• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is anyone working on M&C?

frigate1805

Powder Monkey
Just a question, is anyone working on the master and commander storyline? I love both the movie and the books and i would love to fight the Acheron with the surprise or take the Cacafuego with the Sophie.Theres so much material that could be used to create a Aubrey/Maturin quest! There are 20 books and one unfinished one along with the movie.I think it would be very interesting and fun if there could be a caribbean adaption of the series, like starting out in port as a lieutenant, broke and with nothing and then be promoted to commander of the Sophie and maybe recreate the scene where jack aubrey and stephen maturin first meet while having an argument at the concert.And just about anyone who's seen the movie wishes there was a sequel, wouldn't it be cool if that could be created in new horizons?I've heard some people suggest the battle of trafalgar for a movie sequel before since it would've took place only months after the movie .I have no idea how to do it myself and i'm probably askiing waaay to much but if anyone else is willing to I'd appreciate it! :D

There was some discussion about it a few months ago, but nothing ever happened. There is tons of enthusiasm for the idea in this forum, though.

Some people have tried to make a start on occasion, but they seem to have left for various reasons.
The trouble is, although we have the enthusiasm and even some of the resources (Jack Aubrey, a HMS Surprise model and an Acheron look-alike), we don't have people with the time and experience to put together a decent storyline incorporating all our ideas.

Very true. It's one of those things we'd like to do, but just doesn't seem to be taking off.

I for one would be glad if one could start out with less of a head start... 1777 Jack was probably a midshipman, but having him as Master & Commander with a small sloop-of-war (the Sophie please!) would be just perfect.

Moving the story to 1777 would be impossible because of the events in them, unless you made prequels where jack is a midshipman and lieutenant, which would be very difficult to do and keep everyone happy. I think the reasons it hasn't happened are
1) the people with the right skills aren't active or are uninterested in m&c
2) The people who are interested ( like myself) don't have all the right skills to make it happen
3) The focus of major work is shifting to Hearts of Oak. This is good for the long term, but means projects like this suffer.
I personally doubt an M&C storyline will be made for POTC... But that doesn't mean one wont be made for HoO! There is a ton of interest in it, and the new game should give is the potential to do a much better job of it than we could in Potc. I haven't built anything for Aubrey's ships yet, but I have done research. This site has plans for Aubrey's ships ( some of which we have models of that just need updating for HoO) http://www.ctbasses.com/misc/BruceTrinque/
The only one I disagree with is th Amphion as the Diane. The Amphion was a very British design, while the Diane was of course French. The French never built any 18pdr 32 gun frigates, so there is no perfect design for the Diane. After searching through the leading works on British and French frigates of the period, and the british national maritime museum online plan collection, the best match I can find is l'embuscade of 1789(as she appeared in 1800 after 2 years of British service) A large, modern looking 12pdr 32, she was only a couple feet shorter than the Amphion, and might need only minor scaling up to account for the additional weight of 18pdrs, if any at all. http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82298.html

Back