• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Just when we thought Akella wasn't producing anymore...

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
Well I am flabbergasted to bring you an amazing announcement. Akella in conjunction with Blackmark Studio http://www.blackmark.bz/ who I've never heard of before, has released an updated and extended version of COAS apparently in English. I can't find any kind of press release and no information on a release date but they are promoting it on a site called http://piratesodyssey.com/index.cho.html . The new game is called COAS: To Each his Own.

The videos are mostly a rehash of things we've all seen before, but there are some obvious new locations and some new ships showcased. One location bears a keen similarity to one of the POTC towns not in COAS. The video says that there are 20 new ships models, 9 new ship types, and 7 new unique ships. It also appears that there is fighting below decks again like in POTC.

I have many many questions as I'm certain we all do. Among the top ones are....how many people right here in our own back pond, already knew about this and were working on the game? How much of our mod content will be found in the new game? Did our very recent dynamic and popular discussion of developing our OWN video game help to instigate this sudden announcement?

This is good news and I know everyone has to be as happy as I am about this.....I just wish they hadn't left us hanging so long without a clue. Regardless I do not think the new offering will keep us from developing the vastly expanded new kinds of capabilities we conceptualized in our new game proposal. MK

Interesting find MK, I hadn't really been paying much attention to the Russian sites lately, but after seing your news post, I did a bit of digging. This appears to be new and extensive mod for CoAS by Blackmark Studio, which I am not familiar with at all, but I would bet has it's roots with Seaward. Although that is just pure speculation on my part.You can find the Russian version of their forums HERE. I used Google translate just to poke around a bit, but didn't really have time to dig in to it.

I also had a look at http://piratesodyssey.com/, which lists two mods, Pirates Odyssey and CoAS Gold wich is done by Seaward. I really don't think Akella it's self is actually developing anything pirate related at the moment. Akella mentions absolutely nothing about about the two on there English version site. I had a look at the Russian language version, but didn't dig through it very far. I did however notice that they are advertising Assassins Creed and Risen 2, which probably means they are distributing both in Russia, but again, just speculation on my part.

I do know for a fact that we were not the only ones to receive the Storm 2 source code, my bet is that is what this is. I would bet money that the other video you found a while back was an offshoot of that as well, and probably related to one of these two.

[/quote] I really don't think Akella it's self is actually developing anything pirate related at the moment. Akella mentions absolutely nothing about about the two on there English version site. [/quote]

I made the assumption because the Akella logo is prominently displayed in the videos. I also do not think these are just mods. The COAS: Gold may be nothing more than improvements that could cause it to be called a mod, but the Pirates Odyssey: To Each his Own looks to be a new game with all the Corsair 4 content we had all seen. Based on the fact that the video is clearly a promotional and in English, I think we are looking at the beginnings of an advertizing campaign for a brand new video game that will be sold in stores. I would bet on it.

Would our lurking Russian friends please tell us what's going on..... MK

Well this is unexpected! Nice to see the Storm Engine has yet to see its last days.
Two things that stood out to me: they have different flags (like in the Build Mod- flags/pennants) and their own movie-accurate Flying Dutchman. o_O
Shame they still have that ugly 'manowar', though.

Wonderful. The spankers still don't work right. It looks like all the old mistakes are still there.

If we wanted to go ahead and develop a game, I think we could still do a much better job in the department of realism.

Wow, nice find MK! I imagine that Akella are proving the engine and publishing it in Russia. I'm pretty sure that they did away with their developing team (ie. they could be BlackMark). If all goes well this could be a great shot in the arm for us here and I can finally start playing a pirate game again.

I do hope they have fixed the controls and navigation. I'm too used to the fluid movements of FPS to go back :(

Yeah, that Akella logo grabbed my attention too mate. I didn't see anything from Corsairs 4 in the video, C4 was using Gambryo, everything I saw in the video was all definitely Storm 2+. I am sure this has something to do with Akella giving them the source code, when I get a chance I will go through their forums with a fine tooth comb. I did notice however that they also "borrowed" the idea of artillery pieces from us as well. have a look about 47 seconds in.

Seaward will be broke, so the story goes. The Black Mark Studio has always been committed to Pirates of Akella Games 3D textures and complex constructions developed.
Please think of the mod "GPK Tales Adventure 1.3". There are some New well at it. As far as I know, there was a redistribution of tasks, from Akella.

Indeed we do know BlackMark studios to some extent. They aren't the same from seaward.ru though. If I am not mistaken, there might even have been some competition between the two. I've also got a vague memory of member "ugeen" requesting access to the CoAS source code from us, which we were unable to give him. I think he is with BlackMark studios.

This does sound interesting. More English language content is always interesting, whether mod-wise or full game.

Yes, I'm from BlackMark Studio (BMS). Don't tell me please about release date, i dont know this - game completed about 75% (and not finally tested yet). We can find screenshots at our forum. Game used Storm 2.8 engine, added some locations, ships, all characters completely retextured. Storyline,side quests, soundtrack & char sounds almost completely new.

So this will be released in English as well, right? That sounds very good!

If you have any promotional material/screenshots, we would be very happy to post them on PiratesAhoy! to get people interested in your work too.

hmm this might be a crazy suggestion, ut why dont we make em use our modded COAS content and in exchange maybe get to be the closed beta testers of the game... just a brainstorm but since there`ll be a new COAS version the old mods will more or less be useless with it :p

There is some value to that idea. Any content of ours that they add into their game will be content that we do not need to add ourselves in subsequent modpacks. That would save us time and effort.

Looks like they're just building Pirates Odyssey with the same engine as CoaS and the predecessor. Would've liked to see them go with something that could support modern shaders and effects, because the video looks quite weak right now.

Still, for those of us who fancy a piratin', it's better than the void we're faced with right now.

Also, hello everyone. I disappeared for awhile because when I switched to windows 7 I lost a bunch of bookmarks including this one. Fortunately I was signed up for notifications and received the one about Akella's 'new' game.

Does anyone else really wish they'd add some kind of multiplayer co-op to a free-roaming pirate game? I think it would be fun if, instead of having AI captains you can recruit, simply go to a bar and find some roughnecks who will sail with you for some plunder and good old pirate comraderie. And please, don't bring up either of those horrible failure mmos (Pirates of the Caribbean or the Burning Sea)...those were just plain bad.

Man, the Storm 2 engine need to be put to rest. I am excited for Pirates Odyssey, but not excited to see how similar it looks and plays. Its cool to see some more powder weapons like that cannon on land and muskets though. Some multiplayer sea sailing and such would be a great addition as Veradin mentioned.

Agreed. Just like we need to move on to a modern engine, so do they. There is plenty of interest, but no modern package.

Back