• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Jack Sparrow Storyline: Rewrite "Hylie Pistof" Tavern Owner Dialog

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
To prevent interference with the Fred Bob sidequest, we decided to rename the tavern owner version into "Hylie Pistof" instead.
That worked to fix the quest problems, but he still has a very Fred Bob-ey dialog.

So would anyone be willing to change purely the dialog text to make him more "grumpy" to match with his new name?
Just for fun! :cheeky

While not technically crucial for the Beta 4 public release, I WOULD like to see this done.
It is ridiculously easy as it requires ZERO coding. In other words: Anyone who can write English can do it.

The only file that needs to be edited is PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow\dialogs\ENGLISH\Hylie Pistof_dialog.h which is a simple Notepad file.
What needs to be done is to change the text to sound less piratey and more grumpy (pissed off, I should say! :razz ).

Who might be up to the challenge? @TechnicJelle? @Mirsaneli, perhaps?
Or maybe even the real @Hylie Pistof himself?

While not technically crucial for the Beta 4 public release, I WOULD like to see this done.
It is ridiculously easy as it requires ZERO coding. In other words: Anyone who can write English can do it.

The only file that needs to be edited is PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow\dialogs\ENGLISH\Hylie Pistof_dialog.h which is a simple Notepad file.
What needs to be done is to change the text to sound less piratey and more grumpy (pissed off, I should say! :razz ).

Who might be up to the challenge? @TechnicJelle? @Mirsaneli, perhaps?
Or maybe even the real @Hylie Pistof himself?

Mirsaneli is always in good mood for easy tasks :D I could do it, but please, give me some details :D

I thought about trying it but came up blank. All I can think of is "Pick yer poison. Ale, wine, or rum."

So naturally I suddenly come up with an idea. "Leave the serving wench alone. The working girls are....wherever the brothel is."

Could something like a blunderbuss be set somewhere in sight behind the bar? In one game I play there is this seedy run down bar with a not too talkative bartender. If you wander around to the end of the bar like you are going back there he reaches under the bar and pulls out a sawed off shotgun. When you back off he puts it back under the bar.

Could something like a blunderbuss be set somewhere in sight behind the bar? In one game I play there is this seedy run down bar with a not too talkative bartender. If you wander around to the end of the bar like you are going back there he reaches under the bar and pulls out a sawed off shotgun. When you back off he puts it back under the bar.
Maybe @Jack Rackham could do that. Sounds like something right up his alley.
And he did a complete replacement of Turks already, so..... here's to hoping.... :rolleyes:

Mirsaneli is always in good mood for easy tasks :D I could do it, but please, give me some details :D
Here's the background: At some point during the Jack Sparrow storyline when you follow the Mings path, various PiratesAhoy! modders take over the island of Turks.
Fred Bob used to be the one taking up the bartender position.
If you recall from his sidequest, he has a rather special way of talking and his bartender dialog was written to match,

However, now that the sidequest is available in ALL storylines, there ended up being TWO Fred Bobs, which isn't very good.
So we replaced him with "Hylie Pistof" instead. But he's still got his Fred Bob-ey dialog, which no longer matches with his character.

My request is therefore to make him nicely grumpy and short-tempered and such. Could be fun!
The real Hylie already gave some thoughts above that you could put to use. :doff

I though Hylie's suggestion was accepted? If not, I could do it.
The whole dialog file needs to be rewritten. Hylie just suggested two lines that you could use.

And there is a request to @Jack Rackham to mount a blunderbuss somewhere behind the counter.

I can do the blunderbuss + enable acess to behind the counter. Which location are we talking about.

I can do the blunderbuss + enable acess to behind the counter. Which location are we talking about.
Turks Tavern.
I think access behind the counter isn't needed. The only request is: "Could something like a blunderbuss be set somewhere in sight behind the bar?"

Yes. But it will be there all the time - also when the bartender equips it.
Otherwise I have to make a "reloadtolocation" to make it unvisible for a while.

Yes. But it will be there all the time - also when the bartender equips it.
Otherwise I have to make a "reloadtolocation" to make it unvisible for a while.
Simplest solution: DON'T allow access behind the bar and DON'T personally give him a weapon.
Just have it visible, hanging somewhere on the wall in the back.
Ideally have it put there ONLY when Hylie Pistof takes over the bar, so it isn't a "default Turks thing".

Since it is just a little in-joke, it seems hardly worth it to make it fully functional. Does it? :shrug

It's mediumtavern wich always have access behind the bar anyway.
I have placed it and it can't be picked up. Ok?

Attachments

• musketoon.jpg
    musketoon.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 188
Cool!

Is that what you had in mind, @Hylie Pistof?
Or should it be visible from the other side of the counter and be mounted on the wall somewhere?

I didn't know you could move behind the bar to even see it, so I suggested putting it some place visible.

It could be set so the bartender can equip it? In what situations? Like when a brawl erupts? Can the bartender use it too?

It could be set so the bartender can equip it? In what situations? Like when a brawl erupts? Can the bartender use it too?
Theoretically possible, but having it be at the counter UNTIL the bartender grabs it may be relatively complicated.
Especially putting it back afterwards. Weapons are usually carried by the character using them and not stored somewhere else. :facepalm

Yes the problem is we need a reloadtolocation if the musket should be taken down from the wall and another one to put it back again.

I thought the bartender was going to equip a similar weapon at some point. By placing it where I did was just to "explain" where he got that gun from. If it's placed more visible it gets strange when he equips it. :shrug

I'm open to any changes I can do.

My suggestion would be: visible behind the counter so it stands out as much as possible.
And don't worry about giving the bartender anything to equip. :shrug

Here's another alternative then. And a guy in Turks tavern without a dialog.

Attachments

• musketoon.jpg
    musketoon.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 187
  • no dialog.jpg
    no dialog.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 204
Back