• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Lagging, Crashing... I've got everything! :)

superkid

Sailor
I am playing CoAS for about a month now and everytime it lags a lot or it crashes a lot.

It mostly lags at a sea battle with many ships, at a crowded town and specially, at night.
I have lowered the textures quality, the sea quality, the foliage to none and no sea animation an these improved my performance, but it still lags at night and at sea battle with many ships. Also it lags when my player looks at see. (I have the Wicked Wench, if this has to do with it.)

It also crashes, but in normal numbers, expect some time which it crashed every time I entered the ship's menu from sailing (which is now miraculously fixed) and today when I did a huge battle with more than 10 ships it crashes every time before I board a ship. Also, only once, it showed a message which said runtime error, after I was dismasted.

My computer specs:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2000)
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz (2 CPUs)
2040 MB RAM
7,16 GB Hard drive disc space
DirectX 9.0c

I have installed the GoF 1.0 and 1.1 and I have placed the quick pirate nation fix. I play as Nathaniel Hawk and I have the Wicked Wench as I mentioned before.

Thanks in advance and please, at least, help me fix the lagging. It's my first game...

Installing GOF 1.1.2 will cure most of the combat crashings, but you have some others which appears to be system-related (like crashing in crowded towns).

The Wicked Wench, while not a crashing ship, may cause some troubles. Moor her for a time (in 1.1.2 mooring is cheap) and see if you game runs better. If so, sell her out.

Game slowdown when big ships are in sea combat is unavoidable at the moment. If you are slowing down without jerking use the "+" key to get the speed up and compensate. If you are jerking I have no solution for it.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Thanks a lot for your fast answer! I'll do what you said and post the results here!

Another question: At these sea battle with big ships my game is jerking... So I wanted to ask if my computer specs are good for the game, or that's the reason for lagging.

Thanks again.

I also have an old machine like you (Pentium4) and I get a bit of choppy frames when in a sea battle with 10 ships involved.
However, do u really have only 7 gigs on your HD left? That may not be enough and the bigest culprit in your crashes, apart from a low memory vid card (meaning if it is motherboard installed or a stand alone vid card).
I almost forgot what a crash is, since I installed the mod (very rare).

Another thing to keep in mind with this game is to be sure you keep your hard drive defragmented.It is more of an issue for crashes with POTC, but it does make a difference in performance with and can cause crashes with CoAS as well.

Defraggler is a good one, and it is completely free, and much better than the standard defrag program that comes with Windows. You can find out more about the program and download it it from HERE!

Thanks everyone for answering.

I installed GoF 1.1.1 + 1.1.2 and the crashes are a lot less!
I also found out that Wicked Wench is fine. The lagging was from it's size. Cause I took some much bigger ships and lagged more while smaller ships never lagged.
Now my hard drive space is 14.8 GB

About the defraggler, will it make a noticeable change to my computer, or I'll work as I was working before, but with a better performance of the game?

Defragging in really any way makes more space on your drive, it's really a great way to get alittle more performance out of your machine..

Back