• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Jack Sparrow Story - Boarding & Treasure Quest

Just confirming: I've copied the files from "simplified crew fires pistols" into place and my crew are now blazing away merrily. Thanks, Jack Rackham! :onya

Cool beans, @Jack Rackham! :cheers

On the "disappearing officers", does anyone have any indication on when and how that happens?
Without further details, that one is very difficult to track down. Alternatively, how would we be able to replicate that bug?

As far as I know, having more than eight officers in the passenger list resulting in vanishing officers has been an issue in the stock game already. The best way to work around it is by avoiding having a crowded passenger list. By the time one has eight guys in the passenger list, he or she will probably have several ships anyway. Just distribute them properly and you should be fine.

Not so. The maximum limit is 36, including officers, prisoners and yourself. That dates back at least to Build 13. When you hit that limit you can't take any more prisoners; if an enemy captain surrenders, you don't get the options which can lead to him being locked in the brig, you can only either release him or kill him and his crew.

I've seen the disappearing officers bug once while I was playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" under Beta 3. And even then, it stopped happening after a while and I was able to hire another officer without an older one disappearing. I've no idea why it started or why it stopped.

I am quite sure that I always had this issue in the unmodded stock game.

Edit: Yip, my memory did not betray me. Here is an excerpt from an online guide for the original game, which addresses the issue.

"2. Lost and Duplicate Officers
Several situations result in permanent disappearance of officers on your
passenger list:

- You hire (or acquire in a quest) more than eight (8) officers on your ship.
The officer that occupied the eighth portrait at the top of the Passenger
display will go bye-bye, forever.

- You sell a ship or use the "Change Captain" function on the Shipyard display
when there are officers on the ship in addition to the Captain.

- You place an officer in addition to the Captain on a second, third or fourth
ship that you've acquired, and then hire a new officer. Regardless of how many
officers you have on any ship, hiring a new officer will make ALL of the
officers (that aren't Captains) on your additional ship(s) disappear. Had the
feeling somebody is missing? Now you know why."

Last edited:
Interesting. Not sure if that number was changed for the PotC Build Mod; the number IS 36 when you check in the code. :shock

I have had more than 8 officers without any of them disappearing. Probably not in the stock game, for the simple reason that officers weren't as useful then. Even with Melee 10 plus good swords and armour, they tended to die easily in combat, and they didn't have the useful abilities that officers do in the Build Mod. So I'd have had three to put in charge of captured ships (I never put additional officers onto a captured ship and still don't) plus one who got trained in all the commercial and gunnery skills and perks.

But last time I played "Tales of a Sea Hawk", at which time I had Build 14 Beta 3, I had a lot more than 8 officers! And I never even heard of the disappearing officers problem at the time I was playing Build 13, when I also had far more than 8. Put it like this - I didn't find that upper limit of 36 by looking through the code. ;)

I am willing to believe that some sort of "disappearing officers" problem exists. But we need more details on when and how it happens.
Otherwise we're looking for a needle in a haystack in the dark. :facepalm

As I said before, with the story line 'Legend of Jack Sparrow - Hoist the Colours' I had faced disappearing officers problem twice. Two of my officer is disappear, but it stopped after Mr. Gibbs on board on ship(as per story). After that I can hair officer without problem.

That's bizarre. How can Mr. Gibbs have anything to do with it?

If it happens before, try to keep an eye on exactly when it happens and if there might be anything "special" about that case.

Ok, I will keep my eye open.
I said that coz if I haired 36 officers before Mr. Gibbs on board(in one ship), then maybe he would not managed to on board. Maybe it is for place reservation for him. Just my thinking. Have not played other story line in b14. So will keep my eye open.

Mr. Gibbs is just a randomly generated officer whose name is changed to Mr. Gibbs. He is no different from any of the others.

Back