• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Interface Comparison AOP2 & POTC As Promised

Elderlaw

Sailor Apprentice
Pieter, here's what I meant when I said that the PotC interface was kind of "klunky" compared to AOP2.

POTC Menu2.jpg

Product info (price, quantity, description) are spread out all over the screen, so your eye must jump around to read everything. And the icons are so big that you can't see very many items on screen at once. So lots of clicking through the horizontal list.

AOP2 Menu2.jpg

AOP2 uses a vertical layout and smaller icons. So not only can you see more items at once, but you can scroll very quickly up and down. And, all of the product info is on one line. More compact and less eye jumping.

Different indeed. I think Pirate KK one tried to do something like that for the show goods interface in PotC.
Never got finished though.

On the one hand, that would probably make things simpler indeed.
On the other hand, looking at a table doesn't feel very piratey.
The current interface is so clunky that to me it seems a bit like rummaging through an old chest.

If somebody were to redo the interfaces to be easier to work with though, you wouldn't hear me comparing.

Thanks for that.

I feel the AOP interface looks to "sterile" and breaks the immersion but I don't like the current potc interface that much either. If someone wants to make a mock-up I'm welcome to sugestions.

The AOP menu has too much imo.. a number here, an arrow there, I'll get a headache if I stare at it for too long.. The current interface at PotC is nice, but has a lack of information, thats all for me. We could adapt this design from AoP, but maybe not so much information at once^^

I feel the AOP interface looks to "sterile" and breaks the immersion but I don't like the current potc interface that much either...

The AOP menu has too much imo.. a number here, an arrow there, I'll get a headache if I stare at it for too long...

And this is why I have been careful to not use words like "better" or "worse". Nor am I advocating any changes be made to NH. I think both menu systems are great in function. And I agree the PotC menus do look more "piratey".

So it comes down to personal taste. And I am glad we have both flavors.:onya

Last edited:
The POTC interface was designed for consoles, specifically, the original Xbox. You can tell it was meant to be easily thumbed through with a controller and not a keyboard and mouse. I have always despised it for this reason. Why would you build a console interface around a computer game??

At this point, I am not sure it would be worth the effort to revamp it, it might be more trouble than it is worth. I am hoping that we can get much better results with Hearts of Oak.

BTW , if we are at HoO .. May I Alpha-test it without being able to program? I can't wait anymore to see it with my own eyes^^

At the moment, all we have are very early mock-ups for the interface, you can see some in the updates that have been posted on the front page. We will certainly make an announcement when we start looking for Alpha testers, though it will probably be quite some time still.

Back