• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Ingame Explanation of Nation Relations

I did a check on the governor dialog and that was okay. Although the first line about the 75% commission sounds weird. Maybe say it's only for captured ships.

I did a check on the governor dialog and that was okay. Although the first line about the 75% commission sounds weird. Maybe say it's only for captured ships.
How's this?
Code:
"You should be advised that I shall require a 75 percent commission on the proceeds of any ships you sell. But there is a fixed price for any ship sold by those in my service.",
I think technically it applies to ALL ships you sell right now, even if you originally bought that ship yourself.
Perhaps not quite fair, but that is how it is set up now I believe....

How's this?
Code:
"You should be advised that I shall require a 75 percent commission on the proceeds of any ships you sell. But there is a fixed price for any ship sold by those in my service.",
It sounds as though the governor is pocketing the 75%. Which he may indeed be doing, but he wouldn't admit it. :wp Perhaps instead say that you shall receive 25% of the value of any ship you sell, as your share of the prize money. That makes it sound more like a reward for your service rather than a massive tax.

I think technically it applies to ALL ships you sell right now, even if you originally bought that ship yourself.
Perhaps not quite fair, but that is how it is set up now I believe....
Serves you right. What sort of pirate - er, privateer - are you that you pay for a ship? xD

More seriously, I thought the game was capable of distinguishing between ships you bought, ships you captured under a LoM and ships you pirated. If so, why can't the 25% be applied only to ships captured under a LoM? (Possibly pirated ships too; the shipyard will want its cut of the proceeds, plus there's the trouble of disposing of a stolen ship.)

It sounds as though the governor is pocketing the 75%. Which he may indeed be doing, but he wouldn't admit it. :wp Perhaps instead say that you shall receive 25% of the value of any ship you sell, as your share of the prize money. That makes it sound more like a reward for your service rather than a massive tax.
That does indeed sound better. I'll change that tonight. :onya

I'd REALLY appreciate some feedback from players on what to change to make the "Relations Tutorial" fit in better with the game.
And how do you like it in its current form?

I see that I get this questbook topic: "Tutorail - delaing with International Relations" in the GoldBug too.
Is there any other way to skip that in both my 2 storylines or should I just add
deletequestheader() etc in their StartStoryline.c files?

I see that I get this questbook topic: "Tutorail - delaing with International Relations" in the GoldBug too.
Is there any other way to skip that in both my 2 storylines or should I just add
deletequestheader() etc in their StartStoryline.c files?
There is no guarantee that is even going to stay at all.
If I get the feedback from players that I've been asking for, perhaps we can think of a better way to handle this.
I just can't think of any, so HELP ME!

So anyone got any comments on this "Tutorial" thing? If nobody comments, I'll leave it in its current state for the Beta 4 public release.
But I do believe the current version could do with some improving in making it a bit more subtle in its approach, so I would welcome any suggestions you might have.

New idea: Minor acts of piracy are NOT terrible, but DO need to be noted.
So I now intend to have the tutorial quest triggered upon your first minor act of piracy.
That means that as long as you remain respectable, it doesn't bother you.
And it actually gets triggered at the time where it plays a role, rather than before.

This does mean that if players' first act of piracy is a BAD one and they didn't know about how it works,
they'll be screwed before they get to see the tutorial. But I consider that fairly unlikely.

I have now implemented my above suggestion. This means that the "Nations Relations" tutorial is NOT forced on the player anymore at game start.
It now gets triggered either at your first act of piracy OR if you get the relation book in some other way.
This should hopefully maintain its usefulness, but better ties it into the actual game and hopefully makes it less obnoxious too. :cheers

Added bonus for @Jack Rackham: This should get rid of the related questbook entry in the Gold-Bug storyline altogether.

Indeed, I do believe it works as well as I can figure out for now.
Until anyone says otherwise, I'm happy with it as-is! :whipa

I noticed that the intended Questbook Update did NOT get triggered when it was meant to.
Found a different function call to use now, so hopefully for the next update, it actually will work as intended.

It did work when I was testing this before, but at that time I was just faking it through console from ashore. :oops:

Moved this one to the Bug Tracker and marked as "Needs Testing".
Today I noticed that the tutorial note you're meant to get upon you first "Unrespectable Act" did NOT actually occur due to the function call I used.
I applied a different one here instead: Fix in Progress - Food Supply Calculation error | PiratesAhoy!

But unfortunately I got a CTD while I was trying to test this and I have run out of time to try again.
What needs checking:
- Sink a ship without a LoM on a New Game: Do you get an immediate questbook update afterwards?
- Same thing, but by capturing a ship under the same conditions.

I'd like to know if both actually DO trigger the note they're meant to. :facepalm

I have not sunk a ship but did capture 2 and got quest book updates both times. The pirates do not like me.

BOTH times? It is supposed to happen only once!
Did you get the same update multiple times? Do you have a screenshot of it?
Was it with yesterday's v2 fix?

The Pirates should not immediately turn friendly now; but they should hate you less than they did before.

Back