• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Killing NPCs (in houses)

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Hey there!

I've finally gotten around to start this game; it's a bit tricky getting into it, but I'll get there ;-)

Anywho: I do have some gameplay questions that any of you might be able to answer...
  • Killing NPCs - like someone in an open house: does this net you any negative "points"? I got no rank loss at the "Relations" screen and I can talk to people/guards like normal, but it seems weird that I could just go around stealing/killing without any penalty...
    -> I only wanted to loot the NPCs chests while he was upstairs, but it seems he heard me cause he went full aggro ;-)
  • Why can't I go back into the store after finishing the "tutorial"? It's locked...
  • Is it not possible to get officers for 0 gold anymore (with the "isn't that a bit too much"-question trick)?
  • Can I only hire one officer in the tavern at a time? Do I have to travel to another port to get the next chance?
  • On the character screen "Sailing" is marked green; this probably means that this is my "primary" skill which gets better faster than the others?
    I ask because I set skill distribution to "manual", not automatic, so this feature isn't in use anymore, right?
Thanks mates!

You only get negative reputation for killing unarmed characters.
That may need to be tweaked a bit in the future though.

Once the tutorial completes, the store should unlock again.
What starting nation did you choose?
And do you have a compile.log from your main game folder as well as a savegame?

0 gold for officer hires should indeed not be possible. That would be a bit too cheap....
You can haggle the price down better with higher skills.

You can get some cheap officers by asking some crew on your deck to follow you ashore.
You can then promote them to officer if you want.

There are Random officers sitting around in the taverns. Those can be generated anew by exciting the Tavern and coming back.
You can also ask the Tavern owner for a specific type of officer once a day.

Do you have a screenshot with your green Sailing skill? I'd like to be sure we're thinking of the same thing.
Skills that increase faster are marked with "tick marks" which do not show if you use manual skill progression.
In the Ship and Passengers interface, skills for the player that show in green mean that those skills are being contributed by an officer and not by yourself.
For Officers in the Passengers screen, that colour coding indicates which skills they contribute 50% and 100%.

# You only get negative reputation for killing unarmed characters.
Hm, what kind would that be? Like an unarmed woman? Everyone I've started a fight with unsheathed a sword...

# should indeed not be possible.
Well, that was a tip I read a view months back...

# You can then promote them to officer if you want.
Good tip, thanks!

# You can also ask the Tavern owner for a specific type of officer once a day.
That's the info I was looking for, thank you :)

# What starting nation did you choose?
"Personal"

# skills for the player that show in green mean that those skills are being contributed by an officer and not by yourself.
But at the beginning you don't have any officers, right?
And after some playing (was in a mine/dungeon on the "starting" island -> man, confusing as fuck!!), Luck is in green as well!?

cheers!

Attachments

• skills.jpg
    skills.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 151
Oh, and right now I talked with someone about grappling (2k gold) and it said it improved my skill. But it's still "1"?

And what's up with the warrior monks in "Abbey of the Maltese order"? They attack on sight... And there are these strange graphical-house glitches!

(I'm in Bridgetown btw.)

Attachments

• scr1.jpg
    scr1.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 128
  • scr2.jpg
    scr2.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Starting nation Personal on the Standard storyline is just the regular tutorial.
That one should unlock the store afterwards just fine! :shock

Some of the citizens in town have no weapons.

That Green skill indicates it is being boosted by an item.

Maybe that "increase skill" dialog doesn't quite work right with Auto Skill System off.
If so, that would be a bug.

The Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey is filled with cursed monks. So are its catacombs.
There way be interesting things to be found down there though.

Those strange things you noticed in that section of town are the BuildingSet structures.
They work a bit weird. Talk to the guy in Speightstown port for an "explanation" of some kind.

Thanks Dieter!

I've already marked that Abbey on my "to do list" ;-)

And after I went back to Speightstown, the shop is open again. I think all buildings were locked after the tutorial. So a re-entering to the town should have done the trick.

And now, I'm gonna have a word with the guy you mentioned... :D

Killing NPCs - like someone in an open house: does this net you any negative "points"? I got no rank loss at the "Relations" screen and I can talk to people/guards like normal, but it seems weird that I could just go around stealing/killing without any penalty...

I think that you don't lose reputation by killing citizens in their houses. That's a feature that was implemented in AoP2. I think it is an engine limitation...

Definitely not an engine limitation. :no
We could change that just fine, I'm sure. We just didn't do it. Yet.

Well, it's not a big deal, because you mostly find useless stuff anyway (except in the beginning, where every bandage counts^^)

Back