• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP KrisWood's Lyon Hoy small trader, 8 guns

Rider88

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
LH01-1.jpg

LH02.jpg

LH03.jpg

LH04.jpg

I've decided to take this project while I can't go any further on Castell Friedrichsburg conversion. There is not much work to do, so I think It will be finished pretty soon.
My next steps would be placing guns, creating a cab interior and making two more textures.

Lyon_hoy_v1.03

Nice choice Rider88, these small little merchantmen get overlooked a lot, and most people tend to focus on much larger vessels, but they were the backbone of coastal shipping. Plus she will also make for nice prize early in-game! :onya

I am really looking forward to this, we need more smaller ships :onya . Its a shame that the swivel guns don't fire independently of the cannons as separate gun batteries would probably make the battles better I think.

At the moment its just one big broadside then silence, another big broadside then silence etc. Imagine if the guns could fire at will (similar to Empire Total War) and the different decks if any, could be loaded with different types of ammo and reload at different speeds (lighter guns fire quicker than heavier ones for example). If this was made possible I think a new damage calculation method would go hand in hand with it as well, maybe something similar to PotBS or Empire Total War with each side having individual hit points.

Anyway thanks for doing this boat Rider good job. :)

Regards,

Awww warms my heart to see one of my ships being worked on! Thanks, and much love! I can't wait to see her in-game! :onya

Oh also, the grating texture was drawn by me so you can use it however you like. I don't believe FLS has any copyright on it. :)

Oh also, the grating texture was drawn by me so you can use it however you like. I don't believe FLS has any copyright on it. :)
Thanks! It saved me some time.

The ship is nearly finished. I've successfully exported the model to .gm format, although I've done the hull locators. Now I'm working on rigging locators and have to make the path, sailorspoints and two alternative skins. All this seems to be clear for me, except the path. Can somebody explain me how to make it, because all I know is that this is a plain object, similar to the upper deck but with holes on the places where guns, boats, masts etc. are situated (where player cannot walk). Is there anything else I should know to make it work correct?

P.S. No screens this time. I hope that very soon I will be able to post in-game screens with Lyon.

By path, do you mean the walkfile for the crew? Or do you mean the camera path on the ship?

There is a tutorial on walkfiles on page 120 in the PDF in my signature, it's a few years old, but it is still valid. I am not sure about the camera path though. :shrug

Thanks, but I mean the camera path. I have some experience with walk files, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Ahhh, ok, I thought that is what you meant, but I wanted to be sure. I am not much of a modeler, but I am fairly good at finding things. I did some searching through the forums and came up with something that may help you. It may be old news to you, but I will give you the link just in case. It's a series of posts from Inzane from several years ago where I believe he is giving step by step instructions for creating a path, it looks like it starts in THIS POST and continues through the next couple of pages.

I hope that helps mate, though this may have been something you have already seen. Let me know, and I'll keep looking and see if I can find something more for you.

Thank you! It is just what I was looking for! I'll try this as soon as I can.

Is there anything you could use help with that is not in the tools or maya? I can help with anything modeling or texturing related that would help this project progress more easily. :)

Is there anything you could use help with that is not in the tools or maya? I can help with anything modeling or texturing related that would help this project progress more easily. :)

Thanks, KrisWood! But all the 3d work is complete. There is only conversion work left. I think I will finish her in a few days.

The level of detail on this ship is just stunning! :onya I especially like the texture on the cathead. Could I possibly use it on my 38 gun frigate when the time comes to texture her?

The level of detail on this ship is just stunning! :onya I especially like the texture on the cathead. Could I possibly use it on my 38 gun frigate when the time comes to texture her?

It is not a texture. It is a 3d ornament. As for using it on your project, it is a question to KrisWood.

well I dont mean the cathead itself, thats just a box, no I mean the diamond pattern on the side of it. If that is a modeled on to the side of the cathead as well as textured on, then I guess that is different. My question was directed to either you or to Kriswood, as he has posted here as well. I was just curious because I thought it looked cool, and its not a big deal if Kriswood doesn't want me to use it.

Back