• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is Maya for newbies??

Sofus

Landlubber
im thinking of downloading the free version of Maya in order to learn a little 3d programming.
im thinking on trying to reconstruct the danish Steam Frigate "Jylland".
is Maya hard to use??... anything that would be good to look into before i begin??... anywhere where i can find blueprints or such for diferent historic ships??... otherwise i would have to go document the ship myself at its dock in frederikshavn naval base :p

My advice would be to learn as you go, theres no way ull learn without actually tryin it out, so download it, have a play around for a while and if u runinto any problems im sure someone here will help.

I have been using Maya for less than a month and I am having a lot of fun. The available tutorials leave much to be desired, but due to the ease of the interface the learning curve is MUCH more comfortable than 3ds Max.

LOL Kazaa....Its funny, all my stuff comes from my "Supplier" LOL well, my Super Editing stuff anyway, I woodnt pay 1,000$ for Adobe Essentials 7.0 :cheers

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sofus`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sofus)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i found it at there own webpage[/quote]well can you give me a link to it :mrgreen:

<!--`QuoteBegin-CatalinaThePirate`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CatalinaThePirate)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Vassal -  http://www.alias.com/eng/`products-ser...aya/index.shtml

Finding the PLE (personal learning edition) (the free one) of Maya 4.5 may be difficult as there is a newer version on Alias Wavefront's website...[/quote]

ok.... any idea on where to find that one??... i would really hate making a 30 gun frigate and never be able to sail it :yes

Well, Kaaza might be a place you could find it -

http://www.kaaza.com/

<disclaimer> JUST BE CAREFUL to remain inside the law when using this service... !!! </disclaimer> :d:

I can't seem to find it elsewhere - something you might try is looking in your local bookstore at computer books, there's an instruction book out that has the 4.5 PLE disks included free.

If you find it somewhere to download, be advised, it's about 133MB. :yes :shock:

well... with a 45 Mbit connection it shouldn't take that long :yes

downloaded the maya5 PLE in 86 seconds

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sofus`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sofus)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->well... with a 45 Mbit connection it shouldn't take that long :shock:

downloaded the maya5 PLE in 86 seconds[/quote] :yes I need ta get me one a dem! :d:

The PLE (Personal Learning Edition) of Maya is free - with the stipulation that it *is* considered a learning edition of the program and should not be used for commercial purposes. There is also a "watermark" of sorts that is put on the textures, but I think that can be bypassed by not using textures generated by Maya but using another image editing software to paint your "skins"...

If you're asking about Kaaza, you have to register, but it's free. :rolleyes: xD:

Back