• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Interface not showing

Did 4.1 remove the remove HUD feature? Or am I simply to stupid to use it right now?
What HUD feature are you referring to exactly?

If you play on Realistic Game Mode, several interface elements at sea are disabled until you get the equipment that would enable them.
And F9 hides it altogether.

Ahh, yes! I ment the F9 one, I was simply unable to find it anywhere in the options, so I assumed it got removed entirly.
Are you planning on adding/expanding the map size even more for the ironman mode? I am playing with Ironman exclusivly, and traveling from Grenada to guadeloupe in just 3-4 days seems a bit.. odd; better said too short.

Are you planning on adding/expanding the map size even more for the ironman mode? I am playing with Ironman exclusivly, and traveling from Grenada to guadeloupe in just 3-4 days seems a bit.. odd; better said too short.
Not planning to make any changes there, no.
The Open Sea Mod which is enabled in Iron Man Mode already increases the size of the worldmap.
Jeffrey put in a lot of effort to get the travel times relatively similar to what they should be in real life.
But given the game engine limitations, it is pretty difficult to get that right in both N/S and E/W directions at the same time.
The current situation seemed to be the best balance he could manage.

The code to change this is relatively easy though and all grouped together in the InitOpenSeaMod() function in PROGRAM\NK.c if you would want to tweak it.

3-4 days realistically is about right. If I remember correctly (and do correct me if I remembered it wrong), the voyage from Europe to the Americas is about 3-4 weeks during the age of sail, maybe 6 in really bad conditions and/or you are travelling with a large fleet that is always gonna be slower. So travel in the caribbean during the Age of Sail really isn't that redicilously long.

The code to change this is relatively easy though and all grouped together in the InitOpenSeaMod() function in PROGRAM\NK.c if you would want to tweak it.

How exactly do I do this? While I have found the file, I have no experience with the storm engine and cant acces it; and looking through the forum frankly didnt help. But just letting it as it is broke ship hunting quests for me multible times since I just bugger off to martinique while persuing them.

How exactly do I do this? While I have found the file, I have no experience with the storm engine and cant acces it; and looking through the forum frankly didnt help. But just letting it as it is broke ship hunting quests for me multible times since I just bugger off to martinique while persuing them.
You can open the file with any texteditor (notepad is okay).
search the document for "InitOpenSeaMod()"
under that you'll find:
Code:
if(iRealismMode>1 || OPEN_SEA_MOD)
    {
        DIRECTENCOUNTERCHANCE =                                25;        // chance in percent that an encounter fleet appears every hour
        DIRECTENCOUNTERDISTANCE =                            2250;    // distance from player at which random ships appear 
        ENCOUNTERBREAK =                                    3.0;    // LDH - Changed to float, number is hours per encounter, directsail is called every 5 minutes occasionally
        // so you can let the clock run faster (by increasing TIMESCALAR_SEA below), meaning longer voyagetimes, without getting too many encounters.

TIMESCALAR_SEA =                                    15;        // INT - how many seconds of gametime one second of realtime is at sea
        MAX_WBALLAST =                                        10;        // INT - how far the weighting will swing in favor of current trend.. use positive integer between 0 and 50 - 0 is no swing - 50 is major swing.. this is for Windspeed
        MAX_RBALLAST =                                        10;        // ^^DITTO for rain
        MAX_FBALLAST =                                        10;        // ^^DITTO for fog
        MAX_ABALLAST =                                        10.0;    // FLOAT - ^^DITTO for wind angle

MAX_WINDCHANGE =                                    3;        // INT - How much the wind CAN change in one hour - use positive integer between 0 and 20
        MAX_FOGCHANGE =                                        3;        // INT - ^^DITTO for fog
        MAX_RAINCHANGE =                                    3;        // INT - ^^DITTO for rain

COASTRAIDER_CHANCE =                                 0.01;    // FLOAT - Generates local ships in ports and around the islands. Some are local merchants, others pirates.
                                                                    // 0.0 : Stock PotC, no local ships at all
                                                                    // 0.1 - 0.9 : The higher that value the more pirates instead of merchants appear
        NAVYRAIDER_CHANCE =                                 2.0;     // FLOAT - Ditto, but chance that raider is a foreign warship. Chance for that is coastraider_chance * navyraider_chance
        MIN_ENEMY_DISTANCE_TO_DISABLE_MAP_ENTER =            100.0;    // FLOAT - original value is 500 - Petros: reset to 500.0 to prevent trouble
        MIN_ENEMY_DISTANCE_TO_DISABLE_ENTER_2_LOCATION =    100.0;    // FLOAT - original value is 500
        RANGE_TO_ENEMY =                                    3500;    // INT - in feet/yards/whatever unit the game uses.

WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_SCALE =                                60;        // orig 19.607843 for this and next line
        WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_ENCOUNTERS_SCALE =                    60;        // was 60 in build, 10.0 in stock. NK 05-04-30
    }
    else
    {
        DIRECTENCOUNTERCHANCE =                                50;        // chance in percent that an encounter fleet appears every hour
        DIRECTENCOUNTERDISTANCE =                            1000;    // distance from player at which random ships appear 
        ENCOUNTERBREAK =                                    1.0;    // LDH - Changed to float, number is hours per encounter, directsail is called every 5 minutes occasionally
        // so you can let the clock run faster (by increasing TIMESCALAR_SEA below), meaning longer voyagetimes, without getting too many encounters.

TIMESCALAR_SEA =                                    5;        // INT - how many seconds of gametime one second of realtime is at sea
        MAX_WBALLAST =                                        25;        // INT - how far the weighting will swing in favor of current trend.. use positive integer between 0 and 50 - 0 is no swing - 50 is major swing.. this is for Windspeed
        MAX_RBALLAST =                                        25;        // ^^DITTO for rain
        MAX_FBALLAST =                                        25;        // ^^DITTO for fog
        MAX_ABALLAST =                                        25.0;    // FLOAT - ^^DITTO for wind angle

MAX_WINDCHANGE =                                    5;        // INT - How much the wind CAN change in one hour - use positive integer between 0 and 20
        MAX_FOGCHANGE =                                        5;        // INT - ^^DITTO for fog
        MAX_RAINCHANGE =                                    5;        // INT - ^^DITTO for rain

COASTRAIDER_CHANCE =                                 0.2;    // FLOAT - Generates local ships in ports and around the islands. Some are local merchants, others pirates.
                                                                    // 0.0 : Stock PotC, no local ships at all
                                                                    // 0.1 - 0.9 : The higher that value the more pirates instead of merchants appear
        NAVYRAIDER_CHANCE =                                 0.4;     // FLOAT - Ditto, but chance that raider is a foreign warship. Chance for that is coastraider_chance * navyraider_chance
        MIN_ENEMY_DISTANCE_TO_DISABLE_MAP_ENTER =            500.0;    // FLOAT - original value is 500 - Petros: reset to 500.0 to prevent trouble
        MIN_ENEMY_DISTANCE_TO_DISABLE_ENTER_2_LOCATION =    500.0;    // FLOAT - original value is 500
        RANGE_TO_ENEMY =                                    3000;    // INT - in feet/yards/whatever unit the game uses.

WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_SCALE =                            19.607843;    // orig 19.607843 for this and next line
        WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_ENCOUNTERS_SCALE =                19.607843;    // was 60 in build, 10.0 in stock. NK 05-04-30
    }
You can change the numbers how you like.

Oh for gods sake, you shouldnt have explaind it to me.
I will be bussy the next days, last time this happend with Medieval 2 I didnt leave the house for the next 2 days
;)
Thanks a lot

Edit: Which one exactly is for the map size? I would rather not break anything right of the bat

Last edited:
Odd, I did change those, but it didnt show me any difference. I suppose that the visual change of the map for the ironman mode was added by you guys?
If I were to make the map bigger, would I need to insert a higher or a lower value then 19.?

Odd, I did change those, but it didnt show me any difference.
You would indeed not see anything. The only difference is that you'd notice different travel times.

I suppose that the visual change of the map for the ironman mode was added by you guys?
The actual F2>Inventory>Maps>Archipelago Map just switches between two different texture files.
The Iron Man Game Mode version has been manually scaled down to better match with the modified world size.

If I were to make the map bigger, would I need to insert a higher or a lower value then 19.?
60 is the Open Sea Mod/Iron Man Game Mode value. If you want it even bigger, you have to increase that number even more.

Thank you so much.
I cant imagine what sort of annoying pleb I must be, thanks for your time.
Oh believe me, after you've modded this game for a while you get used to a lot of stuff :type1

Back