• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Ingame explanation officer system

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
Zo the officer system is quite complex by now. I think we should have an in game explanation. How do you guys think that should be? I was thinking by having a book explaining it but maybe we should do it by dialog instead? And who should explain it?

Dialog would suggest a tutorial. Malcolm's is already quite long and apparently many people fail to notice what it is trying to tell them.
A book that unlocks a perk would at least force players to look at the text.

Alternatively, an officer dialog option related to 'what can you do'?
But again, who is going to read that? Or notice it even being there?

Could also make some help buttons in interface to explain stuff but that would be harder.

Doing that might cause big lag; and/or frequent crashing since system would use more memory; don't you think so?

Doing that might cause big lag; and/or frequent crashing since system would use more memory; don't you think so?
No, why would it?

I just thought the extra in game help would increase the CPU usage of the game program; which would result in higher PC performance requirements.. for example take a look at Total war Rome.. it needs good PC specifications to play; on the other hand, a simple game like Sid meir's pirates can be played at any PC despite having low PC specifications

Wil it require more? Sure. But if done well, only very slightly so. Shouldn't even be noticeable.
Same goes for just about every single modification we ever made.

Yea probably.. but i'm dying to get a new laptop.. I saw HP ones are the strongest and more capable to handle video gaming than other brands; any better suggestions? (plz dont say mac, I don't support, not have I ever used their products)

@A.H, I would suggest making a post in the Burning Brig if you want advice on buying a laptop. It's just to keep this thread on topic. ;)

What you'd say if I make a little quest which starts when you read the book describing the perk system. When finished this quest gives you 1 or 2 abilities poins as bonus. So it would be a nice thing for everyone to do :p. During the quest you will get it explained more trought dialog (subtally).

I was thinking to have this quest trigger the first time you talk to an officer in a tavern. He would give you the book explaining stuff.
In the book it would say there is a wise man somewhere on the caribbean who could tell you all about it.
If you go to him he will tell you some more and send you on a little quest to get the last "missing information".
After you return this to him he will explain you more and you get a ability point.

That shouldn't be hard to make but would "feel" right I think.

If this is to be done, please link it to the tutorial. That way, newcomers who don't know how the game works can learn about perks this way, while experienced players who already know about perks don't need to keep doing it every time they start a new game.

Or link it only to the specific officers hired from the barkeeper. That way if you confine your attentions to the random officers sitting at tables, you can avoid it if you want.

Or link it only to the specific officers hired from the barkeeper. That way if you confine your attentions to the random officers sitting at tables, you can avoid it if you want.
That would be a bit... odd. :confused:

I think the idea was that there is a sidequest available that explains the officer roles and you get some free skill points as a reward for completing it.
Nobody should be forced to play that. And even if you do play it, it is all too easy to still ignore the written text. Right?

That's the idea indeed.

I was thinking to have this quest trigger the first time you talk to an officer in a tavern. He would give you the book explaining stuff.
So the quest triggers the moment you try to recruit an officer, and presumably stays in your questbook until you complete it. You also get a book which, if it's classed as a quest item, can never be sold, tossed or given away.

I'd just like some way that experienced players, who already know what officers and perks do, can avoid the whole thing entirely.

So the quest triggers the moment you try to recruit an officer, and presumably stays in your questbook until you complete it. You also get a book which, if it's classed as a quest item, can never be sold, tossed or given away.
How do the current books work? I don't think they're quest items, so you should be able to put them in your chest once you're done looking at it.
Plus the quest doesn't have to be triggered automatically; it could be linked to an extra option in the first officer hiring dialog.

I'd just like some way that experienced players, who already know what officers and perks do, can avoid the whole thing entirely.
I will include a expire on the quest so it goes away.
As soon as it expires the book becomes a normal item again so you can toss it etc.
ok?

What about my idea where the book isn't a quest item to begin with and you need to use a specific dialog option (the first one) when hiring your first officer?
So if you blindly press buttons, the quest starts (and can expire after a set time).
But if you pay attention and don't want it, you can skip it straight away.

yeah could do that also. was still doubting if the book would actually be an questitem. Guess it wont be

What about my idea where the book isn't a quest item to begin with and you need to use a specific dialog option (the first one) when hiring your first officer?
So if you blindly press buttons, the quest starts (and can expire after a set time).
But if you pay attention and don't want it, you can skip it straight away.
I'd prefer it to be the other way round with the quest dialog several lines down, so that you have to actively select it rather than actively not select it.
Perhaps the quest can be set to expire immediately if the officer is fired or killed. Because any officer who dumps this on me will face retaliation. :walkplank

Back