• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Kaptein Sabeltann and the Lama Rama Treasure!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I'm not quite sure what to make of this one, but it's been slow news-wise the past few days. Last year, Walt Disney Nordic bought up the rights to Kaptein Sabeltann(Captain Sabertoooth), a Norwegian character featured in theatrical children's plays by writer and actor Terje Formoe. There was also an animated feature about the character. Disney has been filming a movie about Kaptein Sabeltann and his crew over the past year and from what I was able to find it is set to be released on October 3'rd in Norway.

The film is called Captain Sabertooth and the Lama Rama Treasure and is directed by Lisa Marie Gamlem. The story follows the captain on his ship Dark Lady with a young boy, Pinky, and his friend, Ravn, traveling from the pirate alleys in the port of Abra to the exotic Lama Rama. I'm not quite sure what to expect out of this one, from the trailer it at least looks competent. As most of you probably know though, I don't have much faith in Disney. At any rate, more pirates is always better, and this one is also scheduled to be released internationally. You can find out more info HERE!

Attachments

• Kaptein_Sabeltann.jpeg
    Kaptein_Sabeltann.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hehehe.... it is really strange to see an add for Kaptein Sabeltann here on the PiratesAhoy website.... :D Even though it is the right place for it :pirates

There is not a kid from the age of 1,5 years old and up to about 80 years of age who do not know at least ONE Kaptein Sabeltann song here in Norway.
If there is a kids costume party, chances are that the majority of the boys will be dressed as him, Pinky or Langemann... :p (And maybe the odd Spideman, Superman and Batman)

I think it is fun to see this has grown so much from the idea Terje Formoe had - But it will be strange (even for me) to see someone else play Kaptein Sabeltann other then Terje himself...
But to let you know for certain - this is not for the grown ups. It is a family film at the best. Most likely only for children.

I know a few of the actors as well - 2 or 3 of them have even been in my music videos here in Norway.

I like that is done even more professionally now - with Walt Disney Nordic backing it.
I just hope they do not ruin it... But knowing Terje - he would not stand for any big compromises

I just hope they will not try to be "Jack Sparrow" funny... Cause they would definitely NOT pull that off...

Although I would never compare the two - the Kaptein Sabeltann films and cartoons, and of course most of all - the live shows with ship battles and a huge open outdoor set at Kristiansand Zoo - has most children here now just as mesmerized as "The Goonies" had for many of us here back in the 80's. Only Kaptain Sabeltann (Terje Formoe) has been actively releasing new content/shows/films for over 24 years now I believe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information mate! In all my years of looking up stories for PA, I don't believe that I have ever heard of him before, but I may have missed a reference or two at some point. He definitely seems to be a very popular character in Norway!

Yeah, I figured it was mostly a kids movie, not that there is anything wrong with that! Disney used to have anhour long program here in the States that aired every week called The Wonderful World of Disney that ran from 1972-1979, and they had many shows about pirates and buried treasure. Just because a show is written for kids doesn't mean it has to be written down to children. I have re-watched a couple of those old episodes in recent years and they are still quite entertaining to me today.

I totally agree with you that a good show should definitely NOT write down to children. They are so much smarter than most screen writers give them credit for - But the TV stations are so afraid to give the kids something to think about or be curious about - hence why we have so much crap on the tellie for kids these days...

In such a manner I would say that Kaptein Sabeltann does appeal to a wide range of ages as it is well made and well-put together, and its live outdoor shows are very "musical'esque" Played out after dark for effect, and with good actors from the better theaters in the country. But it is really also this theatrical element that possibly lessens the experience to the more grown crowd, as it becomes a little over the top theatrical. But it has a good balance of humor and horror, with fantastic outdoor scenery, pyro show and the smell of freshly burnt gunpowder...
And it all works well for both grandma, and grandchildren :drunk

I for one have seen most of it through spending time with my three daughters over the years - and I have enjoyed most of it :doff
I am curious about the film though - and luckily my youngest daughter is still at an age where such tings are cool, so she's my alibi to go watch it when it is released :wp (shes 8 years now)
My two other daughters are 14 and 16 - and frankly.... nothing is quite cool enough for them these days.... as long as it is not accessible on a computer... :cool::p:D

They are following the HoO development with eagerness though...hehehe

Last edited:
This movie looks like a weird crossover between Peter Pan/Goonies/Cutthroat Island/Treasure Island and couple of other films. Definitely awkwardly "different". I don't even know how to classify this movie properly. Is it an attempt to revitalize the pirate movie genre from POTC? Is it an adaption of the play? Disney must be going for a tangent change.
I have not heard the name, "Kaptein Sabeltann" and the "Den Sorte Dame" from theatre in over two decades...I must be getting old.

Glad to hear your daughters are interested in HoO mate, sounds like you raised them properly! :pirates

I agree wholeheartedly mate! A lot of the time children’s shows are written with the express purpose of trying to sell something too, be it a toy or a philosophy. Personally, I am convinced that they don't want kids to think for themselves, so they try and do the thinking for them, instead of letting kids use their imaginations. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of parents out there that have absolutely no problem with that.

I have no children myself, but I have 17 nieces and nephews, and way more great nieces and nephews than I can count! I am curious about the story, maybe I can get one of them to sneak me into the theatre! I will probably just wait for the DVD though, I wouldn't want to embarrass them. :wp

TheBlackKnight, it's kind of tough to tell in that trailer just what direction they are going in, but I am pretty sure it is just intended to be a fun kids movie. This is Disney Nordic, hopefully they haven't caught the same corporate disease that Disney US has a chronic case of!

That looks quite curious indeed. They're definitely going for a PotC-vibe with that trailer, though it looks even more deliberately odd.

Is this film going to be in English as well? I'd quite like to see what they come up with. More pirates is never a bad thing anyway.
Even weird pirates can be entertaining! :cheers

I highly doubt it will be in English - unless it is dubbed by English people. No other Kaptein Sabeltann cartoon or movie is in English from what I know, but I might be mistaken on this part ;)

According to what I read, it will be released worldwide, but I am not sure whether that will be a theatrical world wide release, or if it will just be straight to DVD outside Norway. There should be a couple of other language tracks, I would bet on English, Spanish and French at least. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can find anything about it.

Even weird pirates can be entertaining! :cheers

The last three POTC movies sure proved that, at least judging by box office receipts. I'll refrain from reviewing them here. :wp

We'll just have to see.
Norwegian films tend not to be produced in different languages. Either it is filmed in Its whole in English - or it will be in Norwegian and dubbed and with foreign subtitles.

Last option is a mix - where the Norwegians speak Norwegian, and foreign actors speak English. But as this is first of all a Kids movie, I would gather it will all be in Norwegian, as I first said - as all clips show - or at least I have seen so far - have been in Norwegian.

We have no tradition of dubbing films what so ever here - except Disney movies....So since this is a Disney Nordic backed movie... Who knows..... :wp

If it becomes available with English (or Dutch) subtitles, that'll be fine by me as well.
It's just that my Norwegian isn't quite as excellent as I might wish.
(As in... my skill there is completely non-existent. ;) )

Back