• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released La Licorne update

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
La Licorne is ready to sail with some new updates. These include sail and rigging changes, and in the COAS version the high camera bug is fixed too.

Here is a link to the COAS version.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/U898vDlOWv/COAS stuff/COAS repaired ships/La Licorne1.7z

Here is a link to the POTC version.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/aLwTpHi_wx/repaired ships/after beta2.2/La Licorne.7z

All that really needs fixing now is the reverse lighting bug on all of the yards on the main masts. La Licorne GOF2.jpg

EDIT: 5 hours later.....I just discovered that I made a spelling error and La Licorne had no paint at all! :facepalm The link to the POTC has the typo corrected so that she has the normal textures.

Where did that new paint scheme come from? Does she still look like La Licorne? :shock
La-Licorne.jpg

Where did that new paint scheme come from? Does she still look like La Licorne? :shock
Wait... she's meant to look like THAT Licorne? I can't believe I didn't realise this before. :facepalm
I hate to say it, but I don't think even the current PotC paint scheme really resembles that ship. The hull is very different, too.

Anyway... reverse lighting? That's the first I've heard of it on this ship. :modding

I just found a spelling error and fixed it. The link in post #1 is now to the good one. :oops:

Where did that comic book looking drawing come from? No version that I can recall has a brown bottom, whites sides, and blue stern. The current one would be closer if the tan sides were painted white.
With a figurehead change this could be either La Licorne or the Whydah.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/Rmys6-x-2I/POTC screenies/TheWhy4.jpg

Oh, the reverse lighting has been there for years on the ship that I stole those yards from last winter. They are one of those little details that never got talked about.

Wait... she's meant to look like THAT Licorne? I can't believe I didn't realise this before. :facepalm
Seb made both skins with the intention of them being the ship and character from Tintin.
They are even used as such in the game during the Silver Train sidequests in the Jack Sparrow storyline. That one features Seb's avatar Sir François de Hadoque as captain of La Licorne.

I hate to say it, but I don't think even the current PotC paint scheme really resembles that ship. The hull is very different, too.
She is not a perfect match for sure, but that's the best Seb managed to do at the time.
This is the original post where he posted her: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/my-recent-works.13257
Do you know any way to do better?

Where did that comic book looking drawing come from? No version that I can recall has a brown bottom, whites sides, and blue stern. The current one would be closer if the tan sides were painted white.
It came from the original Tintin comic book "Secret of the Unicorn":
h300468-360-360--tintin-le-secret-de-la-licorne.jpg

The movie version does have a somewhat different paint scheme, but the comic book one is the "REAL" one.

Just out of curiosity, what did people think she was supposed to represent? Of course I have always known, so I failed to realise that there was any confusion on the subject. :eek:ops2

I know nothing about Tintin. I thought that someone made the Heavy East Indiaman modeled loosely on a real ship and then someone decided that it looked a bit like a French ship and added some sails and details to it to make La Licorne.

Well, it seems I have forgotten most of what I used to know about PSP. This is poorly done even by my low standards. Is she close to what you want?La Licorne Tintin.jpg

I've got no objections to the original paint scheme. Not entirely sure why on the BIG picture above, the sides are white, but on the smaller comic book cover I posted she has yellow sides. :shock

Tintin is very cool! Comes recommend to check it out if ever you've got the chance. The new movie is brilliantly done too. :woot

She is not a perfect match for sure, but that's the best Seb managed to do at the time.
This is the original post where he posted her: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/my-recent-works.13257
Do you know any way to do better?
I would say that the chosen hull is just not suitable for it. The Licorne looks like a slightly larger ship-of-the-line, in the same style as the Soleil Royal, which the WarGalleon model definitely isn't.
I don't mean to insult Seb's work at all, and making the texture in the first place was probably a good idea, given the choice of ships we had at the time.
Here's a picture of one of the model ships from the new film (which by the way, I really enjoyed!):
tumblr_luo2nmzYsH1r4ap7so1_500.jpg

Compare it to this enlarged image of the comic book version, and you'll see they look remarkably similar.

Just out of curiosity, what did people think she was supposed to represent? Of course I have always known, so I failed to realise that there was any confusion on the subject. :eek:ops2
I just assumed it was based on a real ship of the same name. :p

I just assumed it was based on a real ship of the same name. :p

Makes sense. Unicorns were pretty common. That and Fame. And Experiment.

Ahh... It took me five minutes to pot this using my iPhone. That thing really gets on my nerves sometimes.

So... shall we just keep La Licorne as-is or do we want to do something to make her more accurate?

And indeed the new Tintin film is BRILLIANT! I love adventure movies and that one has LOTS of brilliant adventure.
Looking forward very much to the next one. :dance

How about renaming the existing La Licorne to the Whydah and making a new La Licorne based on the NL_Lineship? :nerbz

There is the crux of the problem. It could be repainted so it would be less wrong, but you really want a big rebuild or a new ship.

My suggestion... keep things as-is. Seb was happy with her being La Licorne so that'll do. :shrug

Fair enough, 'cos I'm certainly not going to do anything about it. :p

Back