• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll Iron Man Mode

what mod do you play the most

• Total voters
It would be nice if there were an intermediate scale between the two, with the islands 2/3 the size of the normal map, about twice the size of the islands on the open sea map. This wouldn't be bad for a default normal map, either.
Build Default is Realistic Game Mode. Personally I have no objections if the world scale is different between Arcade, Realistic AND Iron Man.
I imagine most Arcade players will not be big users of DirectSail, so having the current situation in use there should be fine.
But on Realistic, it would be good if DirectSail uses a scale that is sufficient to not cause silly bugs like on the "too low Arcade scale".

I haven't even looked at Arcade! I got New Horizons to sail, and as realistically as it's done in the game. But given that there are only two map graphics, Arcade must be using the same one as Realistic. I guess you're saying that a scale with slightly smaller islands is appropriate for Realistic, but not necessarily for Arcade. If so, I agree.

Gawd, I hate the world map. But I know some people will prefer to use it, if only to hunt ships to attack. Of course it makes sailing easier.

Hook

I haven't even looked at Arcade! I got New Horizons to sail, and as realistically as it's done in the game. But given that there are only two map graphics, Arcade must be using the same one as Realistic.
Exactly true. Only Iron Man Mode is different by default.

I guess you're saying that a scale with slightly smaller islands is appropriate for Realistic, but not necessarily for Arcade. If so, I agree.
Yep. So current Arcade/Realistic map for Arcade only. Current Open Sea Map for Iron Man Mode.
Plus a third intermediate for Realistic which serves as Build Default.

I'm changing my vote again, from Iron Man back to Realistic.

I found myself at Bonaire not wanting to sail anywhere, and not having any good reason. It just takes too long to sail to another island in Iron Man. I can do long trips in a flight simulator because of the navigation (I like to do 10 minute hops using pure dead reckoning and a real world map) and there's always lots of stuff to look at, but there's not that much to do between islands with Iron Man.

The shortest Iron Man trip you can take is from Aruba to Curacao, and that one was around 25 minutes at 15 knots. It would typically be twice that at normal speeds.

So now I'm back to Realistic sailing and testing an intermediate map scale, 1.5 times the distances on the normal map. Along the way I'm updating the island positions for the map I made in that scale, and doing some trading when the prices are right. I have a reason to sail to every island on the map. And I'm enjoying it.

I guess if I were willing to use time compression, Iron Man wouldn't be a problem. I just don't like doing that. I think in 4000 hours of flight simulation I used time compression on only one fight, where I had to transport a plane from Alaska to Texas, and there was no good reason to actually fly the trip at 130 knots. I just needed the plane in a different location, and the external software I was using didn't allow teleporting.

<sigh>

Hook

Maybe you should be able to use Iron Man Mode without the Open Sea Mod then.
In that case you could still use all the other features.

Or perhaps increase the amount of DirectSail encounters along the way.
At least then there would be more to do.

Not all of the features of Iron Man are benefits in all circumstances. Try leaving Charlestown on Nevis. The locator points you in the wrong direction, and the inlet you're in is too narrow to turn the ship. Turnabout is the only way to get out in any reasonable time. There are a few ports like that.

I'd rather have the perks available and not use them, than to need them and not have them. If people want to make perks less available, put a price on using them. In experience points. I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, however. :)

Iron Man has plenty of encounters...They're more frequent than in normal mode. Part of the normal mode problem is that you spend a lot of time close to an island transition and this disables a lot of encounters, not to mention that the code is working oddly. I was able to give more encounter time in the new directsail code, but I didn't look at the actual encounter generation yet. It works "well enough", although I have some ideas for tweaks, one of which will eliminate the island radius for good.

Sailing gives you plenty of time to think.

Hook

Been a while since this thread is online and only 12Votes. Guess that makes me the unlucky 13?

Here I am; playing around with some settings to improve my Open World RPG feeling, I currently use "realistic mode" and edited the InternalSettings.h!
Lines 23-29: 1, Line 30: 3, Line 32,36 &37: 1!
Only one does not respond as I hoped: Line 78 - Autohirecrew - want to stop that, I decide if or when I hire the crew!

Sailing this way, I decided to berth my 82cannons Pinnace of War on shore and continued on my previous ship - Corsair Frigate, cause the speed and upwind sailing performance. Before that I repaired the ships and I had a full crew again, just to fire them, tataa!

I kept the ability to use world map but don’t; I sail onboard with 3x-5x timescale (3person is also fine when FF). takes your time but also gives a nice feeling for the "tribute to slowness" (is that even a word?); these are no Race Cars, no WW2 Cruisers, or phantasie Steampunk Adventure technologies.

In SGW(Sniper) I say to the new players; "the chase is better than the catch" - here you hunt all night till you come up close enough (reminds me of Master and Commander), great realism. Maybe I find some more in future, but now im happy.

Bye

Only one does not respond as I hoped: Line 78 - Autohirecrew - want to stop that, I decide if or when I hire the crew!
Is that the one that automatically hires crew when you repair your ship?

Is that the one that automatically hires crew when you repair your ship?

Yes, exactly! after repairing i always have full crew, when berthing i reduce to min crew ('cause articles), but had to fire all hired, not a money problem, just a lil anoing.

#define AUTOHIRECREW_ONCHANGESHIP 0 // BOOL - Automatically hire extra crew when repairing your ship or buying a new one at shipyard

I changed the value from 0 to 1 and back, could not register any changing.

Also, still searching your forum for solution, when i reload a save game or continue next day, sometimes my captured ships open fire at eachother, or stay where they are (not following).
I leave them ATM, and sail alone to next habor!

#define AUTOHIRECREW_ONCHANGESHIP 0 // BOOL - Automatically hire extra crew when repairing your ship or buying a new one at shipyard

I changed the value from 0 to 1 and back, could not register any changing.
Have to admit, I can't remember ever using that. Only suggestion I could give is to search the PROGRAM folder for the name of that variable to see where it is used.

Also, still searching your forum for solution, when i reload a save game or continue next day, sometimes my captured ships open fire at eachother, or stay where they are (not following).
I leave them ATM, and sail alone to next habor!
Which exact modpack version are you running?

Which exact modpack version are you running?[/QUOTE said:
The mainscreen tells me this: Build 14 beta 3.3: 19 jan 2015 ---- but i'll ad the txt, that sayes 3.4!

Attachments

• Build Info.txt
    138.9 KB · Views: 166
@DAT66: That probably explains it. I spent a lot of time and effort to fix that whole "Sea AI relations" zaniness, but your version is pretty ancient...

@DAT66: That probably explains it. I spent a lot of time and effort to fix that whole "Sea AI relations" zaniness, but your version is pretty ancient...

Yes, we already had this conversation. On my old PC with OS XP3 the latest updates dont work, this post was mentioned there. Build 14 4.1 7 Jan 2017 on XP machine? | PiratesAhoy!
Not a big deal, im used to modded games that bug more! This mod has a quality that i can ignore that, and playing a year now with it, thats all i could find!
Good Work! Thanks for trying, im fine. bye

Back