• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Lands Unknown - A Next-Gen Historical RPG

Hi, yes I have seen this before, been following the development for some time and its pretty interesting. I have been in contact with the developer on Twitter and asked if he was happy for me to post his work on PA! which he was more than happy with and seems very approchable
Firstly, let me get this out of the way, I submitted an article about Lands Unknown to PiratesAhoy admin a few months ago, and was told it wasn't worthy of putting on the news pages, as the game was in such early development.

This is not a criticism by any means. I respect this decision, the admin devote their own time, and I respect them also. I just felt it was a shame, the developer was looking for feedback, advise and possibly even some help in development, and who better than the knowageable guys at PA! to lend a hand.

Anyway, to start with, this is not a development team, it is one guy, and to date, has developed the game on his own. Quite amazing when you look at what he has achieved so far (just take a look at some of his promo videos) and seems to be a very good unreal developer.

Secondly, there is a website for the game, here it is:

landsunknown

You probably know but it's also on Steam:

Steam Greenlight :: Lands Unknown

And here is the original promo trailer on his youtube channel:

Unfortunately, judging from some of his latest tweets, it looks like he may be stopping development until he gets more help/money. This is a huge shame in my book as it looks like he has done most of the groundwork for the game, but I suppose we all have to eat...........

Firstly, let me get this out of the way, I submitted an article about Lands Unknown to PiratesAhoy admin a few months ago, and was told it wasn't worthy of putting on the news pages, as the game was in such early development.
I have absolutely no memory of that and I'm not sure how that could have happened.
Sounds thoroughly unlike any of the PA! Admins. :shock

Pieter, that's what I thought too, you guys are normally very helpful, which is why I suggested PA! to the developer. I'm sure it just got missed, no hard feelings:cheers

Maps which are drawn as you explore, open world realistic sailing across the entire globe, cargo which is loaded and stowed manually by hand!

It's as if the developer took a wish list from the PA! community. Which is why I was so interested when I read about this project.

Having said that, how feasible it would be to develop and include these aspects remains to be seen.

Pieter, that's what I thought too, you guys are normally very helpful, which is why I suggested PA! to the developer. I'm sure it just got missed, no hard feelings:cheers
Either way, I'm sorry things somehow went awry.
At least it is now on the front page after all.
Better late than never, right?

@Silvertongue Thanks for posting that.

I didn't spend much time in the demo. I explored the land and the ship, but there was no indication of what the controls were or what might be possible. I didn't get to the scenario 3 ship battle. Walkthroughs might be helpful. Various videos show the game being much further advanced than the demo, and it would be interesting to play the more advanced game.

The kickstarter looked a bit ambitious, but might have gone a lot better with a good publicist. One guy even donated $1000. I certainly would have donated (enough to get a ship) if I'd known about it.

The biggest risk that I can see is not that the game might fail, or even that it might be abandoned by the developer, but that the game might not be fun for a lot of people.

The best space game I ever saw (outside Orbiter) was a tech demo. It was eventually abandoned by the developer when the publisher demanded it be dumbed down to an extreme degree and the developer wasn't willing to go to the extent the publisher wanted. It probably would have been similar to Elite Dangerous if the publisher hadn't been involved, and this was in the late 90's.

Hook

Last edited by a moderator:
Back