• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Installing build 14 beta 4

Niclas Madsen

Landlubber
Hi

I'm currently trying to install the game, but the mod doesn't "see" the original game. I have bought the original game, installed it from the disc and put it into that folder.
Can you help me?
Folder.png
Destination Folder.png
Error.png

The installer EXE searches for an "engine.exe" and "readme.txt" in the destination folder that you selected.
As far as I'm aware, stock PotC does have both those files and AoP, CoAS and TEHO don't.

There are many different language versions though, all with slight differences.
Maybe you have one that misses out on the readme? If so, you can make an empty file with that name and that should solve it. :doff

Hi Pieter, thank you for attempting to help me :) This is the 2nd time you're helping me solve an issue.

I must admit, I don't know the abbreviations AoP, CoAS and TEHO, although I suspect they're other games.
I must also admit, I don't know what I'm looking for in the readme. Are you suggesting I make a file (folder/document? What type of file?) called engine.exe and readme.txt?

As you can tell, I'm not great at this stuff, so please bear with me :)

I must admit, I don't know the abbreviations AoP, CoAS and TEHO, although I suspect they're other games.
They're indeed three other very similar games that can often end up getting confused.

I must also admit, I don't know what I'm looking for in the readme.
The contents don't matter.

Are you suggesting I make a file (folder/document? What type of file?) called engine.exe and readme.txt?
Check your main game folder.
If there is no readme.txt, make a file of type TXT with name "readme".
You MUST already have engine.exe because if you didn't, you'd have no playable game. ;)

About that screenshot:
Is that showing the entire contents of "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean"? If so, that's not a valid installation. What happened when you installed the original game from the discs?

The Build Mod appears to be trying to install Beta 4.0. That ought to work, but it's out of date. Follow the link to Beta 4.1 in @Pieter Boelen 's signature. If you can't get Beta 4.0 to install then Beta 4.1 won't install either, but if you do get it working, Beta 4.1 contains some significant improvements over Beta 4.0.

When I start the game, the PC asks me if I trust ENGINE.exe. So it is there. The game is working, but I've tried to reinstall it because I had FPS issues. The FPS cap fixed that. I had to restore my PC to an older version, because I couldn't reinstall the game. There was an installation wizard missing, and I couldn't find any help. So perhaps the folder is incomplete, but the game works

Do you suggest I try to install the game from the CD again?

I don't know if it is frowned upon to ask in here, but incase it doesn't work (the reinstallation) do you then have a link to a site I can download the correct game+files? As I said, last time when it didn't work, there seemed to be no known fix. Even Pieter couldn't help me! :eek:

Reinstalling from CD might be a good idea, and make sure you know where the installation is going. In your screenshot, everything seems to be a shortcut. If the same thing happens again, see if you can find out where those shortcuts are pointing. That may be where the game is really installed, and if so, that is where you will need to install the Build Mod.

Grey thank you! I must sound like a complete fool to you, because that was indeed a shortcut! I could right click and there was an option to go to file location. Man I feel dumb. It is installing now, thanks!

Hi. I have the exact problem of the OP and i have a question to begin with:

You said it needs the engine.exe and the readme so i guess what you're saying is you HAVE to install it into the Bethesda PotC folder right?
But in other posts regarding the runtime error you said you should NOT install it into programs stuff but into a seperate folder like C:\Games ...

I'm confused now because when i try to do that of course it can't find the engine.exe because it's in another folder.
If this sounds confusing i'll clarify my question:
Where should it be installed? I'm installing the full beta so i already have the b14_beta4_final.tar and the post_25May_updates.zip that are recommended to install afterwards. Should i install it into the main game folder which is in program files (86x) or should i install the original game into a games folder in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

Should i install it into the main game folder which is in program files (86x) or should i install the original game into a games folder in the first place?
That second one.

You could also try to just move the game folder and then install the mod on top.

It's just to bypass the excessive security that Windows places on the Program Files folder.
That can sometimes interfere with all sorts of stuff. :facepalm

Thanks very much.
I did copy the original gamefolder into games so that i have 2 versions now. The original unmodded game and a copy in which i've installed the mod and also what i discovered is that i've unpacked the .tar folder everytime on top of the mod directory which apparently isn't needed but only the .zip file with recent updates. So i presume what i did wrong for that runtime error to happen was maybe not only to install everything into programs but also double unpacking the .tar folder into the final directory of the game, overwriting everything again.
That got fixed though so i'm actually able to play now. Such a great mod and i can't wait to get my hands on the naval carreer in the british navy. All hands on deck ;)
Thanks for the fast response :D

Hi, I’m having the same problems and having trouble figuring it out. Any chance I could get some help? Thanks in advance

Hi, I’m having the same problems and having trouble figuring it out. Any chance I could get some help? Thanks in advance
What problems are you having?
If you describe some details, we'll do what we can to think along. :doff

When I try to install it it says I need to install PotC made by akella in 2003, which is what I have installed. I’ve read through the forums and I’m just having trouble figuring out the fix

When I try to install it it says I need to install PotC made by akella in 2003, which is what I have installed. I’ve read through the forums and I’m just having trouble figuring out the fix
Ah; that does tell me something!

The mod Installer EXE looks for an "ENGINE.exe" and "readme.txt" in the destination folder.
I've heard there are some copies of the game that don't have the readme for some reason.
Making an empty "readme.txt" next to "ENGINE.exe" will then fool the installer into continuing.

The reason for this check is because some people tried to install the mod on various other Age of Pirates/Sea Dogs games or tried to use it as standalone. :facepalm

As you can tell I’m not great with this stuff.
No worries.
You shouldn't have to be. :doff

Ok, I tried making the documents in a folder, as well as putting the original game files with it. It still tells me I need to have the original game downloaded.

Back