• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP KrisWood's Lyon Hoy small trader, 8 guns

This was one of the main resources I used for my rigging. The other was a late 17th century or early 18th century model of a dutch sloop that I don't remember now.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66447.html

The continuation of this thread is to ask help in getting the proper sailing characteristics for this ship. My 1st attempt had this ship unable to sail into the wind at all. It made the Carrack look good! The 2nd attempt had her sailing into the wind almost as good as sailing with the wind. I'm getting close now. These pics show her going as deep into the wind as she can without the sails "luffing", about where her best point of sail is, and the rig. Is this ok for this sail layout? Hoy-1.jpgHoy-2.jpgHoy-3.jpg

Because of the hull form, I would expect a vessel like that to be able to make between five and six points off the wind. (pointed about 55-66 degrees away from the wind, close-hulled.)

So that is more or less it then since she is a little over 60 degrees off the wind, unless I have it backwards. This ship does not like a direct tailwind and slows down considerably.

Wow, your wood-work is absolutely great! Makes those ships look much more real! :onya

Very nice, some ships have light wood textures in GOF 2 and it makes the ships look new and unrealistic. It would be awesome to see ships using a much more realistic wood texture.

Note that at least the deck texture should be light wood. No time to explain why now, have to leave at the moment.

That is correct. The deck still gets light wood. The ship is not ready yet. I must say, that I saw a good deck Texture in any ship.

Back