• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is it possible to sail from one island to another without the map?

Horthal

Landlubber
I'm just curious if it would be possible to sail from one map to another, so. You leave from Redmond and start sailing to Oxbay for example but you don't use the map and simply sail. I don't have the patience to try but maybe someone else has tried already.

I do it all the time, but I use the mod and not the stock game. The stock game is strictly an arcade game and the map is needed to get from one island to the next one. With the mod it is possible to sail from Havana to Sao Jorge using direct sail. Using the open Sea mod it can take more than a month in game time to accomplish that.

I'm just curious if it would be possible to sail from one map to another, so. You leave from Redmond and start sailing to Oxbay for example but you don't use the map and simply sail. I don't have the patience to try but maybe someone else has tried already.
With Build 14, yes you can.

Older topic, but I felt like answering.

Yes, you can very much sail from one island to the next without the map in the stock game, I did it countless times as a kid before I even discovered how to navigate on the worldmap!

The thing is, if you're near an island your movement in 3D mode affects your position on the worldmap. Logical, if you're sailing from one side of the island to the other and then switch to the worldmap, you're on the other side.

But in the open sea, I remember sailing around in 3D mode didn't change your position on the worldmap.

So what I used to do: Aiming for the second island when still in reach of the first (using the worldmap to check my direction, but not to move because I didn't know how to), waiting 20 to 30 minutes in 3D mode and then go back to the worldmap. I either got so far away from my island, I was in reach of the next, or I wasn't due to bad aiming or not enough waiting. In the latter case, I needed to start from the beginning.

Yes, that's how I moved around as a kid. And yes, I didn't learn how to navigate on the worldmap before reaching all islands. And yes, it took me a long time to even discover this way of travelling, so yes, I spent very much time on Oxbay only.

Back