to davy jones locker and see what kind of XP it gives me (now just to determine which ship I'm going to use for this job :aar)

I recommend a Heavy East Indiaman. 52 guns, of which 4 forward and 4 aft, so 24 guns to a broadside, and only 12 pounders. Or get a big man of war and downgrade it to 4 pounders. That way you get lots of shots, therefore presumably lots of Cannons and Accuracy XP, before the target sinks and you have to find another one. :pirate41:

Back