• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jack Sparrow Quest - 2 Becketts?

Talisman

Smuggler
Storm Modder
In the Jack Sparrow storyline - in the monk_dialog.h file there is some dialogue that appears to show there are 2 Becketts:-

:woot

"What a suprise! What a suprise! If it isn't Captain ",
"I know that voice! Lord Beckett... it is you isn't it?",
"Keep your voice down. Too many ears around this place. Sit down, sit down and we will talk.",
"Alright, but you owe me an explanation I think. Who are you? I have met the real Lord Beckett, and in the Governors residence so?...",
"Yes it is. But I am having a great problem with knowing who you are.",
"Firstly, I am Lord Beckett, or one of them... Lord Cuthbert Ulysses Beckett.",
"Cuthbert! You said your name was Cutler!",
"That is my brother, Lord Cutler Oswald Beckett.",
"This is going awfully slowly, M'lord... I suppose I should call you that again... What's going on here?",
"Alright, alright Captain ",
", I owe you that much. My brother and I are the younger twin sons of the Duke of Middlesex. Our elder brother will inherit the Ducal title so my brother and I each sought our fortune in commerce.",
"There's more of you! I'm not sure we should continue this conversation.",
"Patience, patience my dear fellow. It is only Culter and I in these waters. We both worked for the Honarable East India Company and things went well till we heard a story about the Chest of Cortez. It turned my brothers head and he is hell bent on finding it.",
"What's wrong with that. A spot of treasure hunting is what we are all about surely?",
"It has become all consuming with him, to the point where he will remove anyone who he thinks might be getting close to it before him... including me. And I am getting close with some of the information I have found.",
"You mean the documents I have been getting for you, don't you? They have something to do with it, don't they?",
"You are very smart Captain, which by the way, is why I chose you in the first place. I involved you to try to thwart my brothers plans, and yes, the documents are parts of a map to the treasure. When complete the location is revealed.",
"And there are four parts... right M'lord?",
"As sharp as ever Captain. Yes, four parts. I believe you have one part and I have another so we are half way there. I shall give you my part, here it is, I believe my brother's men are on my trail, hence the disguise, so it is not safe with me. You can return them both to me when we meet again. Keep them safe.",
"Meet again, M'lord, and where and when will that be?",
"Don't worry, I will find you. I am sure you have other things you need to be doing. So I will bid you goodbye for the moment Captain, I am expecting someone to meet me here. Keep the documents safe. In the meantime I will resume my disguise.",
"Er... Yes, M'lord... Goodbye for the moment.",
"That's better, we can see anyone approaching now.",
"That's as may be, but I still need that explanation.",
"We meet again M'lord. Your voice is becoming quite familiar. What are you doing on this island?",
"I came to collect some idols, but I believe you beat me to it. So I thought I'd sit here and see who came and went.",
"Ah ! Your Lorship's intelligence is as up to date as ever.",
"Indeed, indeed. But to the point. It is time to prove our mutual trust. I know my brother sent you to get the idols, and I need to spoil his plans. So, Captain, let me look at the cargo of idols, I just need to know what's there before he does and that will take the wind out of his sails.",
"I don't know M'lord. That sounds awfully risky... for me.",
"How so? How so? He will never know someone just 'looked' at them. I just have a feeling that one of the boxes is empty, and I want to be sure.",
"Very well M'lord, I will trust you. Take a look.",
"Thankyou Captain. Thankyou. This will indeed alter his plans. Take this money to cover your inconvenience. You should go now, but have no fear we shall meet again.",
"I'm sure we will M'lord. I'm sure we will.",

Does this mean there is another Beckett somewhere - or is this just redundant dialogue?

:razz

Before we ever had the Select Storylines mod, we already wanted to make a Jack Sparrow storyline.
However, the idea at that time was to take the Standard storyline and add various movie tie-ins to it.
You would meet Beckett in the Oxbay tavern during the tutorial and if you'd join him,
you'd play with the Jack Sparrow influences enabled, but if you'd deny him, the Standard storyline would progress as usual.

Short Jack Gold did the work on this and it was working quite nicely.
Amongst others, this story version involved Jack Sparrow basically doing the Standard storyline still,
but with some additional stuff added in, including Norrington who joins the resistance in Oxbay
(it was still Oxbay back then) and, as you found, some deliberate confusion between two Cutler Becketts.

When the Storylines mod was introduced, Short Jack Gold split the Jack Sparrow stuff to its own storyline.
This also meant that Jack Sparrow influences on the Standard storyline had to be removed again.
For quite some while, this caused some seriously odd bugs, but we got them sorted in the end.
But still there's traces of this past in various files in the Jack Sparrow storyline folder. :yes

Back