• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Ingame Explanation of Nation Relations

I just looked in my game and there is no mention of any ships being captured or sunk anywhere except in the ship log. There it shows 2 ships captured while Gibbs sank one too, but it does not show. My relations with the pirates are now at -94.

When you say "it does not show", do you mean the Ship Log counter didn't update?
If you indeed only attacked pirates, you shouldn't get the warning note as pirates are fair game.
Since you got a worse relation with the pirates now than at the start of the game, that does sound likely....

I looked again and this is what I found.
POTC4 2015-10-19 13-23-51-34.jpg POTC4 2015-10-19 13-24-40-64.jpg POTC4 2015-10-19 13-26-04-14.jpg

I looked again and this is what I found.
You captured two ships, you said, which are included on the counters in the Ship's Log.
Of course the log text itself mentions only one ship, which is a bit curious, but not something I'm inclined to worry about.

Your relations are still the same as they were at the start of your game, only the pirates are a bit more hostile.
That should mean you also only dealt with pirate enemies, which by definition cannot be an "Unrespectable Act".
So also no questbook entry to warn you about that, since you didn't actually do it.

Nothing particularly worrisome there.
I will be curious if you get the expected Questbook entry if you capture or sink an English ship though.
That should do it....

Need some SERIOUS FEEDBACK on this one!
As was again noted earlier this week, we really need players to get to get a grasp on these new systems to avoid all sorts of confusion.
I put all sorts of stuff in place to help the players to do it, but so far I have received zero feedback on whether that works and actually helps at all.

I'm changing the on-screen message you get when attacking a ship while under a still-friendly flag:
Code:
           LogIt("Captain, we are under a flag friendly to the ship we're attacking. We may be branded a pirate if we don't hoist our true colours!");
           PlaySound("INTERFACE\notebook.wav");
AND I added a sound to draw more attention to it.
Hopefully that will help players to notice it is there and take the appropriate action.

Mainly for testing purposes, I'm making some updates to the Ship's Log Interface:
upload_2015-10-25_14-44-0.png

Since I moved the relevant code, you should now also get such entries when one of your companions makes the final kill.

From what I did now I'd say it's good but I also like to hear others about it.

Of course people are going to be confused no matter what I do to make it clear.
But at least it should be much better than having no explanation available at all. :shrug

Since apparently nobody bothers to comment, we might as well close this.

To further reduce confusion, I added the following Ship's Log entry when you get your Served Nation set to PIRATE:

Marked as a Pirate
The civilized nations of the world consider me a pirate in consequence of my actions. I had better tread carefully around them if I want to avoid getting my head in a noose. It may be possible to rectify this by declaring my loyalties as a Privateer. On the other hand, joining the Brethren of the Coast could be much more profitable.

Back