• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Lag From Lots of Corpses

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I'm not sure whether it is because I was standing in a pile of corpses or because of the more complicated damage calculations from fencing, but performance in the boarding fight scene was not at all good.

After a second test, this doesn't seem so bad. I think this happened because my laptop had its power save settings still enabled.
Switched it to "High Performance" and it went back to normal. Or close to it anyway.

I renamed this and reopened the issue. While @Levis did do some work a few months back to improve on this, performance from this is still not stellar.
It isn't as bad as it was with my "power save settings enabled", but it IS a real issue and if we can improve on it, that would be welcome.

The main question is though: How bothersome is this in its current state? Does anyone else notice this too? And if so, how bad?

I will test again but from what I remember I only drop 1 or 2 fps if I'm surrounded by corpses.
Might be able to move some stuff to event calls to increase performance.

I will test again but from what I remember I only drop 1 or 2 fps if I'm surrounded by corpses.
It depends on how many of them there are. For me it definitely becomes noticeable with a whole pile of them all on top of each other.

Having my "power save settings" set wrong for a bit did make it extra obvious.
If you have any way of faking your computer to be 'worse', you may be able to see the "rough spots" in performance easier.

I'm not sure whether it is because I was standing in a pile of corpses or because of the more complicated damage calculations from fencing, but performance in the boarding fight scene was not at all good.
I'm playing the Mod 5-6 hours daily. Haven't noticed any performance drops when near a bunch of corpses. But I will definitely pay more attention to this. I'm not 100% satisfied with the performance in naval battles. I noticed fps drop when a large number of ships is in the battle (6 vs 6 or more), but still, it's 100 times better than with version 3.4 where I was struggling with screen chopping.

A pile of about 15 corpses gave me a 1 fps drop.... so for now I think I'm going to call this cannot confirm because @Mirsaneli also can't confirm

A pile of about 15 corpses gave me a 1 fps drop.... so for now I think I'm going to call this cannot confirm because @Mirsaneli also can't confirm
It's not as bad as it once was and is clearly made much worse depending on hardware/power save settings.
But I notice it even on best performance when the pile is big enough.

So is it a high priority to fix? Probably not. But it's definitely real.

well the game has to loop trough all corpses to see if you are close. I might be able to speed things up using a nearcharacters engine call. But need to test that.
Might be for BETA4 but I think ill move it on to beta5. I believe we've increased performance on land and sea quite a bit already in the last two months :p.

Might be for BETA4 but I think ill move it on to beta5. I believe we've increased performance on land and sea quite a bit already in the last two months :p.
I'm fine with not fixing it for now. As long as we remember it is there for the future.

So I've now changed this forum so we can mark real bugs as "Low Priority".
Just don't be confused by the colour; it is NOT the same as "Fixed". :wp

Back