• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Inside Locations

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
So we got a lot of towns and such but a lot of doors lead nowhere and I think thats really sorry.
I think if we really want to release build 14 we need to try to make it look as large as possible.

So I sugest we try to at least add all locators to all doors where this hasn't been done yet and see if we can add a "locked" icon to them so it looks like there is something behind it at least.
And we also try to add as much of them as possible. They don't have to be unique, we can use copies. But let's try to make them serve a purpose.

So for example @Pieter Boelen said there where still some EITC offices etc missing. We could look for nice places to put them and add them. if you use a copy of an existing location it shouldn't be that much work right?

Next to that we should look for as much easy to add locations.
For example:

Wine Cellars - A door which seems to lead downwards a bit could go to a nice wine cellar
Armories - I think we have an inside location somewhere which could fit this kind of room, and shouldn't each town have one.
Hospital - Don't we have an location with a lot of beds or something like that? It could serve as a hospital.

And more of those kinds of things.
I people find a location which could suit one of these things or suit something else they think would be nice, please post it here. And if people find a door in a town which would be nice to host the place also post it here.

I wont have time to do this now, but maybe other will have. These things shouldn't be that hard to add.

So I sugest we try to at least add all locators to all doors where this hasn't been done yet and see if we can add a "locked" icon to them so it looks like there is something behind it at least.
Yes that's to prefer from when nothing happens at all. :yes It's also good to have some inside locations left for future quest use.
These things shouldn't be that hard to add.
No not at all but the amount of work. :shock

I know its a lot of work.
Thats why I first want to make a list where possible. If that is done we can split stuff up and when you are bored for a moment or are stuck on something you can do one or so :p .

I think for most doors, the locators are already there. They just aren't used.
And while the lock icon doesn't show for many, the knock knock sound does play when you press space.

Unless there are specific quest or gameplay needs for more locations, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
Unused locators can be easily put to Quest use if needed.
But if they're already used for something, it gets trickier.

It is true that there are only two trade offices in the game and one Naval academy.
If we want to make more general use of those, they would have to be added.
Bit I'm OK with leaving that until Build 15.

I figure it is more important to put what we've got to the best use possible first.

In stock POTC wasn't the locked padlock icon visible for all locked doors? I think that's more logical
when we have one than showing nothing.

I do remember seeing that. Not sure why that doesn't always happen anymore.
Though I don't mind it being not there. At least that indicates there is never anything interesting behind that particular door.

Think a town looks much more inhabitated with locked icons though.
In my quests I hate to leave "empty" doors or chests.

I'm fine with it either way. The current situation doesn't bother me, but improvements are always welcome.

It's bad enough already trying to search somewhere like Havana or Cartagena for the few buildings that do something useful but at least you can quickly skip any door which doesn't flash up an icon as you move past. Trying to find the useful places after this "improvement" has been made is going to be a nightmare. Though if quick travel is enabled after you've asked a local for directions, it won't be a problem.

It's bad enough already trying to search somewhere like Havana or Cartagena for the few buildings that do something useful but at least you can quickly skip any door which doesn't flash up an icon as you move past. Trying to find the useful places after this "improvement" has been made is going to be a nightmare.
Most of the interesting spots do indicate it in their reload icon and label, of course.
But at least to me, I figure a few open houses is enough. If we are going to add locations, I'd be much more interested in a merchant and navy location for each nation, for example.
That should be much more worthwhile from a gameplay point of view.

Otherwise, there IS a mod disabled in InternalSettingsl.h named RANDOM_LOCATIONS (if I recall).
That one makes EVERY disabled reload go to some random place. It's very weird, but at least there'd be something there. :wp

Though if quick travel is enabled after you've asked a local for directions, it won't be a problem.
I do want to do that; it's quite a clever idea.
But you can't ask for directions to every location at the moment, only for a few. For example, you can't ask about the governor's manion in Tortuga.
And as Fast Travel wasn't working to go there either, it took me quite a while to locate that one.... :oops:

When I ran into a door without an icon is like meeting the gamemakers lack of interest. A door with
an icon though indicates something could have been there/prepared for future use. Triggers my fantasy.

If somebody adds it all to the game, you won't hear me complain.
But with the amount of other things we could do, I wouldn't consider it a high priority.
In the end, it's up to you guys. :doff

Back