• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

JRH quest

Levis just pointed me in the right direction for disabling the "GunFighter" perk more sensibly.
Now it is technically always there, but only shows in your intended storyline. So no more weird effects on starting multiple new games.

Also, I think I figured out how to disable the "loading screen tips" during your storyline.
However, I still have to do some more work on that because I seem to have broken that system altogether.
No clue why though. :facepalm

Sounds good Pieter except the brakedown. :onya
I am still working on the Goldbug, the Gunpowder production in Chinatown has taken months!! :boom:

Ouch. I'm sure it'll be worth it though! :cheers

Sounds good Pieter except the brakedown. :onya
I don't even know why it stopped working. When I restored the code to what it was before, it still didn't work.
Must be something else. Will figure it out.

Well, it doesn't work 100% right, but it is close enough:
No loading screen tips if you start a new game on Woodes Rogers or load a Woodes Rogers savegame straight away when starting the game.
However, if you already saw a loading screen tip in another storyline, you'll also get them in Woodes Rogers if you load such a save without first closing the game.
That probably won't be happening much though. It's an improvement at least. :cheers

That sounds good enough. :doff Maybe this could be applied to the Goldbug too?
And I can always turn them off manually if my blood pressure gets too high. :wp

About the Gunfighter perk, it's needed for the Goldbug too. Revolver with 6 shots. :guns:

Both done, easy-peasy. Added these two lines to the storyline definition file:
Code:
  AddStorylineVar(n, "DISABLE_TIPS", "1");     // PB: No tips during reloads
   AddStorylineVar(n, "GUNFIGHTER_PERK", "1");     // PB: Gun Fighter perk enabled for 6-shot pistols
Will include the other necessary code changes in the next update I post. :doff

I gave the special perk a cost of 1 point (default) so its still the same.
I could add a
enable.storyline = name
value to certain perks so they are only enabled for specific storylines.
Or I could add a enabled value all together and for this one it would be false on default. You can then enable it in code (i believe). so it would become visible.
This way even a specific event could enable you to be able to use a perk.

Actually I very much like that idea, it would also allow you for example to not be able to learn higher perks yet before you found for example a book which enables them.

I gave the special perk a cost of 1 point (default) so its still the same.
Jack's storylines are written to be VERY linear. Skill progression is also set up very specifically.
I think the player gets new skills and perks automatically through the storyline, so then the cost of the perks should make no difference.
But I never got round to playing this storyline very far, so I'd like to be sure on that....

I could add a
enable.storyline = name
value to certain perks so they are only enabled for specific storylines.
Would you be able to check it against this storyline variable?
Code:
AddStorylineVar(n, "GUNFIGHTER_PERK", "1");     // PB: Gun Fighter perk enabled for 6-shot pistols
That way, if it needs to be enabled in other storylines, we don't need to edit any additional files.

Or I could add a enabled value all together and for this one it would be false on default. You can then enable it in code (i believe). so it would become visible.
This way even a specific event could enable you to be able to use a perk.

Actually I very much like that idea, it would also allow you for example to not be able to learn higher perks yet before you found for example a book which enables them.
That's definitely an interesting idea! :onya

I would just be able to give a storyline name to the attribute and check it with currentstoryline so you wouldn't need the variable anymore then.

I prefer using those storyline variables. Otherwise perks_init.c has to be updated if another storyline is added that uses it too.
How about something like:
Code:
ChrPerksList.list.GunFighter.enable.variable = "GUNFIGHTER_PERK";

I think the player gets new skills and perks automatically through the storyline,
Yes, as a reward. At that moment there's a check if the player already has got those perks or not.
I'm not sure how the new system with points works.

Are the changes included in b14_beta3_installer.exe or should I use b14_beta3_installer4.exe

Last edited:
Nothing is changed in that system so it shouldn't affect this.
They are not yet included.

Yes, as a reward. At that moment there's a check if the player already has got those perks or not.
I'm not sure how the new system with points works.
In that case, I don't think there will be a problem. Thanks for confirming. :doff

Are the changes included in b14_beta3_installer.exe or should I use b14_beta3_installer4.exe
See here for the latest installer: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686

It doesn't include Levis' work on the perks yet though, but of course it'll be replaced some time soon.

Wow, does that mean there is now a playable extension to the Woodes Rogers quest? :shock :woot

Back