• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Keen to Assist – Programming (CryEngine) and / or 2D 3D Modeling

Lodewijk

Sailor
Hearts of Oak Donator
Hallo fellow sailors

I have just spent several hours reading about the work you guys are doing on the “Hearts of Oak” development. I also watched a lot of the YouTube videos posted by Captain Murphy. I am a registered Civil Engineer and as such, the work being done with the CryEngine really fascinated me! Modeling the effects of buoyancy, wind force vectors, drag, dynamic damping etc. is absolutely fascinating! I could not stop reading and watching videos. I would so like to experiment with the physics engine of the CryEngine software.

Besides being and engineer, I also played A LOT of “Age of Pirates 2”, probably in excess of 1000 hours. I know how to sail an actual boat too.

I do not have any experience using the CryEngine SDK although I did study C++ and MatLab programming as part of my undergraduate studies. This was however quite a few years ago. I don’t know if I would be able to add value to the Programming group, but forces, resistances and vectors are my daily bread and butter.

The other area where I might be able to help is with 2D or 3D modeling. Again, I have not used 3ds Max before, but have modeled in Solid Works, AutoCad 3D and SketchUp. I am sure that I could learn to use one of the 3D programs you mentioned in the Recruitment Thread (3ds Max or Maya). One thing that I can do (once I know how to operate the software) is accurate modeling from drawings. I know how to loft a hull from a set of line drawings, for example.

If you think that my inputs could be of value, please let me know.

All the best

Your help would be most welcome! I'm sure @Captain Murphy will drop by soon as well. :cheers

Do you have any specific ideas of what you would like to do?

Hallo Pieter,

Well, if I could be of help in some way with physics related work on the programming side that would be great.

I am also willing to learn how to do 3D modeling in order to help create items such as swords, lanterns, furniture, pistols, buildings, maybe even ships (or assist on these)

Basically anything @Captain Murphy or @Post Captain and his team need at the moment. For now I will however need to get into some of the software required for the work first.

Oh, another thing I was thinking about... Are you looking at development of realistic dynamic weather? I'm sure you are! I would be very interested getting involved in that too.

Welcome! Go ahead and get a copy of the CryEngine SDK 3.5.8 and start learning some of the basics. You should be able to replicate most of my physics experiments in the engine just using objects that already exist in the asset sections until we can get the full shared asset path working this week (or month depending on our schedules). We are planning on dynamic weather, but it will be quite an undertaking since it has to be broken down into a lot of smaller components and then stitched back together in the code. If you are interested in it then you are welcome to dig into that part and we can find an artist that wants to work on the Time Of Day portion along side if the coding.

Hi Lodewijk, I've set you up as a Provisional programmer so you can access all our development forums.

Oh, another thing I was thinking about... Are you looking at development of realistic dynamic weather? I'm sure you are! I would be very interested getting involved in that too.
We definitely have some thoughts there and even already a preliminary brainstorming thread on our development forum.
My personal knowledge on that subject is more from a practical seafaring side,
so if you have an interest in it as well, you could most definitely contribute there! :cheers

Edit: You should be able to see the relevant thread now here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/weather-tracking.21371/

Hi guys,

I've downloaded CryEngine and Blender. I don't know how to use either of these programs. I've done some programming at university, mostly C++, matlab and Visual Basic. I've also done some 3D modeling, mostly technical, in Solid Works, AutoCad and Sketch Up. I'm sure I can get a bit of creative work done as well.

I'm willing to do programming or modeling (actually, whatever is neccesary to progress this project)

Which program do you guys think I should start learning? What will add the most value to this project? What areas are really important but under presented? I'm really willing to try whatever is needed here. I would appreciate some guidance from you guys , who know whats needed.

Please keep in mind that I need to learn, so preferably not too complicated for a start.

The most under-represented would be anything related to character modeling/animation. But that is probably not something "simple" to start with.

Actual engine development is always VERY important, so that is what seems very relevant to me.
@Captain Murphy should be able to tell you what kind of assistance would be the most useful right now.

The most under-represented would be anything related to character modeling/animation. But that is probably not something "simple" to start with.

Actual engine development is always VERY important, so that is what seems very relevant to me.
@Captain Murphy should be able to tell you what kind of assistance would be the most useful right now.

Well, I will continue to try and help where I can with any Physics related stuff. I have downloaded the Cry SDK, and have started reading and watching some tutorials. If there is any other small bits I can get my teeth into I would be very happy to do so.

By the way, I was thinking of emailing two guys regarding balistics. One is a researcher and the other writes articles and seems to know what he is talking about. I found both on the internet and don't know them. Do you have a policy, guidelines or preference on how people should be approached regarding the game, or can I just contact them to ask a bit of advice on technical issues?

By the way, I was thinking of emailing two guys regarding balistics. One is a researcher and the other writes articles and seems to know what he is talking about. I found both on the internet and don't know them. Do you have a policy, guidelines or preference on how people should be approached regarding the game, or can I just contact them to ask a bit of advice on technical issues?
No specific policy, no. I personally see no problem with it. Perhaps @Armada or @Captain Murphy have some thoughts on the matter?
Possibly post the message here before you send it. But I'm not sure if that is quite necessary. :shrug

Do you have a policy, guidelines or preference on how people should be approached regarding the game, or can I just contact them to ask a bit of advice on technical issues?
I wouldn't do anything too formal; just let them know you're involved with this project and seeking some advice.

Thats good. I will ask then. I mean, they can basically do one of three things: they can help, not help or not reply. Either way we don't loose anything. Nothing wrong with a courteous question, is there?

:doff

He, no. They will probably either be flattered that someone is interested in their work, or upset that it is just gamers and not "serious" people.

Back